Confirmed with Link: DAL trades Brenden Morrow/3rd R '13 to PIT for Joe Morrow/5th R '13

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Apparently, Stars asked Morrow to waive yesterday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...plete-trade-for-dallas-captain-morrow-680766/

The Stars approached Brenden Morrow Saturday and asked if he would waive a no-trade clause in his contract to facilitate a trade to the Penguins. He took a night to ponder it, talked to his family, then gave it the OK.

"I don't want to quit on my teammates," he said. "I wanted to be a Dallas Star and win as a Dallas Star. But I guess it ruffles your feathers a little when you find out they don't see you as part of their future."

He sounds just as bitter as he did early this year when put on the 4th line.

Brand New Stars

I really do think that being in a winning environment will help him. Obviously there's no way he will perform in a Conn Smythe way like he did during Dallas' last run, but he could be a nice add. Not good enough to give away a great prospect though.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Yeah I totally get the issue Pens fans have. I don't understand why JM wasn't packaged in a deal for a more long term solution. Cause Morrow isn't long term by any means. He is a text book example of a player whose style has caught up with him. I don't think he can turn things around for significant amount of time no matter how hard he wants to.

And that's my point.

If the Pens FO soured big time on J.Morrow, then in a sense I get why they'd just take a shot in the dark and hope that B.Morrow can give them what he USED to be for a couple of months. They feel they're giving up nothing of value, so why not gamble.

But my point is this: By giving up J.Morrow, they have one less asset to use as a bargaining chip for say, and Iginla.

What makes matters worse is it looks like they may actually put Morrow with Malkin and Neal, and that very idea makes me physically ill.

jhr1986

Jul 2, 2012
DFWish
Remember that not only are these facebook posters casual fans, but they are casual hockey fans from Tx. Tx kids don't grow up playing pond hockey or hockey in jr. high/HS, and therefore they don't really understand the game dynamics. Most Stars fans don't actually have a clue about what is going on during a game, most don't know where each player should be and what they should be doing at any given time, which is understandable considering they don't really know the game. I don't want to defend these types too much because they are quite annoying in person when I actually do go to a game, but keep in mind that if only really knowledgeable fans went to games there would be perhaps a 1000 people in the building on a given night.

I think having a bunch of casual, clueless fans is related to why the AAC hardly ever gets really rocking like the arenas in Toronto/Edmonton/Pitt/Detroit etc...I really wish the Dallas fans could get loud on a consistent basis and pump up the energy in the building.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Just stopping by to say I'm very glad that it seems like the team finally won a trade.

Keeping my fingers crossed with Morrow 2.0.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Remember that not only are these facebook posters casual fans, but they are casual hockey fans from Tx. Tx kids don't grow up playing pond hockey or hockey in jr. high/HS, and therefore they don't really understand the game dynamics. Most Stars fans don't actually have a clue about what is going on during a game, most don't know where each player should be and what they should be doing at any given time, which is understandable considering they don't really know the game. I don't want to defend these types too much because they are quite annoying in person when I actually do go to a game, but keep in mind that if only really knowledgeable fans went to games there would be perhaps a 1000 people in the building on a given night.

I think having a bunch of casual, clueless fans is related to why the AAC hardly ever gets really rocking like the arenas in Toronto/Edmonton/Pitt/Detroit etc...I really wish the Dallas fans could get loud on a consistent basis and pump up the energy in the building.

Is going to take winning and winning for a significant time to get the casuals to come back to the AAC and begin growing their kids up on the game of hockey. That had a great start the first 15 years, but obviously the past 5 have down just as much damage as the first 15 did good.

HatchtrickBateman

Jun 29, 2011
Lincoln, NE
He sounds just as bitter as he did early this year when put on the 4th line.
EDIT: ^^this guy is what I'm talking about. You've never been in the locker room. A player doesn't get as much respect from his teammates for as long as he has without being a good leader.

How did he sound bitter then? This has been brought up multiple times but all anybody can ever link me to is that heika interview, in which he said that he thinks he's still got it. If that's what you're talking about, I think your reaching. Obviously the guy loves the organization, and wanted to finish his career here. nothing wrong with that. This will just have more people criticizing morrow, but I think some forget how tough this can be for a player. Almost similar to how the fans reacted when dallas didn't re sign mo and he went on to sign with the wings.."traitor" "ruined his legacy"..etc.. Btw I'm not saying you are one of these people, but I think we should sit back and take a sec to realize what this team means to Brenden.

jhr1986

Jul 2, 2012
DFWish
Is going to take winning and winning for a significant time to get the casuals to come back to the AAC and begin growing their kids up on the game of hockey. That had a great start the first 15 years, but obviously the past 5 have down just as much damage as the first 15 did good.

I think you are right on; the Stars haven't done themselves any favors over the past few years. Part of me is sorry to see Brenden go just because I appreciate the blood he has given this team, and it's evident that he does care about this team. However that is just an emotional reaction, and a hockey team is a business. The other part of me is really excited to see this team go out and find young guys and commit to rebuilding this team with a bunch of good young players that have the chance to grow together. Whether it brings the cup back to Dallas or not, it is still the right direction to be moving.

Perhaps in a few years we'll get to see the AAC rocking like Reunion.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
How did he sound bitter then? This has been brought up multiple times but all anybody can ever link me to is that heika interview, in which he said that he thinks he's still got it. If that's what you're talking about, I think your reaching. Obviously the guy loves the organization, and wanted to finish his career here. nothing wrong with that. This will just have more people criticizing morrow, but I think some forget how tough this can be for a player. Almost similar to how the fans reacted when dallas didn't re sign mo and he went on to sign with the wings.."traitor" "ruined his legacy"..etc.. Btw I'm not saying you are one of these people, but I think we should sit back and take a sec to realize what this team means to Brenden.

Definitely don't think this will ruin his legacy. And definitely don't think Modano ruined his signing for the Wings but that's for another thread.

Proof wise, I have none other than Heika's interview. I'm not even saying being bitter is a bad thing. I know I would be. My opinion is that he thinks he's still has it and he feels, like Modano did, that he was being pushed out before he's ready to be done with the franchise. The writing has been on the wall for two or three years, and he's lucky to have survived this long imo. Just little quotes like "ruffles your feathers when they don't view you as part of their future," irritate me and make me believe he's bitter. You're not 27/30 anymore Brenden. You're 34 and have almost completely ruined your body with your style of play.

I'm sure I'm even a little bitter over the situation, just on the opposite side, because for four/five years heading into a new season we heard how healthy he was and how he's never felt better and how he feels young ago and ready to go. It's just irritating.

I appreciate his play for the franchise. He's put a ton into it and I truly believe he wants this team to win with or without him. But I think his leadership is way overrated based on two playoff runs, one of which we only played 7 games in. Under his leadership, he has led this team to a franchise record of non-playoff seasons but yet that never gets addressed all because he put his heart and soul out there for 18 games in the Spring of 2008.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
EDIT: ^^this guy is what I'm talking about. You've never been in the locker room. A player doesn't get as much respect from his teammates for as long as he has without being a good leader.

A good leader doesn't save himself for the Olympics when his team is fighting like hell for a playoff spot.

A good leader doesn't yap and whine to the refs to an extent that the coach publicly says he thinks the team's "subculture" needs to be addressed.

Morrow hasn't been a good leader for some time. If you think I have to be in the room to have that opinion than maybe we shouldn't even criticize players without being on the coaching staff either. Probably shouldn't have a trade forum either because we aren't real GM's. Lets ditch HockeysFuture on the whole because we aren't pro scouts too.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
I'd just like to point it that a couple of Pens fans have said they like the trade because it will make them "hard to play against.." :laugh:

Secondly, many Stars fans here were clamoring to trade B. Morrow at last year's deadline. Aren't we all glad that Joe decided to hang in & let BM rebuild some trade value?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I know he is a broken down human but I can honestly see him giving every last drop he's got to win a Cup and show Dallas he can still be productive.

Good luck to him.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Congrats on getting Joe Morrow. He's probably the most physically gifted Pens prospect. He has blazing speed both straight ahead and laterally. He's very smooth and has a bomb of a shot. The only questions are his release to his shot which is a little slow and his defensive game. He has big offensive potential though. I wouldn't make much of his stats in the AHL. He plays on a weak offensive team down there and isn't getting huge PP time yet because they have him working on his defensive game.

I can only hope as a Pens fan that Brenden Morrow will be rejuvenated by a change of scenery. If that happens then this may work out for both sides. Pens get a win now player and a decent pick in the upcoming draft. Stars get another building block on D and a late pick.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
At least it isn't the "team media" (is that what we should call DBD?) trying to convince you that Cole for Ryder/3rd R is a great trade.

Wouldn't DBD just be called a fan blog? They aren't affiliated with the team, so I don't know why you'd call it team media.

The Cole trade made this trade even more likely to happen. Just for that reason alone it's a positive move, IMO.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
I didn't think it was overpayment, I think it was a good deal for both sides. As Ray Shero said the Pens already had a load/good amount of Defensive Prospects and could definetly use Morrows leadership, experience and size to help out the team. Pittsburgh is now, they're trying to go for another cup. And it's a great D prospect for Dallas who don't have alot, I believe. I could honestly see Pittsburgh winning the Cup this year.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
If they win the Cup, it won't be because they added Morrow. It'll be because they're a damn good hockey team.

Put anyone beside Malkin or Crosby and they will score. The person being fed by Geno or Cros can score with there eyes closed. Sean Avery just has to put his stick on the ice and he'll get points, lol. I thought Morrow used to be an all-star? Is he really a complete bumb now?

jdpitt05

Jan 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
Oh Good God.... :shakehead

To be fair, much worse was said about Niskanen when we aqcuired him. He has been terrific for us. I wouldn't underestimate the effect of moving to a winning team while playing on a line with the 2nd best player in the world and a 40 g scorer. Bylsma's system almost cater's to grinders, his role on that line will be pretty simple.
Battle for pucks on the boards, stand in front of the net, pass to Geno lol.

That's not to say i'm not worried about this deal. Morrow has looked very old and ineffective. Time will tell i suppose. I do think we overpaid, but that all depends on how far we get into playoffs with Morrow. Good luck with Joe, hope he reaches his potential and becomes a solid dman for you guys.

MetalGodAOD*

A good leader doesn't save himself for the Olympics when his team is fighting like hell for a playoff spot.

A good leader doesn't yap and whine to the refs to an extent that the coach publicly says he thinks the team's "subculture" needs to be addressed.

Morrow hasn't been a good leader for some time. If you think I have to be in the room to have that opinion than maybe we shouldn't even criticize players without being on the coaching staff either. Probably shouldn't have a trade forum either because we aren't real GM's. Lets ditch HockeysFuture on the whole because we aren't pro scouts too.

This, I didn't want to say anything in the Morrow appreciation thread because it's not the right place. But the Morrow I know wasn't a leader.

For reference, I got into hockey in 2009. The Stars playoff series against SJ made me a true fan. While Brenden was a beast there... the next 4 years of fan-dome shaped my perception of him. Between mailing it in for the Olympics, his comments about "working harder" in the offseason after every playoff exit, the passive-aggressive whining to the media, to the obviously culture in the room, I never was impressed with his Captaincy.

I respect what he did for this franchise and somewhat sympathize with the whole "gave my body/blood," but he also got the softest landing of any Dallas Star. Niewy handled him with white gloves and made sure he was going somewhere he could thrive. I think he got anything that he felt he deserved.

I for one, am glad he's gone for a few different reasons.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah I totally get the issue Pens fans have. I don't understand why JM wasn't packaged in a deal for a more long term solution. Cause Morrow isn't long term by any means. He is a text book example of a player whose style has caught up with him. I don't think he can turn things around for significant amount of time no matter how hard he wants to.

I guess they probably didn't want to get into the bidding war with the bigger names.

Either way heck of a deal for you guys IMO. While Morrow is still young and raw it's a lot better then getting a late round 1st that more than likely is going to take at least 4 years to show dividends.

After move like this you really have to like what Nieuwendyk has done and feel some relief knowing that if there are more moves to come that he can make the right moves.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I don't know, Joe Morrow is a promising prospect to be sure, but I'm not certain I like this deal as much as everyone else. The Stars do have a lot of young defensive prospects and they're certainly adding to a strength here with young Morrow.

That said, he's not NHL-ready yet and neither is Oleksiak, nor Benn, and I have my doubts with Larson. I would have hoped the Stars could land some NHL-ready young defenceman to give them a bit of stability there without rushing these prospects along. Maybe that will come in the next deal, however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad