Player Discussion Dakota Joshua | Shut up and give him his money!

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hindsight only applies if its clear that it wasnt a great decision to make at the time. The entire argument is that we dont need him to fight when there is nothing to be gained by it at the end of a game against a bottom feeder. That is true regardless of reasonable outcome.

I would want them to stand up when its a truly dirty play, is egregious in some way, is against one of our star players, or could reasonably have a positively impact on the team (early in a game, in a playoff series, setting the tone for the next matchup against an important opponent, etc).

Saying that we cant decide at the time it happened that fighting Entwhistle with 3.5 minutes left in a 4-2 game against Chicago after a cleanish hit on Garland where Garland wasnt hurt was good or bad and we only know its bad in hindsight with the injury is something I disagree with. It was stupid because of a potential injury.
disagree. Joshua was being a good line mate and teammate. Odds were extremely low he would get hurt. Shit happens he's no dummy i dont know why you would call him stupid

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
HF I hate fighting in hockey. No other professional sport has it. Its childish, and for the most part its catering to Americans who don't really care about hockey. So include me in the group that think fighting is ignorant and stupid.

Sure, beat the crap out of a guy who makes a dirty hockey play, and take a major and get suspended for a game. But two asshole dropping their gloves and circling each other for 20 seconds then slugging it out is for Neanderthals. And childish hockey fans.
I think not having fighting has some pretty nasty consequences to the players.

The way of the Rat becomes much more enticing.

The players could not care less about a $5000 fine. They wont even notice it on their paycheck.

Reactions: Nucker101

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
What I don't get is that if fighting is so important for policing to the sport, then why aren't there fights during the playoffs? Shouldn't fighting ramp up during those games with more intense hitting and play in general? Instead fighting drops during those games.

I grew up as a huge fan of Probert and other fighters but the older I get the more I see the argument with fighting as the same as the argument against wearing helmets when that was made back in the 90s.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
What I don't get is that if fighting is so important for policing to the sport, then why aren't there fights during the playoffs? Shouldn't fighting ramp up during those games with more intense hitting and play in general? Instead fighting drops during those games.

I grew up as a huge fan of Probert and other fighters but the older I get the more I see the argument with fighting as the same as the argument against wearing helmets when that was made back in the 90s.
Because the pointless fights wont happen.

Especially now with the instigator rules.

Finnish hockey is now suffering the way of the rat because fighting is pretty much banned.

Reactions: Nucker101

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
The NHL allows fighting and has those same illegal hits. Fighting doesn't stop that from happening. Canuck fans should know that best since we experienced the Naslund/Moore/Bertuzzi incident plus us having Cooke and Torres and other "rats".

Having Ohlund get beaten up because Matt Cooke was out there throwing cheapshots doesn't help anything.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

Exactly, because fighting if for idiots, and when games count players try not to do stupid things. Only a moron lets himself be intimidated by idle threats and drawn into a fight during a hockey game. Players are too smart nowadays to engage in a useless fights where the only reward is penalties and injuries.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You have to kinda' feel for Joshua. That stupid fight in Chicago against a bottom-feeding team like the Hawks, was almost a complete waste of energy. And it could cost him the last two months of the season.

And it's also probably going to cost him dearly at contract time. I guess it'll make it easier for the Canucks to sign him. Because otherwise he'd be a still relatively young UFA coming off a career year.

Reactions: I am toxic

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Joshua’s injury might be a blessing in disguise when it comes to re-signing him.

It's a totally fair point, he probably realizes how a single play can just...end his career earnings. He's never made more than league minimum so I wouldn't be shocked if he took like 2.5MM x 3 years in a signing bonus heavy contract just to make sure that he's getting a payday that can set himself up for life while de-risking against a freak injury.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It's a totally fair point, he probably realizes how a single play can just...end his career earnings. He's never made more than league minimum so I wouldn't be shocked if he took like 2.5MM x 3 years in a signing bonus heavy contract just to make sure that he's getting a payday that can set himself up for life while de-risking against a freak injury.
There's that aspect, but also, its extremely unlikely that he will hit 20 goals this year whereas he had a pretty good chance of doing so if he wasn't injured. And while pace is important, players get paid more on final totals than on pace totals, and having had scored 20 goals as a physical winger was going to really help his case.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
And to a lesser extent with DeSmith and the Minny game
I just hope he reignites the chemistry he had before the injury. Him, Garland, and Blueger were dominating teams and sometimes time away can kill that momentum/chemistry. Hope when hes back they immediately get back to that.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
Appears that Joshua is basically confirmed to be back in today, but with Boeser and Miller. If he clicks there maybe that's for the best, but I'm definitely hoping that he can reunite with Garland and Blueger and reignite what was the best 3rd line in the NHL, feel like this team has missed that line quite a bit since Joshua got hurt.

Reactions: David71

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Yup, he looked great. Lock him up, he really changes the complexion of the forward group

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad