Player Discussion Dakota Joshua | Shut up and give him his money!

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Actually incredible how different he looks compared to the beginning of the season when he wasn't taking the body consistently and looked sluggish.

at the beginning of the year, PDG came in fantastic shape and totally prepared and joshua came in the way guys in the 1970s used to show up to training camp

but the league caught up to PDG and joshua literally playing himself into game shape ended up lapping him

i imagine joshua comes to camp in the best shape of his life in the fall and he goes on to an improbable mike knuble-type career

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Dhaliwal said during the post-game that the Canucks would like to get Joshua done at sub-$3M AAV but "that won't happen", it will be above $3M and if he keeps playing like this in the playoffs could get towards $4M AAV.

Of note, Allvin has also suspended all extension talks during the playoffs, so nothing will happen until afterward.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Dhaliwal said during the post-game that the Canucks would like to get Joshua done at sub-$3M AAV but "that won't happen", it will be above $3M and if he keeps playing like this in the playoffs could get towards $4M AAV.

Of note, Allvin has also suspended all extension talks during the playoffs, so nothing will happen until afterward.

That wasn't happening since January. Not a chance he was ever signing for less than $3 million per, and now it looks like it'll cost at least $4 million.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
We have really benefited from great acquisitions under the new regime: Joshua and Zadorov. Lindholm appears to be getting it together. Plus Miller from the previous regime. I feel like I'm forgetting someone too. There was a time when we'd go decades without acquiring a single impact player.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

you know

Our biggest advantage before July 1st is that we can give him 8 years instead of 7

If he's willing to take under 4m, i will give him 8 years

He will be 34 by the end of it, which isn't that bad consider how much the cap would have jumped by then

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Mikheyev would likely need to be shipped out to make room if we want to keep Hronek, Zadorov, and Joshua.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
We have really benefited from great acquisitions under the new regime: Joshua and Zadorov. Lindholm appears to be getting it together. Plus Miller from the previous regime. I feel like I'm forgetting someone too. There was a time when we'd go decades without acquiring a single impact player.
Hronek?

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
This team is just different with Joshua in the lineup, his weeks injured were a noticeable period for the Canucks and I feel like they just play their best hockey with him out there. It feels weird that a journeyman like him who came in with no expectations from us and little achievement in his career up until this season and he has just simply played himself into what feels like an essential energy power forward who just transforms whatever line he plays on, especially if he's paired with Garland. His forechecking ability and motor is truly something and his physical presence cannot be understated. There's always some risk with rewarding one-year wonder players in the risk of them being a flash in a pan, but I'm more than ready to give Joshua whatever contract he wants. He could be a cornerstone 3rd liner for us for years in the same way someone like Lowry is for WPG for example.

Reactions: Nucker101

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
This team is just different with Joshua in the lineup, his weeks injured were a noticeable period for the Canucks and I feel like they just play their best hockey with him out there. It feels weird that a journeyman like him who came in with no expectations from us and little achievement in his career up until this season and he has just simply played himself into what feels like an essential energy power forward who just transforms whatever line he plays on, especially if he's paired with Garland. His forechecking ability and motor is truly something and his physical presence cannot be understated. There's always some risk with rewarding one-year wonder players in the risk of them being a flash in a pan, but I'm more than ready to give Joshua whatever contract he wants. He could be a cornerstone 3rd liner for us for years in the same way someone like Lowry is for WPG for example.

I think if he was banging in a lot of rebounds and deflections and/or playing with star players, there would be a larger risk of this being an outlier contract season.

But he's been making very skilled plays all year long, and doing it on the third line. He has nifty hands in tight and can pick corners without much time and space. His presence in the lineup also gives them a pseudo-enforcer who can keep other teams in line if things get chippy.

Reminds me of the player we all wanted Zack Kassian to be. Extremely valuable player and worth paying to retain

Last edited:
Reactions: Nuck Bonino

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
right now
Pay him whatever the f*** it takes.

Is our 5th or 6th most important player. Totally irreplaceable.

in this moment, definitely don't care and agree with the sentiment, but hoping they can settle on something close to $4m rather than north of 5

playoff hype is how guys like tom wilson get the contracts they got

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011
For everyone one saying pay him

- of course - not in dispute -

but let’s take the time to appreciate the fact that we have a guy out-playing his contract - a necessary component of any team that wants to go the distance.

Good job management, coaches and Dakota

Reactions: Flik and Nucker101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad