Player Discussion Dakota Joshua | Shut up and give him his money!

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I'm fine going 5 years to get the cap hit down. The downside of a deal like that is probably Pat Maroon ... and that's not even bad.
IMO after Hronek, Joshua is the next important player to get under contract....but the first for serious negotiation.

Players I want to see the management team try as hard as they can to keep under contract:

Hronek
Joshua
Zadorov

These are the unicorn type guys the canucks don't really have in the system.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
IMO after Hronek, Joshua is the next important player to get under contract....but the first for serious negotiation.

Players I want to see the management team try as hard as they can to keep under contract:

Hronek
Joshua
Zadorov

These are the unicorn type guys the canucks don't really have in the system.

Joshua is a higher-priority negotiation to me because he's a pending UFA as opposed to RFA. You can extend Hronek in October. Joshua you have 90 days to get something done and the clock is ticking.

Reactions: RobsonStreet

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Joshua is a higher-priority negotiation to me because he's a pending UFA as opposed to RFA. You can extend Hronek in October. Joshua you have 90 days to get something done and the clock is ticking.
Absolutely agree...second most important player but #1 on the prioritization list.

Reactions: MS

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
Had he not blown out his knee, things would have likely worked out quite differently; and they probably still will when he's fully healed (though quite possibly not in Vancouver).
I agree, just noting the value of this sort of player on the open market. Joshua has less of a track record but has size and physical play. It’s probably going to cost quite a bit to keep him.

If he had a longer track record of productivity, we’d be sweating a Tom Wilson type contract.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i really like joshua but i don't want any part of giving him term or dollars. his offensive production is driven by an inflated shooting percentage and while he's a good forechecker and a good penalty killer without the offense he's not worth more than a couple million. would rather go after a couple of players like carrier, stenlund or barabanov at sub 2mil each

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You can't 'teach' size, skill and truculence. Both Joshua and Big Z should be priority signings for the Canucks this off-season.

Will they have to overpay? Probably? But how are you going to replace them if they both bolt as UFA's.?

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
i really like joshua but i don't want any part of giving him term or dollars. his offensive production is driven by an inflated shooting percentage and while he's a good forechecker and a good penalty killer without the offense he's not worth more than a couple million. would rather go after a couple of players like carrier, stenlund or barabanov at sub 2mil each
The quantity over quality approach might make some sense if you don't believe Joshua is a top 6 guy (or very close to it), I don't see how anyone that has watched the Canucks games this year can say that about Joshua at this point. his ability to read the game and make high level plays stands out like the bull at a bull fight.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Absolutely agree...second most important player but #1 on the prioritization list.
I've been banging the drum all season that Joshua is a top priority signing..but looking at the big picture, Hronek has to be the top priority...Its imperative that the D is sorted first and foremost.

Joshua should be priority #2...

Nobody talks about it much, but it would be sweet if we could have DeSmith again next season.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Hope he plays worse the rest of the way...so we can afford him in the off season. If he keeps this up hes 100% gone. Maybe if someone can frame him for embezzlement or something to lower his value... I could start a rumour that he only tips 5%.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
You weren’t alone. I think some people had preconceived takes on him and just assumed he was a goon. Just like there’s a bias from some fans players who love players that are big/physical, I think there’s also a bias against those types from other fans who just assume that those players lack talent.

I didn't have any preconceived takes about him because of his size. I honestly had no clue who he was when the Canucks signed him. It was based on my observations of him when he started playing for them last season. He looked like a useful player, but didn't seem to quite have the skill to make it as a top 6 winger.

I'm not sure who deserves more credit for what Joshua has become: pro-scouting or player development.

Regardless, the emergence of players like Joshua combined with the FA status of so many key players is why I am totally on board with the Canucks "going for it" this season. Crazy as it sounds, this might be the best chance they have with so many players outperforming their contracts. It's hard to see them replicating it in the coming seasons.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
I've been so impressed with him and think he and Garland are the unsung heroes this season. Definitely wouldn't be opposed to paying up for Joshua this summer. His drive does not appear to be manufactured for a contract year to me - I think he can keep it up.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I just remembered today that sometime before this season Tocchet said something like ‘he can be a 20 goal scorer in this league’…

At the time I thought that was Tocchet trying to give Joshua some confidence and get him to commit harder to his game…little did I think Joshua could actually be a legit 20 goal scorer.

While I know he hasn’t scored his 20 yet, it does look like that was a really astute call on Tocchet’s part because Joshua sure does look like he has the hands and the offensive instincts to score 20.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Had he not blown out his knee, things would have likely worked out quite differently; and they probably still will when he's fully healed (though quite possibly not in Vancouver).

I agree, just noting the value of this sort of player on the open market. Joshua has less of a track record but has size and physical play. It’s probably going to cost quite a bit to keep him.

If he had a longer track record of productivity, we’d be sweating a Tom Wilson type contract.

I won't say Joshua has less of a track record. We signed Mik who was coming off a 21 goal 32 point in 53 game season. Otherwise, it's more apples and oranges.

At the end of the day, we (over)paid Mk to be a top 6 player. It looks like to keep Joshua our best bet is to pay him to be a top 6 player.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I've been banging the drum all season that Joshua is a top priority signing..but looking at the big picture, Hronek has to be the top priority...Its imperative that the D is sorted first and foremost.

Joshua should be priority #2...

Nobody talks about it much, but it would be sweet if we could have DeSmith again next season.
Hronek, however, is a RFA with arbitration rights. He isn't likely to be given an offer sheet and if he was given one that would blow a canuck offer out of the water the compensation would be significant. His AAV is essentially known and that is enough to move forward with planning (if he doesn't file for arbitration this is likely a contract that gets done right before or right after camp opens...you can't hold other things up for that).

As a UFA Joshua would take priority from a get the contract negotiated ASAP stand point. Not from an player importance stand point.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Hronek, however, is a RFA with arbitration rights. He isn't likely to be given an offer sheet and if he was given one that would blow a canuck offer out of the water the compensation would be significant. His AAV is essentially known and that is enough to move forward with planning (if he doesn't file for arbitration this is likely a contract that gets done right before or right after camp opens...you can't hold other things up for that).

As a UFA Joshua would take priority from a get the contract negotiated ASAP stand point. Not from an player importance stand point.

You don't want Hronek getting anywhere near arbitration or offer sheets for the same reason as Pettersson. The end result could be a 1-year deal that walks him to UFA, and if you match an offer sheet you can't trade a player for a year.

I suspect if Hronek is threatening arbitration or approaches offer sheet availability, he'll be traded.

Reactions: Hodgy

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
You don't want Hronek getting anywhere near arbitration or offer sheets for the same reason as Pettersson. The end result could be a 1-year deal that walks him to UFA, and if you match an offer sheet you can't trade a player for a year.

I suspect if Hronek is threatening arbitration or approaches offer sheet availability, he'll be traded.
It doesn't have to mean anything. Players file for arbitration all the time and rarely get there. I'm saying he is a protected asset for them at this point and in the near future. You also know about where his AAV is going to be such that if you deem a player like Joshua important you can determine what you can give him as a deal.

Hronek also isn't anywhere near Pettersson in terms of value or caliber of player.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Wow! Seems like an eternity since Joshua was getting called out by the coach for being out of shape and playing uninspired. What a turn around!
It will be interesting moving forward to see, assuming he signs a long term deal, if he needs the tough love approach from time to time like many big physical players.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Interested to see if he has any loyalty to the Canucks and Rick for his career taking an upswing.

4 years 10 million is a great deal for both sides

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm getting Pat Maroon vibes from Joshua.....Maroon bounced around in the minors for years, before hitting his stride in his mid-to late 20's. Two Cups later with St. Louis and Tampa, he's still playing with Minnesota at age 35.

Maroon was always a beast in the playoffs....where time and space are shut down, and physical battles along the wall and in front of the net take on more vital importance. Predicting the Joshua will be an important guy in these upcoming playoffs.

Obviously for contract reasons, his future in Vancouver is uncertain. But he'll be an effective player moving forward, wherever he ends up.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
He's the type of player who'll go for the bag as they say. I can see a team with a team like the Ducks or Hawks overpaying him. I think he is replaceable. One guy I'd target in a trade would be Beck Malenstyn. Or Kiefer Sherwood as a UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad