Player Discussion Dakota Joshua | Shut up and give him his money!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'll never understand fans who cheer wildly and get excited when two players drop their mitts and start flailing away with haymakers.

I don't know how many posters have ever been in a fight while on skates, but it's bordering on the impossible to do much damage throwing punches. More likely, a player is going to land a punch on the hockey helmet, either breaking a pinkie or even a hand.

But the real danger is losing your lid, and then landing on the ice unprotected. Or players who've dislocated or torn shoulder muscles or rotator cuff injuries from being twisted around while on something as unstable as a skate blade. Or even having any part of the body sliced by a skate blade.

Even though the league and its teams have been sued by former enforcers and their families for traumatic brain injuries and concussions sustained in fights, the NHL apparently would rather go to court than do something about fighting.

The Canucks need Joshua on the ice, not practicing with a non-contract jersey for upwards of a month. But I guess until Bettman or the NHLPA decide to do something, valuable guys will continue to get hurt in meaningless scraps.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So you mean every other person watching hockey not you?

You dont understand ANYONE?
Most fights these days are pointless coming after clean hits where nobody was hurt and it's hard to want to see those fights in the game. Fights with real emotion behind them, like in a heated playoff series, are the only ones I want to see these days.

Reactions: Indiana

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think the Canucks are going to think long and hard about resigning him if he comes back and the team suddenly gets better.

I get people don't want to overpay for a guy having a career year at age 27 but who else is in the system that plays like him?
Quick answer...nobody.

Reactions: wetcoast

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think the Canucks are going to think long and hard about resigning him if he comes back and the team suddenly gets better.

I get people don't want to overpay for a guy having a career year at age 27 but who else is in the system that plays like him?

I tend to agree. The team lacks what he brings and he’s young enough that a 3 year deal shouldn’t be an issue.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Does not come without significant risk but might be worth it.

The thing is. That Garland Blueger Joshua line was so great because of how low their collective cap hit is. Resigning both Blueger and Joshua to significantly more expensive contracts kind of takes that advantage away.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

The thing is. That Garland Blueger Joshua line was so great because of how low their collective cap hit is. Resigning both Blueger and Joshua to significantly more expensive contracts kind of takes that advantage away.
Fair enough but is anyone really going to offer Blueger a big deal anyways?

Joshua is going to command more because the rarity of him as a player and the Canucks really don't have anyone like him, they would be wise to resign him and then hope that Lekkerimaki can slide into the top 6 and a larger contract is either not resigned or moved on the wing.

Risk is alwasy out there and it's one thing to be risky when the Canucks are a middling team but they are looking really good why stagnate becasue of a little risk?

If Joshua wants anywhere near three no thank you. Under that I’m totally down.
3X3 going forward is affordable for Joshua but I think some team might offer him more hard to say.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

It’s part of it sure, but they were so good that a higher cap wouldn’t take away from their success. In 352 minutes together they had a 60xGF% and 67GF% averaging 3.58 GF/60 and 1.70 GA/60. Having a 3rd line be that successful makes it easier to not spend the raises in the top 6. Although that would assume their chemistry holds.

That said, Suter played well in the Blueger role and could take it if Blueger moves on, and it’s possible Podz could step into the Joshua role.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tell me again if you even remember the stupid fight that Joshua was in where he hurt his hand and is now week-to-week.

Unfortunately his absence has left a big hole in the lineup, particularly on the third line and has impacted the other guys up and down the lineup.

Just my opinion. But sometimes 'standing up for your teammates' means you stay in the lineup and help them where they need the help the most.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Tell me again if you even remember the stupid fight that Joshua was in where he hurt his hand and is now week-to-week.

Unfortunately his absence has left a big hole in the lineup, particularly on the third line and has impacted the other guys up and down the lineup.

Just my opinion. But sometimes 'standing up for your teammates' means you stay in the lineup and help them where they need the help the most.
This was the reason Joshua was signed. toughness and physicality. turns out he's a lot more than that and it sucks having him on the sidelines. Like it or not, fighting is still part of the game.....a bigger part recently with that Jackass in NY running around starting shit every night. A month ago i said i had no interest in Matthieu Olivier when his name came up as a possible target. I have since changed my mind.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Yes this has been the prevailing wisdom
In Abby where guys got hurt getting wrecked by other teams goons right?
Who needs protection for Lekkerimaki

Im sure you'll be happy to see Hughes and Pettersson getting smashed and Zadorov Joshua and Myers just standing there doing nothing so they can stay in the lineup if they hurt their hands

Yes we need more Erikssons Mikhayevs and Suters to just stay in the lineup and help their teammates

Reactions: NailsHoglander

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Yes this has been the prevailing wisdom
In Abby where guys got hurt getting wrecked by other teams goons right?
Who needs protection for Lekkerimaki

Im sure you'll be happy to see Hughes and Pettersson getting smashed and Zadorov Joshua and Myers just standing there doing nothing so they can stay in the lineup if they hurt their hands

Yes we need more Erikssons Mikhayevs and Suters to just stay in the lineup and help their teammates
Sure but... we were up 2 goals on a bottom feeding Blackhawks team with less than 4 minutes to go and Garland wasn't even hit that hard.

Guy just wanted to fight and broke his hand doing so. If Hughes or Petey etc were the target of the hit and it was dirty then sure go fight the guy. Or if it's early enough in a game to set the tone go for it. If it's at the end of a game you are winning against a bad team and the guy wasn't even hit hard... just fcking shove the guy don't break your hand punching metal.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Sure but... we were up 2 goals on a bottom feeding Blackhawks team with less than 4 minutes to go and Garland wasn't even hit that hard.

Guy just wanted to fight and broke his hand doing so. If Hughes or Petey etc were the target of the hit and it was dirty then sure go fight the guy. Or if it's early enough in a game to set the tone go for it. If it's at the end of a game you are winning against a bad team and the guy wasn't even hit hard... just fcking shove the guy don't break your hand punching metal.
hindsight is 20/20

i want my team sticking up for each other.

Fighting with helmets and visors and gloves off is kinda weird.

Almost rather see fighting with gloves on.

Reactions: stampedingviking

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
So you mean every other person watching hockey not you?

You dont understand ANYONE?
HF I hate fighting in hockey. No other professional sport has it. Its childish, and for the most part its catering to Americans who don't really care about hockey. So include me in the group that think fighting is ignorant and stupid.

Sure, beat the crap out of a guy who makes a dirty hockey play, and take a major and get suspended for a game. But two asshole dropping their gloves and circling each other for 20 seconds then slugging it out is for Neanderthals. And childish hockey fans.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
hindsight is 20/20

i want my team sticking up for each other.

Fighting with helmets and visors and gloves off is kinda weird.

Almost rather see fighting with gloves on.
Hindsight only applies if its clear that it wasnt a great decision to make at the time. The entire argument is that we dont need him to fight when there is nothing to be gained by it at the end of a game against a bottom feeder. That is true regardless of reasonable outcome.

I would want them to stand up when its a truly dirty play, is egregious in some way, is against one of our star players, or could reasonably have a positively impact on the team (early in a game, in a playoff series, setting the tone for the next matchup against an important opponent, etc).

Saying that we cant decide at the time it happened that fighting Entwhistle with 3.5 minutes left in a 4-2 game against Chicago after a cleanish hit on Garland where Garland wasnt hurt was good or bad and we only know its bad in hindsight with the injury is something I disagree with. It was stupid because of a potential injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad