Player Discussion Dakota Joshua | Shut up and give him his money!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Finishing the year strong......kind of reminds me of a 'Pat Maroon' kind of player.......he's becoming a force along the wall, and he and Aman are developing some serious chemistry.

He's been a different player under Tocchet. But then a lot of guys are playing their best hockey of the season right now.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Why don't they give players like this a chance with Pettersson? If this team wants to improve, they need to do it from within.

Reactions: Indiana

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Joshua was originally drafted back in 2014. He didn’t become a full time NHL’er until his D+9 season.

He’s a UFA after next season. If he can play all next season as he has in the last month, does anyone think he could be a somewhat sought after addition for a team looking to make a playoff run?

He has some attributes that make players attractive in the playoffs, and he’s only being paid 850k.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Joshua was originally drafted back in 2014. He didn’t become a full time NHL’er until his D+9 season.

He’s a UFA after next season. If he can play all next season as he has in the last month, does anyone think he could be a somewhat sought after addition for a team looking to make a playoff run?

He has some attributes that make players attractive in the playoffs, and he’s only being paid 850k.
Are you wondering if he will be worth a 3rd round pick in 11 months? Probably. Exciting

• Haha
Reactions: andora

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

We will need him for our playoff run.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Joshua and Amen have formed a formidable shut down duo since Amen came back from Abby. Their work on the PK continues to get better.

Tocchet has really been stressing getting to the inside and net drives with Joshua which is creating break downs in coverage and allowing for some success picking up garbage around the net. Dakota has pretty good hands for such a late bloomer to NHL success it's really a matter of keeping his feet moving and making players go through his big body and reach which is not easy.

Amen has become a really nice success story for a player i thought had little business being in the NHL at seasons start. His skating and attention to defensive detail as well as enough smarts and skill to be really reliable in his minutes is starting to relay to more confidence and skilled patient plays. Has some intriguing upside now for me although happy to just have a quality 4C on the cheap

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Joshua and Amen have formed a formidable shut down duo since Amen came back from Abby. Their work on the PK continues to get better.

Tocchet has really been stressing getting to the inside and net drives with Joshua which is creating break downs in coverage and allowing for some success picking up garbage around the net. Dakota has pretty good hands for such a late bloomer to NHL success it's really a matter of keeping his feet moving and making players go through his big body and reach which is not easy.

Amen has become a really nice success story for a player i thought had little business being in the NHL at seasons start. His skating and attention to defensive detail as well as enough smarts and skill to be really reliable in his minutes is starting to relay to more confidence and skilled patient plays. Has some intriguing upside now for me although happy to just have a quality 4C on the cheap
Agree with all of this. It’s early, but Allvin seems to excel on the pro scouting side. Of course, Hronek is the big test for him.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Agree with all of this. It’s early, but Allvin seems to excel on the pro scouting side. Of course, Hronek is the big test for him.

It really does seem Allvin has a knack for finding talent.

I was his biggest critic, but he has found some absolute gems.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It really does seem Allvin has a knack for finding talent.

I was his biggest critic, but he has found some absolute gems.
What a difference in the pro scouting department under Allvin.

I think the big problem with the previous regime, was that Benning at his core was an amateur scout. It was his passion. And once he became a GM, he seemed obsessed with some of the players he scouted in junior. And that was one of the reasons he gave up valuable draft picks for the likes of Vey, Pedan, Baertschi, Pouliot, etc. etc.

He could never seem to grasp that all that promise in junior, hadn't translated to pro hockey, and he traded for the players he remembered, rather than the players they were as pros.

Allvin is almost the opposite. The young guys he's acquired through trades and free agency have almost all worked out. Aman and Joshua are only the most recent examples.

It's the reason you have to be encouraged by the potential in likes of Studnicka, Johansson, Kravstov, Raty and even Bloom.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana and calnuck

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Bumping this thread. After a rough start to the season Joshua and that line with Blueger and Garland seem to be grooving right now.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Indiana and bh53

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Improved a lot compared to season start.
Still makes some stupid ass plays time to time but the frequency has been greatly reduced.
He embraces his role on the team very well and I can honestly say he's growing on me.
Kudos to him.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
The first quarter of the season it seemed like he was trying to fill a pocket-enforcer role and that was causing some bad penalties. He seems to have since embraced a simpler forechecking/boardwork game that highlights his strengths a lot better.

His UFA value will be very interesting to me. He could be re-signed for $2m or less now. Which may even be too expensive for the Canucks. I imagine Vancouver would like to see Podkolzin succeed in Joshua’s role in the future.

Joshua also strikes me as the type of player who could transform his earning potential with a good playoff run. He’s the type of player that Tampa would target ahead of a playoff run in years past.

Reactions: bh53 and calnuck

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Ever since coming to camp out of shape, and coach Tochett called him out. It seems as if Joshua got the message and has made quite the improvement. Each game Dakota seems to get better and better. Adding grit and energy to the third line. He has looked great with Blueger and Garland. Finishing his checks and grinding opponents down. Been loving his game and hoping he continues to get better and better.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hoping he continues on this path. Some players just seem to need a kick in the butt every now and again as they forget what makes them effective. Joshua just may be one of those guys. Only time will tell but coming into camp out of shape in such a big year for him makes me wonder. Maybe he just needs to mature and has learned his lesson.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Great game tonight
Great game tonight
Great game tonight
Great game tonight
Great game tonight
Great game tonight
Great game tonight
Great game tonight
Great game tonight
Great game tonight
Great game tonight
Great game tonight

Great game tonight

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Joshua's improvement is a big reason why we have such a great 3rd line, and the improved depth is one reason why we are doing so well this year. Our forward group isn't very big and not very physical, he brings a much needed dimension to this roster. On top of that he can kill penalties, and his line draws a lot of penalties as well, so even when they aren't scoring, they are contributing. I really hope we find a way to extend him.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This has really become an astute signing and a valuable player. Really underrated passer and his reach combined with strength makes opposition defenses work tremendously hard to win puck battles with him if they can.

He's become very good defensively and his forecheck and cycle game with Garland has been really effective at wearing down opponents even if not scoring. He's skating really well the last month and makes good decisions.

Gets some heat for not being more of a fighter but truth is he's not very good at it so he has to be measured so he doesn't get hurt. He's not really dirty either or targets star players with rough borderline play so it's mostly a non issue for me unless teams are taking liberties with our stars.

Should be interesting being a UFA to hear what he's looking for. Hoping they can find common ground that keeps him here for a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad