Player Discussion Dakota Joshua | Shut up and give him his money!

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
He just might be a one season wonder too.
Soon to be 28 yrs old with a career high 29 pts.
Sure lots of hits, but hits aren't goals or points and most players that hit a lot get injured more and have shorter careers. Defencemen might be an exception.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Would Joshua - EP - Garland be a workable 2nd line?
Yes. I honestly would much rather see this than sticking Miller between them. Miller does a better job of being a driving force than Pettersson. Petey could benefit from the duo's tenacity, while they will benefit from his all-around skill. Seems a natural fit to me while I would rather see Miller's wings addressed elsewhere.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Yes. I honestly would much rather see this than sticking Miller between them. Miller does a better job of being a driving force than Pettersson. Petey could benefit from the duo's tenacity, while they will benefit from his all-around skill. Seems a natural fit to me while I would rather see Miller's wings addressed elsewhere.

There is nothing wrong with Petterson's best friend, Hoglander, playing with him....in fact, he seems to have done just fine doing so!

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He just might be a one season wonder too.
Soon to be 28 yrs old with a career high 29 pts.
Sure lots of hits, but hits aren't goals or points and most players that hit a lot get injured more and have shorter careers. Defencemen might be an exception.

His contract isn't going to be one that really reflects his offensive total this season (well for most teams...some will take that gamble). However, his physical and defensive play will make him a sought after commodity. Any offense is a bonus...and honestly while this may be a career year point pace wise I don't think it's a stretch to think he'll be a 15G-15A type player. Last year in more limited time he was near those numbers. This year more than that.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Would consider 4 years at 3 M.

He should take that and run. Show the organization some thanks for creating an environment he can excel in. We will see

Reactions: HockeyWooot

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Brandon Tanev had 29 points in more games played and had 278 hits and was a defensive stalwart for the Pens and then Rutherford signed him to a $3.5M x 6 year contract.

Joshua has 30 points and 16 goals in 59gp as of now has 220 hits and has the better offensive upside while also averaging 2 mins on the PK + the other things he brings.

I think $3.5M x 4 or 5 is perfect for him.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Brandon Tanev had 29 points in more games played and had 278 hits and was a defensive stalwart for the Pens and then Rutherford signed him to a $3.5M x 6 year contract.

Joshua has 30 points and 16 goals in 59gp as of now has 220 hits and has the better offensive upside while also averaging 2 mins on the PK + the other things he brings.

I think $3.5M x 4 or 5 is perfect for him.

I’m not sure I’d want to go more than 3 or 4 on him, as physical non-stars are always a crap shoot after 30.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
If you can project the duo of Garland/Joshua as second liners going forward, then a cap hit of $3.5m-$4m aren't unreasonable. In a league that has Greenway, Foligno and Anderson paid what they are getting, I can see some teams throwing $4m+ offers to him in UFA.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I’m not sure I’d want to go more than 3 or 4 on him, as physical non-stars are always a crap shoot after 30.
To be fair, Joshua doesn't have a whole lot of mileage on him. He has played less than 300 pro games combined and he didn't played in the CHL where he would have played a lot of games and fought lots.

I hope Joshua considers the fact that this management team and franchise believed in him when others didn't.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I think he resigns noting the organization that gave him a chance and his coach who saw the potential in him.

Won’t be a discount but fair value.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
When you are 6'3, among hit leaders, can fight heavies, good defensively you are already a valuable player,

But then if you can produce offensively too, then you are a powerforward which are rare and extremely valuable.

Obviously he's not Jamie Benn, but he's getting close to someone like Andrew Ladd.

Him and Garland together are playing like good top 6 forwards,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad