Player Discussion Dakota Joshua | Shut up and give him his money!

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I'll be very disappointed if Mikheyev is in the lineup next year if Joshua isn't.

I freely admit that Joshua has become far more of a player than I thought he would be. I once thought he lacked the skill to be more than a 4th line energy winger. His goals today showed me I was wrong.

All hail Dakota Joshua!

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
This guy has proven he is a key part of our depth. We definitely are visibly worse without him. Like Brock, I think once the playoffs hit, he will perform.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
This guy has proven he is a key part of our depth. We definitely are visibly worse without him. Like Brock, I think once the playoffs hit, he will perform.
Yeah, but unlike Boeser (who i like and would be sad to see go) Joshua performs every game. even if he isn't getting points, he's a very heavy hitter and one of our best penalty killers. It's a shame we didn't get an extension done months ago.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
giphy.gif

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
You can pay him if you're gonna play him and Garland as the 2nd line wings.

Dump Mikheyev and give him that money.

Can't pay him what he'll garner to be a luxury 3rd liner.

Now the question is, will be he this kind of player going forward?

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
You can pay him if you're gonna play him and Garland as the 2nd line wings.

Dump Mikheyev and give him that money.

Can't pay him what he'll garner to be a luxury 3rd liner.

Now the question is, will be he this kind of player going forward?

If some of our stars had Joshua's heart the team would be an unstoppable force. This team doesn't have a pulse without Joshua in the lineup. Must resign.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
He's a top-6 forward and if the choice is giving him $4 million or losing him you give him $4 million. Outside of the core 5 guys he might be the most irreplaceable player on the roster right now.

Agreed. There's a massive difference in chemistry if he's out of the lineup. And his profile makes him a very unique quality. He's essentially the player we hoped Kassian could be.

Reactions: timw33 and MS

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
He's a top-6 forward and if the choice is giving him $4 million or losing him you give him $4 million. Outside of the core 5 guys he might be the most irreplaceable player on the roster right now.
Agreed. “Quality even strength player that can PK and may have more to give in top 6 minutes”, is what management thought they were buying when they paid Mikheyev 4.75 x 4.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This is one you may get a slight hometown discount. I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if they can get him for 3-4 years at $3.5M AAV.

dez

Mar 3, 2012
Only thing that would worry me about giving him term is that fact he doesn’t show up to training camp in shape and uses the season to do that. The older he gets the harder it will be to do this.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Agreed. “Quality even strength player that can PK and may have more to give in top 6 minutes”, is what management thought they were buying when they paid Mikheyev 4.75 x 4.
Had he not blown out his knee, things would have likely worked out quite differently; and they probably still will when he's fully healed (though quite possibly not in Vancouver).

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
He's basically Alex Burrows, a castoff who earned his spot as a role player and has continued to improve his offensive game and played his way into a bigger role. Best part is even with the offense he's still bringing a physical presence and strong defensive play. If anyone else in the league is paying attention, he's gonna get a big contract and we have to hope that he's happy enough with his role and coaching staff that he'll want to stay. He's earned it though, and I have a feeling he's going to be tempted to max his earnings. I can't blame him, he's basically been a minimum-wage earner his whole career and this is his chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
DJ's contract is going to be a tough one. He has shown brilliance this year. If he was 23 years old on a projected 20 goal/40 pt pace over 82 games, with his size and physical profile, he would be getting a 6 year contract at $6M+.
As it is, he is not 23, he turns 28 in May. Prior to joining the Canucks he had 4g/5a in 42 NHL games and 14g/16a in 71 AHL games over 3 years.

Clearly one can't deny his major impact at the NHL level this year but, at 28 with the first half of his 20s being less than 0.5 pt/g in the minors, is anyone going to pay him as a top 6 forward in the NHL? I doubt it.

My expectation is that whoever signs him will either sign him to a longer term deal where he gets security into his 30s (5x$2.5M-$3M) or a short term deal at a higher pay (2x$4M) with the aim to try again after he turns 30.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I can't see him taking a short term deal. His agent must know this is an unexpected turn in production and could be his only career shot to get the bag. If he takes a 2 year deal and gets injured or regresses, that's leaving millions on the table.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I'll be very disappointed if Mikheyev is in the lineup next year if Joshua isn't.

I freely admit that Joshua has become far more of a player than I thought he would be. I once thought he lacked the skill to be more than a 4th line energy winger. His goals today showed me I was wrong.

All hail Dakota Joshua!
You weren’t alone. I think some people had preconceived takes on him and just assumed he was a goon. Just like there’s a bias from some fans players who love players that are big/physical, I think there’s also a bias against those types from other fans who just assume that those players lack talent.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I can't see him taking a short term deal. His agent must know this is an unexpected turn in production and could be his only career shot to get the bag. If he takes a 2 year deal and gets injured or regresses, that's leaving millions on the table.
I tend to agree. The pressure to do the short term deal is tempting though. IF he spends two years with either EP or Miller as a centre and scores 20-25 goals per, with the cap expected to skyrocket in the next two to three years, he would be in for a monster payday.

But it's the IF that will likely cause him to sign a longer term deal now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad