Player Discussion Dakota Joshua | Shut up and give him his money!

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Joshua is the one guy that we have a built in replacement for. Podkolzin can slot in almost perfectly on paper into that spot in the lineup.

I think Joshua has played really well and earned himself an inflated contract elsewhere, but I also don't think he's an irreplaceable piece. He's in an absolutely perfect situation right now where he has two linemates that play with a lot of quickness and anticipation. Joshua just has to read of them and take his man, then his linemates help out from there. Joshua has gotten really good at it but I think we can find others who can do it as well.
I don't know about that. Podz may play somewhat similarly but the size Joshua brings makes him highly effective in that hard forechecking bottom 6 role. He's also very good on the PK.

Podz at this point has not really shown he can be an NHL player. Let alone an effective one. And I'll be honest I'm not at all hopeful that he is going to be an everyday NHLer.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
I don't know about that. Podz may play somewhat similarly but the size Joshua brings makes him highly effective in that hard forechecking bottom 6 role. He's also very good on the PK.

Podz at this point has not really shown he can be an NHL player. Let alone an effective one. And I'll be honest I'm not at all hopeful that he is going to be an everyday NHLer.

Podkolzin at least deserves a look and Joshua's spot is the perfect place to try him at. That's a good enough option for this offseason, we can focus elsewhere.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Podkolzin at least deserves a look and Joshua's spot is the perfect place to try him at. That's a good enough option for this offseason, we can focus elsewhere.
Sure give him a look but I don’t think he’s shown himself to be a guy you pencil in to take that spot. He’s had an awful time adjusting to the decision making speed of the nhl. This look should come this year to see where he is but the canucks forwards have been amazingly healthy this year.

Reactions: Nucker101

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Sure give him a look but I don’t think he’s shown himself to be a guy you pencil in to take that spot. He’s had an awful time adjusting to the decision making speed of the nhl. This look should come this year to see where he is but the canucks forwards have been amazingly healthy this year.

I think pencilling in Podkolzin for that spot next year with the risk that he falters is a more responsible decision than re-signing Joshua (assuming he get's something better than 2 years at 2.5M).

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think pencilling in Podkolzin for that spot next year with the risk that he falters is a more responsible decision than re-signing Joshua (assuming he get's something better than 2 years at 2.5M).
I'm not arguing signing or not. I'm just saying I don't believe you can pencil in Podz for that role. Joshua has been extremely effective and it is a role that has been very key to the success of the club so far this year. Without that line doing what it has done they are not at the top of the league.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
If someone is dumb enough (and it always seems like there is someone dumb enough) to throw $4m x 4 years at Joshua, then they can enjoy a heavily overpaid player...I just hope its someone in our conference. Even at $3m I'm not sure I'd sign him.
I’m in the same boat. I would do 2.75 x 3 at the very highest end. Take it or leave it. I’d prefer it cheaper but these guys are getting squeezed. Tyler Motte is a good example. Find the next Joshua. He’s out there just like the next Lafferty. Blueger is more important than either of them.

Reactions: MarkMM and Canucker

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I’m in the same boat. I would do 2.75 x 3 at the very highest end. Take it or leave it. I’d prefer it cheaper but these guys are getting squeezed. Tyler Motte is a good example. Find the next Joshua. He’s out there just like the next Lafferty. Blueger is more important than either of them.
Different type of player but I expect he'll get something similar to Rodrigues which is the $3 mil per range. If he were to continue to be effective in the role that is fair money. Still doesn't mean you sign that deal but it's fair money.

Reactions: MarkMM and Canucker

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Different type of player but I expect he'll get something similar to Rodrigues which is the $3 mil per range. If he were to continue to be effective in the role that is fair money. Still doesn't mean you sign that deal but it's fair money.
I’m just seeing a massive black hole down the middle. They need to draft a couple centres this year without question. Blueger is an effective player and while Suter is decent I’d rather have both. Aman is a paper tiger.

• Haha
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I’m just seeing a massive black hole down the middle. They need to draft a couple centres this year without question. Blueger is an effective player and while Suter is decent I’d rather have both. Aman is a paper tiger.
Aman just needs to add a bit more size and strength.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well, if the team ends up moving the first rounder, then you are down to the 3rd round as the earliest draft pick for that. So, not a high chance that kid in 4 years makes it.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Joshua/Garland/Blueger is a perfect example of how important team and line chemistry is. All three of those guys were struggling before they were combined. Joshua was called out by the coach, Garland was requesting a trade, and wanted out of vancouver, and Teddy was a free agent pick up that didn't seem to have too much value to his previous team.

On their own, each player was having lots of problems living up to potential, but together they have elevated each others game to a level where they are often out performing lines that are paid 10X what they get. It's inspiring, and it's so nice to see. It's yet another example of the difference between great management/coaching and the poor example of it that we suffered under the Benning tenure.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Even though he's going to be a UFA, the Canucks should make it a priority to re-sign this player..Garland/ Joshua feed/benefit off each other...Individually, I'm not sure that they would have the same success..Joshua , and his big body, creates the time and space for Garland.

Not having Joshua in the lineup would leave a significant hole, that would not be easy to fill.

Reactions: Indiana

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
If I'm Dakota Joshua, I'm looking to hit Entwhistle again and again in the face even though we're up by two in the third with less than four minutes left in the game. Then have a nice chat after while the linesmen are holding us back. Maybe we'll have a coffee after while watching the rest of the game.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Joshua has basically only played 2 full seasons and is easily the most likely FA to just jump at the biggest bag of cash thrown at him. Of all of our upcoming UFAs he seems like the least likely we can convince to stay on a hometown discount and I'm sure he's gonna go to some bad team to be Celebrini's bodyguard or whatever.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
If I'm Joshua, who basically lost a year and a half of development to COVID, I'm looking to hit the home run of home runs this summer. I don't see how he accepts anything less than Jason Dickinson money.
If he takes Dickinson money we sign Joshua ASAP. He's not catching lightning in a bottle, he's just playing very well night in and out and being rewarded for it. He's scoring at a 20/20 pace without PP time even though getting points is not really his strongest trait, providing the kind of physical presence and board play that's not easy to find in the league. 2.5 with term to secure all that would be so good.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
If he takes Dickinson money we sign Joshua ASAP. He's not catching lightning in a bottle, he's just playing very well night in and out and being rewarded for it. He's scoring at a 20/20 pace without PP time even though getting points is not really his strongest trait, providing the kind of physical presence and board play that's not easy to find in the league. 2.5 with term to secure all that would be so good.

I'm talking about about Dickinson's new cap hit - $4.25M. And that's a floor.

Joshua is a nice player but he's shooting at a 20% clip.

• Wow
Reactions: sandwichbird2023

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Well 18.8% clip. Last year he was 15.5%. Even so knock him down to what may be a low 11% clip he is still a 30+ point bottom 6 player that can play the PK. It's top 200 Even strength production. He's 5th on the canucks this year and was 8th last year for EVP.

I don't think Dickinson is the floor. There are other comparables that aren't that high. An outlier doesn't have to set a market and everyone in the league knows that is a serious outlier. But yes it will be a sizeable deal he signs. He will likely have to make the choice between $$$$ and team competitiveness.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think the Dickinson comparable fails to take into account just how truly bad Chicago is. Yes they have Bedard to build around, but it’s going to take time. They basically have to show veterans some hefty cash to get them to agree to get caved in every night. Much as the Canucks did (didn’t help that our manager was an idiot) when we were handing out instant overpayment deals like candy.

That said, I’m sure a few contending teams will be able to offer Joshua some very nice figures. I hope we’re able to retain him before it gets to that.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

Oh hell yeah!!

Oh hell no!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad