Dahlin vs Heiskanen

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
View attachment 274105

It does seem like Heiskanen has been better at everything besides raw shot attempts for.

The sample is still too small to draw a serious conclusion from, but Heiskanen has had a much better start to the year so far.

You are right on both counts, Heiskanen is having the better season and the sample is small.

As much as I love Heiskanen I still would rather have Dahlin long term.

But it is really close, closer than McDavid/Eichel.

Artemis Clyde Frog

Feb 1, 2019
You are right on both counts, Heiskanen is having the better season and the sample is small.

As much as I love Heiskanen I still would rather have Dahlin long term.

But it is really close, closer than McDavid/Eichel.

I think most would choose Dahlin long term. He has a higher potential but the question is if he can fully reach it in Buffalo. I've been quite sceptical towards how they've used and molded him since mid of last season and things seem to get worse and worse. Dallas has done a much better job with Heiskanen imo and you can just see his confidence is through the roof atm.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Heiskanen this year is playing like a true number 1 defenceman.

With Klingberg out for the next few weeks, I imagine we'll see even more minutes and responsibilities heaped on Heiskanen as the top guy in Dallas. Seems like he's up for it, though. Just a treat to watch, he's outstanding.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

Dahlin is a first pairing PP'er. How about Heiskanen? Silly thing to write.

Heiskanen plays on the PP1 this season. It's just that the four other guys haven't really felt like scoring on the PP. (Especially the guys who should be; Benn, Seguin, Radulov, Pavelski). Hence the bad numbers on the man advantage.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
This conversation stopped on October 16. Since that time Dallas has been winning and Heiskanen looks good, Buffalo has been losing and Dahlin looks less good.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
It's no secret Dahlin has a had a really rough start to this season despite his point totals, and especially a rough start in his own end. His offensive upside remains higher than Heiskanen's but I just have a hard time seeing many players be better in their own in end than Miro going forward, not just Dahlin.

10 of the 16 Stars goals that is*. It's been a treat to watch Heiskanen go straight up against Crosby, Ovechkin, and MacKinnon over these past 2 weeks. Will be really interesting to see him face McDavid/Draisaitl every shift in the Edmonton game next week though. He and Lindell really have their hands full defensively. Miro is 12th in the NHL right now in ice time per game with 24:55.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It's no secret Dahlin has a had a really rough start to this season despite his point totals, and especially a rough start in his own end. His offensive upside remains higher than Heiskanen's but I just have a hard time seeing many players be better in their own in end than Miro going forward, not just Dahlin.

10 of the 16 Stars goals that is*. It's been a treat to watch Heiskanen go straight up against Crosby, Ovechkin, and MacKinnon over these past 2 weeks. Will be really interesting to see him face McDavid/Draisaitl every shift in the Edmonton game next week though. He and Lindell really have their hands full defensively. Miro is 12th in the NHL right now in ice time per game with 24:55.

Yeah, pretty crazy stuff. Dahlin has had a rough start, but has gradually been getting better. Going to be interesting where Dahlin is at next year at this time.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Dahlin was great in the first 5 or so games, complete shit in the middle, and looked much better in the last couple. Hope the rough patch is over moving forward.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
Rasmus Dahlin paces Sabres defensemen in scoring this season and shares the overall team lead with 10 assists (1-10—11 in 15 GP). The 19-year-old has the ninth-most career regular-season points in NHL history among teenage defensemen (10-45—55 in 97 GP).

Dahlin19_Media-07104315.png

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Rasmus Dahlin paces Sabres defensemen in scoring this season and shares the overall team lead with 10 assists (1-10—11 in 15 GP). The 19-year-old has the ninth-most career regular-season points in NHL history among teenage defensemen (10-45—55 in 97 GP).

Dahlin19_Media-07104315.png

So if he has another 40 points season, he could realistically become #2 ?

What's with the coincidences... Buffalo get Housley and Dahlin, Penguins get Lemieux/Jagr then Crosby/Malkin :laugh:

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
I was surprised how bad Dahlins overall game is currently.

He was a liability out there and a lot of saber fans saying he should be benched.

Miro was miles ahead last season and seems just to continue.

I think currently it's Miro>>>>>Rasmus

Reactions: badboy1994

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I see them as this:

Heiskanen - Scott Niedermayer/Nick Lidström (lite) very good all-around

Dahlin - Bobby Orr/Paul Coffey (lite) elite offensively but having some issues in own zone

Artemis Clyde Frog

Feb 1, 2019
I was surprised how bad Dahlins overall game is currently.

He was a liability out there and a lot of sabre fans saying he should be benched.

Miro was miles ahead last season and seems just to continue.

I think currently it's Miro>>>>>Rasmus

At the same time he was involved in 2 of Buffalo's 3 goals yesterday. Also made many good plays in his zone, but people tend to focus on the plays where he struggled even tho his upsides mostly beats the downsides just like yesterday.

Were lots of Sabres fans complaining last season as well probably cuz he was selected 1st and they expected McDavid Jr and somehow forgot he was 18 then (and 19 now), while Miro could have more giveaways and also struggle without their fanbase raining down on him.

Saying Miro was miles ahead last season when Dahlin lead him in basically all stats feels quite exagerated.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
As of today:

Heiskanen 17gp 4g 5a 9p and +7 (best on Stars). All points 5vs5

Dahlin 17gp 1g 11a 12p and -3 ( 2nd worst on Sabres). 5p 5vs5, 7p on the PP

Heiskanen actually looks a lot better on the ice than Dahlin. Dahlin is good on the PP, but in the defensive zone he has a lot of catching up to do. Dallas PP has been the worst I`ve seen in years. If they start clicking I bet Miro will get a lot of points.

Heiskanen plays an avg of 2.31 on the PP and 3.24 on PK. His icetime has been 24.55/G, so he is being relied upon.

Dahlin plays an avg of 3.51 on the PP and 0.02 on PK. Icetime 19.19/G, so the difference is Dahlin plays no PK at all and thus isnt being very good defensively. PP he plays 1.20 more than Miro. Miro plays 2PP, while Dahlin 1PP.

Last edited:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Please. Heiskanen is so overrated

Heiskanen is being used in all situations and icing almost 25min/g. Dahlin on the other hand is being sheltered and used on PP. A defenseman logging 0 PK-time is actually not really good at defending. Heiskanen is actually having really good stats and if he keeps this play going, he could be Top5 in Norris-voting this year. Go check his advanced stats and you`ll maybe get an idea...

steierwrass

Nov 25, 2017
I see them as this:

Dahlin - Bobby Orr/Paul Coffey (lite) elite offensively but having some issues in own zone

Orr having issues in own zone? I take that player, please.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I see them as this:

I like your thinking here and in the other message otherwise but Coffey is nowhere close to Orr in terms of defense. Orr was very good defensively and overall is completely untouchable by any current or past Dman. Replace Orr by some Dman who is truly offense first & subpar in defense, then your comparison becomes accurate.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Heiskanen is being used in all situations and icing almost 25min/g. Dahlin on the other hand is being sheltered and used on PP. A defenseman logging 0 PK-time is actually not really good at defending. Heiskanen is actually having really good stats and if he keeps this play going, he could be Top5 in Norris-voting this year. Go check his advanced stats and you`ll maybe get an idea...
would you stop with the Norris talk...the Norris mentions go to the top scorers for defenseman you have to be able to top your peers in points in order to get a real mention for it and he's not even outscoring the other young Ds out there and unfortunately they do recognize PP points since you know they actually count on the scoreboard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad