Dahlin vs Heiskanen

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Same old story, more people watch eastern conference teams rather than western conference, thus Dahlin gets much more exposure. I bet no neutral fan just accidentally tunes in to a Dallas match, but lots do tune into Buffalo games.
Oh the irony here...

Do you think that East Coasters go to bed at like 9pm or something? Plenty of folks stay up to watch Western games. On the flip side, many West Coasters are still at work/making dinner/dealing with kids/etc. when East Coast games start. You never hear people from the East complain about how people in the West don't watch their games. Both arguments are a load of crap - watching games isn't based on location like you're suggesting.

As a neutral fan who's lived in three time zones in NA, I'd be more likely to "accidentally" (or more likely on purpose) tune into a Dallas game than Buffalo, but that's just me.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
:laugh:

After seeing this a few times now in this thread, and elsewhere on HF, I am now convinced that some posters just say it purely tongue in cheek, to drum up more debate because they know how close the two players really are.
Or because it’s so blatantly obvious?
Seriously, close this thread.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
:laugh:

After seeing this a few times now in this thread, and elsewhere on HF, I am now convinced that some posters just say it purely tongue in cheek, to drum up more debate because they know how close the two players really are.
Or maybe people just think Dahlin is the superior talent and there is a gap between these two.

Reactions: Mitts888

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
:D
Dahlin plays like a fourth forward. He lines up at defense, but he isn't by any means a defensive defenseman. To make him excel you need pair him with a stay-at-home defenseman. Sure he has some physicality, but most of the "good defensive plays" he makes are really puckhandling in a phone booth kinds of plays that allow him to clear the zone. Last year, Dahlin was very prone to make the rookie mistake, like the time he tried to glove a puck down but it was higher than he thought. It went over his head and an opposing player skated right around him to score. When he gaffs, he gaffs big.

That said, he's going to be a big star. I think Heiskanen will be too, but with more defense and less offense.

(Disclaimer: Sabres fan born and raised in Buffalo, living in the Dallas market now.)

He had some rough plays in his own end last year. But his confidence stayed pretty solid. Plays aggressive, has good gap control and great length to be dangerous on the poke check.

I can't think of many 18 year olds who played as well as he did, and he did it with a relatively immature body compared to other immediately impactful teenagers. A lot of improvement to come. I think his offense is so bright it makes the bad gaffes all the more ugly.:D

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Or because it’s so blatantly obvious?
Seriously, close this thread.

The only "blatantly obvious" thing I see is that Buffalo and Dallas have two of the best young d-men in the game.

Or maybe people just think Dahlin is the superior talent and there is a gap between these two.

A gap that's "not even close", though? :help: :biglaugh:

I mean there's nothing wrong with Buffalo fans pimping their own guy, but it's not like Dallas is stuck with dog**** on the back end. Miro's pretty good too.

I just laugh when I see repetitive "Dahlin and it's not even close!!!" posts from HF's Buffalo backers.

Because it really is. :laugh:

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
The only "blatantly obvious" thing I see is that Buffalo and Dallas have two of the best young d-men in the game.

A gap that's "not even close", though? :help: :biglaugh:

I mean there's nothing wrong with Buffalo fans pimping their own guy, but it's not like Dallas is stuck with dog**** on the back end. Miro's pretty good too.

I just laugh when I see repetitive "Dahlin and it's not even close!!!" posts from HF's Buffalo backers.

Because it really is. :laugh:
There is a gap that isn’t even close between eichel and mcdavid. It doesn’t mean eichel is dog shit. Don’t know why you are interring that

Reactions: Jeremy2020

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
There is a gap that isn’t even close between eichel and mcdavid. It doesn’t mean eichel is dog ****. Don’t know why you are interring that

The only thing I'm "interring" is this idea that Dahlin is in another stratosphere compared to Miro Heiskanen. ;)

They're closer than you think.

That's all.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Dahlin is the only young D that I would even put over Makar. Heiskanen is definitely on the next tier down which is still good.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
The only thing I'm "interring" is this idea that Dahlin is in another stratosphere compared to Miro Heiskanen. ;)

They're closer than you think.

That's all.

No you are inferring a ton of things. Just because people are saying they are on different tiers doesn’t mean anyone is dog shit or on another stratosphere.

Erebor

Jan 8, 2019
Watched some Stars and Sabres games this year and THIS season Heiskanen is on another level than Dahlin. Maybe Dahlin has the higher ceiling, but Heiskanen right now is playing dominant hockey in all three zones and in all situations, while Dahlin ist great on the PP, not doing much 5 on 5 and is a liability in his own zone while not playing PK or if the Sabres have to protect a lead.
Additionally to the eye test, here some comparisons from Natural Stat Tric (first number is Heiskanen, second Dahlin):

Average Ice time: 24:55 - 19:13
CF%: 49,63% - 47,34%
GF%: 59,09% - 47,06%
xGF%: 53,41% - 41,99%
HDCF%: 54,32% - 40,85%
Off.Zone Starts: 42,57% - 60,34%

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Watched some Stars and Sabres games this year and THIS season Heiskanen is on another level than Dahlin. Maybe Dahlin has the higher ceiling, but Heiskanen right now is playing dominant hockey in all three zones and in all situations, while Dahlin ist great on the PP, not doing much 5 on 5 and is a liability in his own zone while not playing PK or if the Sabres have to protect a lead.
Additionally to the eye test, here some comparisons from Natural Stat Tric (first number is Heiskanen, second Dahlin):

upload_2019-11-7_0-11-50.png

It does seem like Heiskanen has been better at everything besides raw shot attempts for.

The sample is still too small to draw a serious conclusion from, but Heiskanen has had a much better start to the year so far.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019

DAL 1920 Heiskanen Quality of Teammates and Competition

Heiskanen seems to play with anyone on his team at an equal rate while matching up primarily against opposing top lines.

BUF 1920 Dahlin Quality of Teammates and Competition

Dahlin plays with his own 1st and 2nd lines, while facing the opposing 3rd and 4th lines primarily.

And with the stats above combined, it’s not close right now. Dahlin is doing meh in his (honestly 3rd pairing) usage while Heiskanen is doing very well against top competition.

Artemis Clyde Frog

Feb 1, 2019
DAL 1920 Heiskanen Quality of Teammates and Competition

Heiskanen seems to play with anyone on his team at an equal rate while matching up primarily against opposing top lines.

BUF 1920 Dahlin Quality of Teammates and Competition

Dahlin plays with his own 1st and 2nd lines, while facing the opposing 3rd and 4th lines primarily.

And with the stats above combined, it’s not close right now. Dahlin is doing meh in his (honestly 3rd pairing) usage while Heiskanen is doing very well against top competition.

Those stats don't look like what I've seen watching the games so far this season. Ristolainen and McCabe has been the go-to pair with the first line 5v5 most games and Dahlin has mostly been 3rd pairing, playing with 3rd or 4th line.

As things look now Dahlin is used and trusted less than last season and everything speaks for a better season for Heiskanen. Some nights he plays 10 minutes more and has full confidence from his staff unlike Dahlin has had, other than in PP. It shows in both of them atm.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Worth noting is that Heiskanen plays for the far weaker team.

Heiskanen also is a first pairing PKer. How about Dahlin?

Artemis Clyde Frog

Feb 1, 2019
Worth noting is that Heiskanen plays for the far weaker team.

Heiskanen also is a first pairing PKer. How about Dahlin?

Dallas made the playoffs last season and was expected to this season as well, while few believed Buffalo would. Buffalo had a great start but has been bad lately. Dallas had a bad start but has been great lately. How does Heiskanen play on "the far weaker team"?

Dahlin is a first pairing PP'er. How about Heiskanen? Silly thing to write.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Dallas made the playoffs last season and was expected to this season as well, while few believed Buffalo would. Buffalo had a great start but has been bad lately. Dallas had a bad start but has been great lately. How does Heiskanen play on "the far weaker team"?
Sabres are 9-4-2 and Dallas 8-8-1.

Reactions: Stubu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->