Dahlin vs Heiskanen

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
Taking the advice from the norris thread and starting an own designated thread for these two so we don't have to derail every thread with this conversation.

Who is better, who will be ? Time will tell but for most of us it will go from clarity to clarity.

There is some notion that heisk is a lot better than dahlin defensively by the star fans, I must admit I do not watch every star game, but I don't see it the way it make it out to be. Opinions?

Try keep a nice tone. And please explain why you think the way you do so it doesn't become a listing thread.

Reactions: Mildan

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Heiskanen is and will be great IMO but I still have Dahlin ranked higher.

Reactions: sjci

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I love Heiskanen, his skating is so smooth but Dahlin is easily on another level imo. The guy has Lidstrom level talent.

Dahlin is already a complete twoway defensemen and he is only 19. 44 points last season as an 18 year old while being that good defensively is insane.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Dahlin. Kid is generational dman in the making. Heiskanen is a fantastic talent as well but from my viewings he needs more work in his own end.

Reactions: Marcobruin

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Dahlin, such a good player already it's insane. The guy is going to be a superstar 1d for the next 10-15 years

I hate the fact that he's in Buffalo and the leafs play him so often lol

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Nice thought to have this debate moved into it's own thread, but can we also move it to another hockey forum???

The player X vs player Y debates usually can't be answered for years, and hockey isn't a one-on-one contest anyway.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I love Heiskanen, his skating is so smooth but Dahlin is easily on another level imo. The guy has Lidstrom level talent.

Dahlin is already a complete twoway defensemen and he is only 19. 44 points last season as an 18 year old while being that good defensively is insane.
To be fair, I wouldn't have classified him as "good" defensively last year. Then again, the entire team had huge defensive issues, so it's hard to judge. In a small sample size so far this year, he has looked much better defensively.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Same old story, more people watch eastern conference teams rather than western conference, thus Dahlin gets much more exposure. I bet no neutral fan just accidentally tunes in to a Dallas match, but lots do tune into Buffalo games.

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
I think Dahlin have the better potential but could end up either way.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Same old story, more people watch eastern conference teams rather than western conference, thus Dahlin gets much more exposure. I bet no neutral fan just accidentally tunes in to a Dallas match, but lots do tune into Buffalo games.
You’re sure that the only reason someone would choose Dahlin here is because they haven’t watched Heiskanen enough?

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
You’re sure that the only reason someone would choose Dahlin here is because they haven’t watched Heiskanen enough?

Not the only reason, but a major one. Plus people being hiveminded.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Not the only reason, but a major one. Plus people being hiveminded.
Well I watched Heiskanen significantly more than I watched Dahlin last season and am convinced that while Heiskanen May be a franchise D, Dahlin is generational. So what category would you place me in? Hiveminded or dumb?

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
i'd love it see a source,

dahlin by a lot

Not even close.

He is more physical

Dunno, maybe.

better skater

Not even close. Heiskanen is a better skater, he's one of the best skaters in the league.

better defender

Heiskanen is the better defender.

better offensively

Dahlin will probably score more points in his career. Heiskanen has a better shot and may score more goals. Might be remembering wrong but from what I recall last season Heiskanen had more even strength points and more primary assists (or about the same amount). Seemed Klingberg was on the ice with the few Stars players who could score, and of course on the #1PP.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Well I watched Heiskanen significantly more than I watched Dahlin last season and am convinced that while Heiskanen May be a franchise D, Dahlin is generational. So what category would you place me in? Hiveminded or dumb?

If you are talking the truth, then you have a well-informed opinion that I respect, while I disagree with it. However, this being internet, everyone is as trustworthy as a little kid caught with a hand in cookie jar.

SpinninRodIntoArmpit

Apr 8, 2015
Can't say I'm a die hard fan, but Sabres are definitely my favorite team in the NHL. I'd take Heiskanen right now. Doesn't mean Dahlin isn't awesome.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Not even close.

Dunno, maybe.

Not even close. Heiskanen is a better skater, he's one of the best skaters in the league.

Heiskanen is the better defender.

Dahlin will probably score more points in his career. Heiskanen has a better shot and may score more goals. Might be remembering wrong but from what I recall last season Heiskanen had more even strength points and more primary assists (or about the same amount). Seemed Klingberg was on the ice with the few Stars players who could score, and of course on the #1PP.
dahlin is 19 and has been a human highlight reel before he was drafted, you have no idea what you're talking about plan and simple

If Buffalos Gm offered dallas GM Dahlin for heiskanen do you think he says no ?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
If you are talking the truth, then you have a well-informed opinion that I respect, while I disagree with it. However, this being internet, everyone is as trustworthy as a little kid caught with a hand in cookie jar.
I have a personal vested interest in Heiskanen because I drafted him in my longtime (est 1991) fantasy dynasty league. If anything, I have a bias toward Heiskanen. In reality, regardless of the the fact they may have watched both players most, based on the traits of the overwhelming majority of posters on HF, the very last group of people who should be looked to for honest evaluation here are Swedes, Finns, Stars fans and Sabres fans.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I'm little disappointed that Dahlin is still not used on penalty kills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad