D habs98 GM Game v5.0-Sign Up+ Discussion Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
:isles

Our D is much more solid overall than the Rangers and our Offense is much better.

His goalie is slightly better but Kipper is no slouch

VOTE :isles

Water Knight

Apr 11, 2012
But then what's the point of waiving when it just punishes people who take bad teams and have to get rid of **** tons of capspace to contend?

I had to get rid of Kuba, Jovanovksi, Bergenheim and Upshall because of their expensive ****ing contracts, literally NO ONE would take Upshall or Bergenheim even if I offered them on a golden platter. If there's a fine it just forces teams with bad contracts to rebuild instead of contend, which like is totally not cool.

You have a point ,however games must have order and fines will be a necessary evil. Keep in mind nothing is set in stone yet and I have been toying with the ideal of increasing the number of waivers a bit to better help teams in similar situations that you described, however if a team blatantly breaks the rules (whatever they end up being) there will be repercussions.

Aela*

You have a point ,however games must have order and fines will be a necessary evil. Keep in mind nothing is set in stone yet and I have been toying with the ideal of increasing the number of waivers a bit to better help teams in similar situations that you described, however if a team blatantly breaks the rules (whatever they end up being) there will be repercussions.

I can understand that. Maybe you can make it two players per day? Teams shouldn't blatantly break the rules after all.

virothepyro

#lydia2012
Jan 11, 2009

if retained salary is lowered from 50% and the cap floor is enforced it will cause rebuilders to need to pickup capdumps which will help with the waiver limit.

as i know you had said about limiting it to 25-30%

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
NHL_2013_StanleyCupPlayoffs_English_Primary.jpg

1st Round Results

Eastern Conference

:pens 7-3 :panthers
:habs 7-3 :bruins
:jets 1-9 :flyers
:rangers 4-6:isles

Western Conference

:hawks 10-0 :coyotes
:nucks 8-2 :kings
:sharks 4-6 :edmonton
:wings 9-1 :cbj

Water Knight

Apr 11, 2012

Vote :nucks
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) /Alexandre Burrows ($2 m)
Mike Cammalleri (3 m ) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alex Tanguay (1,750,000)
Devin Setoguchi (1.5 m) /Saku Koivu ($3.8m) / Brooks Laich (2,250,000)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Adam Henrique 854,166 / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Anton Rodin (900,000)/Tom Sestito (605,000)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($5.000m)
Sami Salo (1,875,000 m) /Dennis Wideman (2,625,000)
Derek Joslin (700,000)

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Jean-Sebastien Giguere ($1,250,000 m )

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,003,833; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,196,167

West Coast Bias*

Chris Kunitz / Sidney Crosby / Martin Havlat
James Neal / Evgeni Malkin / Jarome Iginla
Patrick Marleau / Joe Pavelski / Drew Stafford
Raffi Torres / Jussi Jokinen / Pascal Dupuis

Brandon Sutter

Kris Letang / Brooks Orpik
Marc-Edouard Vlasic / Matt Niskanen
Douglas Murray / Henrik Tallinder

Deryk Engelland / Mark Eaton

Antti Niemi
Tomas Vokoun

Philadelphia did an admirable job improving their team and they have a top-5 forward group in the league, but my offense should overwhelm their defense. We've put together the best group of forwards in the league, and added a Vezina-finalist goaltender to avoid a repeat of the last Pens-Flyers playoff series.

In summary, vote :pens

Warrior16

Apr 30, 2010
:flyers

Scott Hartnell / Claude Giroux / Danny Briere
Ryan Malone / Ryan Getzlaf / Chris Stewart
Jason Chimera / Derek Roy / Wayne Simmonds
Michael Frolik / Maxime Talbot / Tyler Kennedy
Zac Rinaldo

Kimmo Timonen / Braydon Coburn
Andrej Meszaros / Sheldon Souray
Nicklas Grossmann / Ian White
Marc-Andre Bourdon

Jonas Hiller
Brian Boucher​

Second round match-up with the Penguins will be tough but should be a beauty. Being lead by Giroux, Getzlaf, and Briere who's always money in the playoffs we believe we have the team to upset the Pens. Wingers like Malone, Stewart, Chimera, Simmonds, and Hartnell are all guys that love to hit, can score, and will wear down opponents through a long, hard fought series. We also have a tough 4th line with speed that can play defence and create opportunities. A tough, vet defence 1 through 6, and a solid starting tender.

Vote :flyers

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

images

Ilya Kovalchuk ($3.333m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Damien Brunner ($1.350m)
Patrick Elias ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Sam Gagner ($1.600m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Aaron Asham ($1.000m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Kevin Shattenkirk ($1.300m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Jakub Kindl ($1.050m) / Brian Lashoff ($0.725m)

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

Our biggest weakness, defense, has been addressed with the additions of Shattenkirk and Martin on the backend. This allows Kronwall to play with a defenseman suited for the top line, and pushes Ericsson down to the second pairing, which he is suited for.

On offense I've added Kovalchuk, Elias, and Gagner. This gives us a legit winger to play with Datsyuk, something he hasn't had since his Hart nominee season with Hossa. Elias is still great, and would really mesh well with Z, who loves to shoot the puck. Gagner is a second line center on most teams. He gives us a great third line with Filppula, and Bertuzzi brings size for that line. I've added Asham to make possibly the most hated line in the league :laugh:.

Vote :wings

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
[FIELDSET="2012-2013 Edmonton Oilers"]

images

VOTE :edmonton

Taylor Hall (C)-Stephen Weiss-Jordan Eberle
Magnus Paajarvi-Olli Jokinen-Ales Hemsky
Taylor Pyatt-Shawn Horcoff-Ryan Jones
Aaron Volpatti-Nick Spaling-Mike Brown

Ryan Smyth, Lennart Petrell

Shea Weber (A)-Justin Schultz
Ladislav Smid (A)-John Carlson
Mark Fistric-Jeff Petry

Correy Potter

Devan Dubnyk
Al Montoya

Vote :edmonton

Scratches; Correy Potter, Ryan Smyth, Lennart Petrell

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: ~$68million BONUSES: $5,700,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): ~5million​
[/FIELDSET]​

So now that I have time to do a run down..

Basically I traded futures for some badly needed defensive depth and restocked the decimated centre position with some cheap reclamation projects.

FORWARD

Taylor Hall (C)-Stephen Weiss-Jordan Eberle; this is obviously the main scoring line. Taylor "the Kingston Cannonball" Hall is en route to a top 10 scoring finish. He will be the new Team Captain and is the heart and soul of this line and the team. Hall is a total warrior. Jordan Eberle is a 2012 All-Star and is clearly capable of scoring on the rush. Weiss is a talented two-way and playmaking centre and is an improvement on the face off dot over Nugent-Hopkins. Weiss is not far off from three straight 20 goal campaigns.

Magnus Paajarvi-Olli Jokinen-Ales Hemsky
; this is the secondary scoring line. Magnus has come a long way this season adding some grit and a willingness to go to the net. He'll add a power-forward dimension to this line and is a great asset to carry the puck up the ice with some speed. Jokinen and Hemsky could do some damage together. Hemsky has been looking for a big scoring centre for his entire career and Jokinen, another recent 20g scorer, will be flush with scoring opportunities with a deft playmaker like Ales on his wing. Again, Olli is an improvement on the dot.

Taylor Pyatt-Shawn Horcoff-Ryan Jones
; Clearly this is the shut-down line for the team. Pyatt and Jones are big bodied, solid forecheckers and Shawn Horcoff is a good faceoff man with a strong two-way game. All three have shown themselves capable of potting ~15 goals and will play hard every shift.

Aaron Volpatti-Nick Spaling-Mike Brown; Another checking line but this one has a bit more of an edge. Brown and Volpatti both excel playing an aggressively physical game and Spaling is a versatile checker capable of generating offense.

DEFENSE

Shea Weber (A)-Justin Schultz; Who better to play with already one of the best skating defenders in the league (Justin Schultz) than a proven leader and elite level defender in Shea Weber. This is a good-cop/bad-cop pairing. If Schultz can't beat you with his quickness, poise, and puck carrying, then Weber can clean up with his shut-down physical play and all-around ability. Shea Weber is also a warrior.

Ladislav Smid (A)-John Carlson; This is a mean and tough pairing with two mobile and physical defenders who have proven themselves capable of playing against top opposition. Carlson is also another weapon from the point for the Oilers offensive game. Smid = warrior.

Mark Fistric-Jeff Petry; This is another physical defender and puck moving defender pairing. Fistric's stay at home game will compliment Jeff Petry's up-tempo smooth-skating offensive game.

GOAL

Devan Dubnyk; He has proven himself to be an NHL starter and is headed toward a top 10 finish in save % among goalies with 30 games or more. Given the improvements on defense and the influx of size and grit into the forward group I think Dubie has a much better chance of winning those 1 goal games.

Vote :edmonton again...Hallsy and Ebs were made for the clutch

Aela*

Vancouver over LA in the playoffs...seems like we really are basing it on popularity, no offense to Vancouvers GM. H

The Produce Man

Master of Puppets
Feb 24, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
[FIELDSET=Your 2012-2013 Montreal Canadiens (The Erik Karlsson-less Edition)]

extralarge.png

FORWARDS

Max Pacioretty - Steven Stamkos - Martin St. Louis
Jason Pominville - Tomas Plekanec - Brian Gionta
Michael Ryder - Ryan O'Reilly - Patric Hornqvist
Brandon Prust - Paul Gaustad - Jamie McGinn

Spares: Ryan White, Colby Armstrong, Matt Halischuk, Ruslan Fedotenko

DEFENSEMEN

P.K. Subban - Andrei Markov
Johnny Boychuk - Josh Gorges
Alexei Emelin - Raphael Diaz

Spares: Bryce Salvador, Francis Bouillon, Davis Drewiske

GOALTENDERS

Carey Price
Peter Budaj

[/fieldset]

Job well done to the Boston Bruins. Top 6 made some excellent trades and improved this team greatly which is made even more impressive by the short time frame that he had to work with.

Our next opponent in the conference finals is another tough, tough team. The New York Islanders underwent probably the biggest roster overhaul of any team. They have depth at forward and D, and Miikka Kiprusoff is an upgrade over Nabokov, IMO. Hlav did a great job with this team.

We hope that our potent offense, and our hard hitters will make the difference in this series.

VOTE :habs

The Produce Man

Master of Puppets
Feb 24, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Vancouver over LA in the playoffs...seems like we really are basing it on popularity, no offense to Vancouvers GM. H

I wouldn't say it's based on 'popularity' more based on GM activity and the work put into the roster. LA made 1 trade, and started off with the reigning Stanley Cup champions. That being said, I do feel like Vancouver has superior forward depth, a strong D, and a good goalie pairing. I feel like Vancouver worked hard at accumulating pieces that were once an area of concern (scoring depth, much stronger bottom 6) and has turned a team that, in real life, just got swept. LA added Jay Bouwmeester, but I wouldn't say that's a significant improvement on their team, as they traded a great, young defender in Slava Voynov.

The 'best' team on paper doesn't always win.

virothepyro

#lydia2012
Jan 11, 2009
I wouldn't say it's based on 'popularity' more based on GM activity and the work put into the roster. LA made 1 trade, and started off with the reigning Stanley Cup champions. That being said, I do feel like Vancouver has superior forward depth, a strong D, and a good goalie pairing. I feel like Vancouver worked hard at accumulating pieces that were once an area of concern (scoring depth, much stronger bottom 6) and has turned a team that, in real life, just got swept. LA added Jay Bouwmeester, but I wouldn't say that's a significant improvement on their team, as they traded a great, young defender in Slava Voynov.

well said

FlamesFreak4

Oct 10, 2012
Calgary

Vancouver made some solid moves, LAK made 1 move then went completely innactive. That's like voting TOR/OTT into the playoffs, who went innactive from the start. I don't see how it's a popularity contest.

Aela*

I wouldn't say it's based on 'popularity' more based on GM activity and the work put into the roster. LA made 1 trade, and started off with the reigning Stanley Cup champions. That being said, I do feel like Vancouver has superior forward depth, a strong D, and a good goalie pairing. I feel like Vancouver
worked hard at accumulating pieces that were once an area of concern (scoring depth, much stronger bottom 6) and has turned a team that, in real life, just got swept. LA added Jay Bouwmeester, but I wouldn't say that's a significant improvement on their team, as they traded a great, young defender in Slava Voynov.

Well said for sure. Definitely the VAN GM played the game better
and improved the team. LA just seems like a massive powerhouse in the playoffs, and the pieces he did keep (VAN) haven't been real productive in the playoffs. It was mainly the spread that made me mad I guess. Sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad