Post-Game Talk: He’s such a Bouche

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
How is Bouch-Ekholm so much better than nurse-ceci
Imo Ceci is the weak link. Ekholm is elite at this point, and allowed Bouchard to reach his potential and potentially even eclipse him. Ceci is an ideal bottom pairing guy or a top 4 on a non playoff team, much like Barrie was.

But maybe it has to be this way. It would be nice to make a pairing of Nurse-Pesce or whatever but can we afford that? Can we afford it after giving raises to guys like Bouchard, and of course McDavid and Draisaitl? Probably not

Maybe our best hope is to give Broberg a long leash. Maybe that's our best hope for top 4 quality at a bargain cap hit

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Just a pleasant reminder. Tocchet lost two finals as a flyer to oilers in the 80s 😂
Hopefully he puts a ton of pressure on his team, exactly what they don’t need as a team without much playoff experience together.

Nucks fans are already putting a ton of pressure on them, they hate the oilers more than they like their own team, just like the flames.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
It’s bad. But it’s not the first time we’ve seen a perfect shot from that angle go into the net. McD, Mcleod, Drai have all burned good goalies with that shot. It’s a tough shot to pull off but MOST goalies ARE down when the puck is at that angle which allows for that slim shooting oppurtunity. Big Z won’t make that shot again in a million years.

My friend had US feed and said Lundqvist was pointing out that that's how goalies are trained now and showed the same goal on like 5 different goalies.

EDIT: Which was brought up already in the megathread, sorry lol

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Or if we played the viable upgrade.
Anyone’s probably better than Ceci at this point. So I would do that. But I’m not a huge fan of Stecher to be honest.

My friend had US feed and said Lundqvist was pointing out that that's how goalies are trained now and showed the same goal on like 5 different goalies.
Yeh it was pointed out after my post that Lundqvist had that segment, I think it was posted to a couple pages after my post you quoted. Gives some much needed perspective to that goal against.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Just happy for a win, zero reason to get cocky we won an overtime game on a lucky play. I still have serious concerns with Skinner and lack of production from lines 2-4. I need to see something that gives me confidence this team is different than in years past and is championship caliber, not seen that as of yet. Hopefully it clicks.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Hopefully he puts a ton of pressure on his team, exactly what they don’t need as a team without much playoff experience together.

Nucks fans are already putting a ton of pressure on them, they hate the oilers more than they like their own team, just like the flames.
That's a fantastic way to put it. 90% of these posts are "hurr durr even though we lost be glad we didn't wake up in Edmonton haha"

Never seen a single oiler social media poster start off like that.

They simply hate us more than they like their own team. 40 years of humiliation. I think canucks lost something like 18 straight games against oilers in the 80s when there were still ties as outcomes.

The hatred runs deep.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah I saw that and added an edit that I hoped you saw lol. Sorry about that!
Lol no need to be sorry. I’m glad you quoted it again, it’s good education for the goalies experts around here. Lundqvist always comes with fire when it comes to goalie analysis.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Imo Ceci is the weak link. Ekholm is elite at this point, and allowed Bouchard to reach his potential and potentially even eclipse him. Ceci is an ideal bottom pairing guy or a top 4 on a non playoff team, much like Barrie was.

But maybe it has to be this way. It would be nice to make a pairing of Nurse-Pesce or whatever but can we afford that? Can we afford it after giving raises to guys like Bouchard, and of course McDavid and Draisaitl? Probably not

Maybe our best hope is to give Broberg a long leash. Maybe that's our best hope for top 4 quality at a bargain cap hit
Pesce would be perfect. Next gm needs to address this.

I can't stand these "what would you do types". Could you imagine this team with Zadorov and lindholm?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I swear Nurse's most reliable hockey happened when he had that hip flexor issue that forced him to just sit back and play defense.

How to replicate his state of mind when he has a hip injury. Maybe team should hire a hypnotist :)
That is an interesting point.

I just finished listening to the Got Yer Back podcast and Strudwick was talking about when you have an injury (which obviosuly doesnt prevent you from playing) it can help you to focus more.
He suggests thats why Leon can hyper focus when he is hurt.

So what you are saying here makes sense for Darnell too.
I like the hypnotist idea. :D

Reactions: oobga

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
How is Bouch-Ekholm so much better than nurse-ceci

A combination of brains and skill.

I'm just loving how confident Bouch is becoming with the puck. How fast he can hit a guy with a pass for transition, or if he doesn't like the situation how he can hold it and wait out forechecker's and change angles to make the play he wants. Been waiting a very long time to finally draft a player like this. Too bad Holland is such a dunce and didn't manage the cap properly to have him on an 8 year deal right now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Cant beleive that I forgot to mention this...I counted at least 10 minutes in what should be obvious penalties against the Oilers that werent called.
The McDavid high stick on Hughes...the Kane slewfoot, the Ryan stick to the jewels on Hogeland...that hit from beinnd by Nurse on Petersson.
These are all blatent, obvious penalties that were not called.

I have posted before that the NHL's standard for penalties changing in the playoffs is Bush League and we had a clear example of that yesterday.
As an Oilers fan I am glad those werent called but just think for a minute (for example) if that high stick by McDavid was reveresed and it was McDavid getting high sticked. Or McLeod getting speared in the jewels or Hymen getting hit from behind.
We would lose our shit on here and rightfully so.

Playoff refereeing is an absolute joke.

• Haha
Reactions: Spawn

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Because Nurse, Bouch, and Ek are SUBSTANTIALLY better than Ceci

I know Nurse hasn't been playing great either, but the with/without stats show that Ceci has been a drag on Nurse all year, and the drag is REALLY bad statistically.

In the playoffs, albeit with somewhat small sample size, Nurse is 24% better at xGF% without Ceci than with Ceci. Nurse is 34% with Ceci and 58% without Ceci. Ceci is also better without Nurse, but not nearly as much, with the same 34% with Nurse and 43% without Nurse. So Nurse is 15% better when you compare each without the other.

In the regular season the stats show a similar result. Nurse and Ceci were xGF% of 53%. Nurse without Ceci was 56% and Ceci without Nurse was 52% (so Ceci actually went down a little without Nurse in regular season). It is VERY clear that Ceci is dragging that pairing down, and by quite a bit.

The real interesting thing is when you insert Stecher into the mix with Nurse. Their xGF% together (again in limited minutes of course) is 59% in the regular season. So better than the Nurse/Ceci pairing by 6%.

It is somewhat crazy to me, that with Ceci being, by far, the worst defender on the team so far, in both +/- at -7 and all the advanced stats (lowest D xGF5, lowest D SCF%, and 2nd lowest D HDCF%), and with Stecher having some success with Nurse in the regular season, that the coach hasn't brought Stecher in for a game. It almost literally can't get worse, so what is the hold up? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Reactions: The Nuge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad