Value of: Crosby to the Avs

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
The soonest that I could see the Pens realistically moving Crosby is as a rental at next year’s trade deadline and only if he makes it very clear that he won’t re-sign.

Otherwise, I think he’s a Penguin for life.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
The soonest that I could see the Pens realistically moving Crosby is as a rental at next year’s trade deadline and only if he makes it very clear that he won’t re-sign.

Otherwise, I think he’s a Penguin for life.
If they trade Guentzel (and thus essentially throw in the towel on this season), why wait?

The Avs have a pressing need for a 2C, cap space due to the Landeskog LTIR, and Crosby probably doesn't want to sit out of the playoffs for a second year in a row when he could be chasing a cup if he's open-minded towards leaving anyways.

The Pens would want to get max value for Crosby and the Avs would probably pay more now than they ever will given the need and perfect fit of having Sid right behind Mack.

It's a very low chance of happening but if it is going to happen I think Colorado is clearly the destination and it should be now or never. Makes sense for all parties involved.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
If they trade Guentzel (and thus essentially throw in the towel on this season), why wait?

The Avs have a pressing need for a 2C, cap space due to the Landeskog LTIR, and Crosby probably doesn't want to sit out of the playoffs for a second year in a row when he could be chasing a cup if he's open-minded towards leaving anyways.

The Pens would want to get max value for Crosby and the Avs would probably pay more now than they ever will given the need and perfect fit of having Sid right behind Mack.

It's a very low chance of happening but if it is going to happen I think Colorado is clearly the destination and it should be now or never. Makes sense for all parties involved.
While he might waive to play with Nate, Sid holds all the cards. It really doesn't matter what the Pens want to do, or initiate doing.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
if crosby gets traded he'll end up picking his place like giroux.

1st, 2nd, ryjo, byram, foudy.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Pitt doesn’t have their 2024 1st. They won’t tank this season. What’s the point? To not get a top 7 pick they don’t control?

They have all these decent players right now. And no 2024 pick to improve via losing.
Here's how I see it:

If the Pens couldn't make the playoffs last year when they got 82 full games out of both Crosby & Malkin (when does that ever happen), and if they can't make it this year when they added EK and are getting a 50 goal pace out of Crosby, no chance they are making it next year when their already very old core is another year older and very likely without Guentzel.

If Crosby stays, he's facing a very real possibility of having already played his last playoff game ever back in 2022 without even knowing it.

I have no doubt it means a lot to him to be a Penguins lifer, but when confronted with never playing a playoff game again or having a very, very strong chance of winning at least one if not two more cups with the Avs (with his best friend), hard to not see hm valuing that opportunity more.

For the Pens long-term, what good is it to kick the can of a rebuild even further down the road letting Crosby ride out his career in Pitts if you aren't making the playoffs anyways? What's better for the Pens future, 36 year old Crosby for another 2 years or, let's say, Bo Byram and a 1st from the Avs?

This all hinges on Crosby wanting it but The Avs, The Pens, and Sid should all be thinking and talking about this IMO. It seems like an obvious win for everyone. No one will ever question Crosby's legacy as a Pen.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
This suggestion is like suggesting the Avs trade Sakic in 2006 because the Avs weren’t a contender.

And despite it never having happened, the rumors were rampant and there was a very vocal group of fans that wanted it. In the end the right decision was making him an Av for life, he already got his cups unlike guys like Bourque.

But if Crosby is going to move... I sure hope it's Colorado and nowhere else.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
And despite it never having happened, the rumors were rampant and there was a very vocal group of fans that wanted it. In the end the right decision was making him an Av for life, he already got his cups unlike guys like Bourque.

If Nuke is AWOL again, Avs have no shot and need to punt on that season.

We’re fools to invest in ruining future seasons into the current season unless Nuke is available to play for them.

I hope Crosby stays in Pitt.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I could see it. The Pens have hitched their wagon to a lame duck GM that's proven he can't build a winner. Why would Sid wanna stick around and what value are the Pens really getting out of him at this point? It's not like Ovi where they've had the same ownership his whole career and he's now chasing the goals record.

If Guentzal is a goner Sid really should be too. And the Avs are far and away the most logical destination

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I dont see what assets the Avs uave that are valuable for a Pena rebuild?

Byram is injury prone and hasnt proven himself a top pairing d-man with further potential yet

Avs 1st is pretty worthless as its going ti be a late 1st

Is an offer like:

Calum Ritchie + Bowen Byram + 2024 1st for Crosby really attractive enough to deal a top 10 greatest player all time?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If Nuke is AWOL again, Avs have no shot and need to punt on that season.

We’re fools to invest in ruining future seasons into the current season unless Nuke is available to play for them.

I hope Crosby stays in Pitt.

I can see this POV and why. I wasnt a fan of moving Barron in the past for instance. But truthfully, this team isn't good enough to win a cup without reinforcements. And there's no point in having prospects reinforce the team to be a strong regular season performer for a decade if it doesn't include more cups. I'd rather suck for another 15 years if it includes another 1-2 cups than limp along for another 10.

Crosby has the years left to make that happen.

Last edited:

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
Makes no sense for the Avs to fill one hole by creating another (Byram). Hopefully Cmac isn’t brain dead and deals Ritchie Gulyayev and as many firsts as needed.

Reactions: Alienblood

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
If it was to happen, I'd say it is more likely next year at the deadline if/when:

a) He's a pending UFA
b) The Pens are out of the playoffs
c) He wishes to re-sign in Pittsburgh in the summer and see out the end of his career there and
d) He wants to help the Pens with adding assets for one last shot / to help the upcoming rebuild.

Reactions: olli

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

Rumors ? Sakic signed an offer sheet with the NYR, in 1997 !

Crosby will eventually come to his childhood team.. the Habs 😄
Sure, when he's 42 and a shell of his former self.

If Crosby goes to Avs San Jose gets a top 5 pick next season from us.
Ultimately that might be what stops a deal from happening...

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
Crosby Malkin and Letang will finish their careers as a Pittsburgh Penguin. The Pens will finish in the top 5 lottery for the next few seasons after that (to rebuild). Then they will be serious competitors again. Absolutely no reason whatsoever to go against this mold.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I can see this POV and why. I wasnt a fan of moving Barron in the past for instance. But truthfully, this team isn't good enough to win a cup without reinforcements. And there's no point in having prospects reinforce the team to be a strong regular season performer for a decade if it doesn't include more cups. I'd rather suck for another 15 years if it includes another 1-2 cups than limp along for another 10.

Crosby has the years left to make that happen.
There is no point to having Crosby if he’s not skating with Nuke.

Crosby with Wood and Lex makes no sense… which is still a lame second line.

Crosby between Nuke and Rantanan/Lex does.

No Nuke. No Cup. And dealing for Crosby not to win cups is the stupidest thing the Avs franchise can do.

Drouin - Mack - Nuke
Lex - Crosby - Rants
Wood - Colton - LOC

Does have appeal… that’s a dangerous top 9. But we’re without a very very very key part of that today. Indefinitely. And we don’t have another top six winger in this club to replace Nuke.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I dont see what assets the Avs uave that are valuable for a Pena rebuild?

Byram is injury prone and hasnt proven himself a top pairing d-man with further potential yet

Avs 1st is pretty worthless as its going ti be a late 1st

Is an offer like:

Calum Ritchie + Bowen Byram + 2024 1st for Crosby really attractive enough to deal a top 10 greatest player all time?
I’d demand 50% retention on Crosby for that and RyJo goes the other way too.

Deal happens tomorrow to max Crosbys value. Otherwise. Way too high a price.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Rumors ? Sakic signed an offer sheet with the NYR, in 1997 !

Sure, when he's 42 and a shell of his former self.

Ultimately that might be what stops a deal from happening...
Probably true. 2024 1st top 10 protected or else 1st in 2025 with no protection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad