Value of: Crosby to the Avs

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't want to derail the Guentzel thread so I will just resurface this. (Again).

Looks like Guentzel is going to be shipped out and this Pens season is already lost.

Someone explain why Crosby to the Avs isn't the most obvious thing in the world. Why wouldn't all parties be on board?

The Pens are not making the playoffs again in Crosby's career, I bet my house on that. No prospects or elite young players, Malkin looks a shell of himself, it's just not happening.

Avs need a #2 C and have cap space. Crosby wants to retire a Pen but on the other hand, no one wants to win more than him. This gives Sid 2 maybe 3 more good cracks at the cup and lets him play meaningful hockey to wind down his career.

Imagine Crosby as their 2C? Not having to be the big horse but getting second pairing match ups, infusing leadership into the locker room, and buzzing around on the top PP unit with Nate and Makar? They are instant cup favourites.

The Pens would likely do right by Sid and take whatever package is offered to get him to his preferred destination but that doesn't mean the Pens can't profit from this. Calum Ritchie, a 1st, +?

A lot of people have laughed at this notion but tell me why it makes less sense than Crosby wasting the rest of his career on a basement team.

Because at this point in his career Crosby's legacy is better preserved staying with the Penguins then trying to win a cup with another team.

If he's traded to a team and wins another cup what exactly does that add to his resume?

He's not going to be the # 1 guy. He's firmly entrenched at # 5 all time or at least in that conversation. The only thing it may help with is getting him into the top 3 all time in terms of playoff production.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
If only Crosby wants to leave Pittsburgh
There's the only offer Pens can considered
Col received Crosby
Pit received Ritchie - Col 1st 2024 - Byram - Johansen - Behrens
With this Ritchie will be a 2C sure in 2 years
Byram top 4 D
Behrens Top 4 D
COL 1st
Johansen next year can be traded for assets @ TDL

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Dog. Come on. That trade does not make the Avs worse in any areas.
Byram has been playing well for a while so that would hurt.

O'Connor+ Byram + Wood +1st for Sid.

I just don’t see it happening though. Would be a weird move for Pitt. Replace Wood with RyJo. Better for you. Shorter term contract.

Sid retires for the only team he ever played for. Pitt. That’s what should and will happen.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Byram has been playing well for a while so that would hurt.

O'Connor+ Byram + Wood +1st for Sid.

I just don’t see it happening though. Would be a weird move for Pitt. Replace Wood with RyJo. Better for you. Shorter term contract.

I don't care about Wood. I figure they just used him as a cap dump. But giving up a few bottom six forwards and your #4 defenseman for a 90+ pt player that is probably 100+ with the line mates and usage he'd get in Colorado is not going to effect the Avs that much.

You'd be running McKinnon or Crosby 18-20 minutes a game. Who cares what the bottom six is..?

Reactions: McJedi and voxel

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I don't care about Wood. I figure they just used him as a cap dump. But giving up a few bottom six forwards and your #4 defenseman for a 90+ pt player that is probably 100+ with the line mates and usage he'd get in Colorado is not going to effect the Avs that much.

You'd be running McKinnon or Crosby 18-20 minutes a game. Who cares what the bottom six is..?
Byram is the Avs number 3. But you speak many truths.

Byram + LOC + RyJo + 2024 1st for Sid? Sure. I’d do it. Would lock in the cup most likely. With Nuke back we’d be insane.

We’ll be a favorite with Henrique at 2C too.

No chance I’d add Ritchie or Gulyayev to this. I’d add someone like Behrens though.

Last edited:

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Because at this point in his career Crosby's legacy is better preserved staying with the Penguins then trying to win a cup with another team.

If he's traded to a team and wins another cup what exactly does that add to his resume?

He's not going to be the # 1 guy. He's firmly entrenched at # 5 all time or at least in that conversation. The only thing it may help with is getting him into the top 3 all time in terms of playoff production.
It's not about "legacy" though in that sense, it's not Crosby sitting around being introspective about what decision reflects best on him when it's all said and done.

It's about a hyper competitive guy who loves to win and hates to lose not wanting to miss the playoffs for the last 4-5 seasons of his career when he could be chasing cups with his best buddy in Denver.

His legacy as a player is secure and so is his legacy as a Pen. Pitts fans will never hold it against him for leaving as they rebuild since he brought them 3 cups and if they do, they are trash fans. He doesn't deserve to go out like this. If he stays in Pittsburgh, I honestly think he's already played his last playoff game ever.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It's not about "legacy" though in that sense, it's not Crosby sitting around being introspective about what decision reflects best on him when it's all said and done.

It's about a hyper competitive guy who loves to win and hates to lose not wanting to miss the playoffs for the last 4-5 seasons of his career when he could be chasing cups with his best buddy in Denver.

His legacy as a player is secure and so is his legacy as a Pen. Pitts fans will never hold it against him for leaving as they rebuild since he brought them 3 cups and if they do, they are trash fans. He doesn't deserve to go out like this. If he stays in Pittsburgh, I honestly think he's already played his last playoff game ever.

I don’t think he cares.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Top two considerations:

1) Sid. What he wants. He controls his destiny here. You're not getting any arguments against him going somewhere else to get some success from Pens' fans. We all know this organization values Mike Sullivan more than anything else - and that Sid is not going anywhere so long as Dubas runs all decisions through Sullivan - we're a perennial bottom feeder at this point. But until Sid wants out - he won't leave. It's not hyperbole that Sid should be in the Hart conversation if this dog meat team can make the postseason. It's literally a 1 line team swimming upstream in a terrible system with zero support - everything is against them on a given night based on what we enter the game with. But Sully and Dubas thought their work ended in August and put blindfolds on thereafter.

Large gap

2) Business. Mario still sells jerseys. Not that jersey sales, TV deals/documentaries, etc. would stop if he left - but this organization has an eye on keeping Sid a Penguin for life. Who knows what exact chunk of value of the franchise is tied to Sid - but it ain't insignificant. A first round pick is utterly meaningless in this regard. "Fast tracking" a rebuild is [likely] meaningless in this regard.

Reactions: domaug

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Seeing Patrick Kane play for another team doesn’t bother me anywhere near as much as I thought it would. Even on Detroit I’d love to see him win a Cup and most Hawks fans feel the same. The guy accomplished everything for us already. Him playing elsewhere wouldn’t bother me, although I do really miss him on the team

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I hope Sid retires a Penguin. He’s earned all the accolades possible. He’s hyper-competitive, but I don’t get a sense that he’d want to compete anywhere else.

Reactions: McJedi and domaug

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Then they'll have the retirement ceremony in Kansas City.
you said that same shit 20 years ago and it didn't happen. rub those brain cells together and get some new material.

on the other hand, he doesn't owe you or Colorado anything just because one of his friends with whom he trains plays for the Avalanche.

Reactions: LurkerMcgee

randywoodsghost

Jul 13, 2022

I hope Sid retires a Penguin. He’s earned all the accolades possible. He’s hyper-competitive, but I don’t get a sense that he’d want to compete anywhere else.

Sidney Crosby, since the beginning of time:

“I don’t want to play anywhere else”

HF:

“He’s gonna play somewhere else”
It’s easy to say this when you’re a playoff team year after year but let’s check in in a couple of years when they missed the playoffs for a few years and are bottom feeders, which is where they are heading.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Crosby is trying to keep everyone around in Pittsburgh, so I doubt he will want to leave. But I do think it's best for the organization if everyone but Sid leaves!! Sid will have a job waiting for him in the near future anyway

Reactions: domaug

domaug

Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
It’s easy to say this when you’re a playoff team year after year but let’s check in in a couple of years when they missed the playoffs for a few years and are bottom feeders, which is where they are heading.
your statement has nothing to do with the posts you quoted. what the fans want and what Crosby wants are not necessarily the same things. ultimately, Crosby only goes if he wants to go.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
you said that same shit 20 years ago and it didn't happen. rub those brain cells together and get some new material.

on the other hand, he doesn't owe you or Colorado anything just because one of his friends with whom he trains plays for the Avalanche.
Literally nothing in my post suggests that this would be for me or Colorado? It's explicitly based on the assumption that the hyper competitive Crosby who is about to miss the playoffs for the second season in a row and honestly might never make them again if he stays with the Pens decides he'd rather finish his career elsewhere.

With Malkins rapid decline and (likely) trading Guentzel, I wouldn't be shocked if the Pens are dead last next year.

You think Crosby wants to not make playoffs for the last 5 seasons of his career?

domaug

Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Literally nothing in my post suggests that this would be for me or Colorado? It's explicitly based on the assumption that the hyper competitive Crosby who is about to miss the playoffs for the second season in a row and honestly might never make them again if he stays with the Pens decides he'd rather finish his career elsewhere.

With Malkins rapid decline and (likely) trading Guentzel, I wouldn't be shocked if the Pens are dead last next year.

You think Crosby wants to not make playoffs for the last 5 seasons of his career?
What do I think? I think you don't know what he wants just like I and nobody else here knows what he wants. We can infer from *his own words* what he wants, though. And in *his own words*, he doesn't want to leave Pittsburgh.

So until he changes his mind, we can assume that he doesn't want to leave Pittsburgh, so these discussions should stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad