Value of: Crosby to the Avs

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
The conversation starts with Newhook and a 2023 1st from the Avs... still would need to add for both cap and value but I'm not sure what

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The conversation starts with Newhook and a 2023 1st from the Avs... still would need to add for both cap and value but I'm not sure what

It would have to be better than Newhook, that looks like an offer for a rental

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
It would have to be better than Newhook, that looks like an offer for a rental

Well yeah, it's the base. They'd have to add more.

Or replace Newhook + 1st with Byram as the base, but I doubt very much Colorado trades Byram regardless of the scenario.

teoberto

Mar 13, 2021
Add Girard, but the Pens need to retain 2+mil. It will never happen

Refalanche

Jun 23, 2022
I would say they are probably closer than you give them credit for. Byram gets overrated crazy around here.
Byram played an average of 23:17 min per game in the finals vs Tampa, and looked really good doing so

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Add Girard, but the Pens need to retain 2+mil. It will never happen
Crosby + Joseph for Compher + Girard (just the NHL contracts) only adds $1.025m cap hit to Colorado, which is probably the most likely way it would go down, maybe with other pieces too. You basically have to include Compher or Erik Johnson or you have to have Pittsburgh retaining salary.

• Haha
Reactions: Groo

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He still has a few years of quality game left. I’m a Pens fan who doesn’t really care all that much about him having to play every year here. If this team goes down the tubes, I’m cool with him competing elsewhere for the last year or two of his career.

Ultimately up to him though, and he very likely may not want to leave.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
We'll just have to agree to disagree then. But its much more sound than you calling hedman overrated when he actually has a track record to fall back to, but sure whatever you say.
Byram got a Stanley cup to his name two weeks into being 21.

In a playoff setting where he lead the league in plus/minus and his advanced analytics had him with the top expected goals for in the finals. By a mile.

I guess Byram just plays amazing in the really important games vs the hardest competition when it matters most.

Yeah. He’s overrated for sure. I’d like to see more of this high level play in the preseason to really decide if he’s any good or not.

Just playing great as a 20 year old in the Stanley Cup playoffs is whatevs.

Seider, the Jesus Christ of young NHL defenseman, has an impressive 0 goals, 2 assists and is -1 in 10 games this year. He sees a ton of ice time so that low output is pretty indicative. And yet no one calls him overrated.

(Seider is excellent as is Hedman). No one should call either overrated.

But Byram is a hell of a player too (2 goals, 3 assist and +3 on the season). Detroit has the better record before you scream “look at the teams”.

Your take on Byram is dumba

Last edited:

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I honestly thought this was an old topic that got bumped. I can’t see Sidney leaving Pittsburgh to chase another cup.

If you want to check in again next year, I’ll say the same thing.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
If crosby wants out ,it's to the avs .....if Pittsburgh falls off the earth which seems likely he may want out . Seems unlikely as sid never complains about his team but they are not a good team and this may be his chance to win again. The avs have the pcs. It's all up to Sid

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Horvat has outplayed Matthews to start this season. Therefore Matthews is overrated like crazy.

See how dumb you sound?
Mine was a retort to the stupid comment Byram was overrated. Especially coming for a Tampa fan that just saw his team get smoked by Byram in the finals.

Hedman is a great player. And Byram is underrated. Bigly.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Didn't want to start a brand new thread on this since I know this has been discussed many times before in the past, but I really do think it's something to talk about again.

Listening to 32 thoughts and sounds like two things may be true in Pitts:

i) Management is no longer open to trading any and all picks/prospects to keep trying to hold the closing window open. They are looking beyond this 20 year golden era now and saying ok time to think about the future. This means they are no longer "all in" for Crosby's last years.

ii) Pens will meet with Guentzel at the all-star break and discuss his future. Trading him seems very much on the table.

Let's say they agree to trade Guentzel.

It's easy to put yourself in Crosby's shoes and say look, I've won 3 cups, 2 gold medals, Harts, Rosses, Conn Smyths, Rockets. I've made 160 million dollars. I'm Gucci and I want to just chill and finish my career in a Penguins uniform.

However, if there's one thing we've come to learn about Sidney Crosby over the past two decades, this guy is as competitive as humans come and is never content to lose and just chill. Guy wants to win forever and always.

Does the prospect of finishing his career in Pitts mean more to him than the excitement and challenge of chasing more cups with his best friend? Avs need a #2 C and if cap friendly is correct they have 5.5 million in cap space available at the deadline which pro-rated means Crosby should fit.

I think this makes too much sense not to think about again.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
He has a no movement clause so he'd have to wave it in order for a trade to happen. I believe the main reason Malkin signed his new contract was because Crosby was committed to staying with the penguins long term.

It's basically an impossibility.

Just to amplify this some more, in a recent interview, MacKinnon was asked about some day playing with Crosby. He said its about the Olympics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad