Value of: Crosby to the Avs

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Well, he can always sign back with PIT after next season as a UFA.

Crosby for O'Connor+ Byram + Wood +1st

Who says no?
There isn’t enough salary going back that wouldn’t put us over the top, I don’t like the fact we lose our third line. I mean to get Crosby you make it work. I’d rather deal in futures over players that would help win the Stanley cup. Just don’t make sense in that regard

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
If the Pens were selling, I would expect it would be nothing less than the Avs 1st, Ritchie, Behrens, and ++ if we are talking a pure rebuild type of move. What the ++ is depends on if Ryjo is going to Pit or if they find a third team to take RyJo.

I could see a Byram based deal, but I am not sure that makes sense vs a pure prospect bottom out type of move -- as they are going to need several years to rebuild and Byram arguably will be too far ahead of whatever development curve of the futures that would be coming in other moves.

All that said, Crosby is not moving this deadline unless he demands/requests it and I don't see that happening.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
IF they trade Guentzel, Crosby has no reason to stay. He is still unbelievably good player and he deserves better teammates and coach, and chance to win the cup after many years with no playoffs success.

That would be a craziest start for the rebuild that I've seen if Pens deal Jake and Crosby at the TDL (and after that, everything else that has value like EK at 50%, Letang and Malkin..).

It feels sad but I'm also curious and open to this. Not now, but only if the Pens are below the playoffs line after February. AVS is one of my second favorite teams so it would help me to process this

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
That's only 4 spots.
Top 5.

And if you’ll try reading my posts again you’ll see I said that nobody puts him in the top four and that there’s a lot of competition for the fifth spot, so Crosby is by no means “largely recognized as a top five player of all time” outside of biased Pens fans.

I know reading comprehension may be difficult for some people, but keep trying - you may eventually get it.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
IF they trade Guentzel, Crosby has no reason to stay. He is still unbelievably good player and he deserves better teammates and coach, and chance to win the cup after many years with no playoffs success.

That would be a craziest start for the rebuild that I've seen if Pens deal Jake and Crosby at the TDL (and after that, everything else that has value like EK at 50%, Letang and Malkin..).

It feels sad but I'm also curious and open to this. Not now, but only if the Pens are below the playoffs line after February. AVS is one of my second favorite teams so it would help me to process this
Unfortunately it's time to make and take these hard decisions. But I agree, if moving Jake is the decision taken, they why hang on to the rest of the core. Trade them and get back as many assets you can in the next year or two. Hope to somewhat speed up a little retool on the fly.

Once these guys retire, they should all have roles within the organization anyway!

Reactions: Miro4Norris

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Unfortunately it's time to make and take these hard decisions. But I agree, if moving Jake is the decision taken, they why hang on to the rest of the core. Trade them and get back as many assets you can in the next year or two. Hope to somewhat speed up a little retool on the fly.

Once these guys retire, they should all have roles within the organization anyway!
Nah.

We don't deserve them ever associating with our fanbase again.

Seriously.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Which of Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, and Orr is he a consensus pick above (outside delusional Pens fans that is?)
As a non pens fan I’d put him Above all of them. Mario just didn’t play long enough and Gordie was wat way b4 my time. Sid is prob the most complete hockey player to ever play the game. Dudes a 200 foot beast. Those guys you mentioned are legends but only in the o zone. Sid is the most talented hockey player there ever was. He’s strong in the o and d zone and he has been for 10 plus years now. Consistency is Sidney Crosby. Wayne didn’t even come past the red line. Orr was an offensive d man. Sid is by far the most complete player of all of them.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
As a non pens fan I’d put him Above all of them. Mario just didn’t play long enough and Gordie was wat way b4 my time. Sid is prob the most complete hockey player to ever play the game. Dudes a 200 foot beast. Those guys you mentioned are legends but only in the o zone. Sid is the most talented hockey player there ever was. He’s strong in the o and d zone and he has been for 10 plus years now. Consistency is Sidney Crosby. Wayne didn’t even come past the red line. Orr was an offensive d man. Sid is by far the most complete player of all of them.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Colorado has nothing that would get Crosby. It's a team of a handful of elite players and then a significant dropoff. Nothing in the pipeline that would get it done either. It would obviously have to start with Byram but I don't see any package that makes sense for Pit.

• Haha
Reactions: Bender

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Well, he can always sign back with PIT after next season as a UFA.

Crosby for O'Connor+ Byram + Wood +1st

Who says no?
The Avs say no. That trade makes them worse in several areas.

If Crosby wants a trade, it will be on his terms. Compensation to Pitt will be secondary and mediocre.

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
im all for crosby to the avs, even though there are definitely teams that could outbid the avs for them with better playres and better futures, i think crosby can basically determine avs or bust if he wanted to and make it happen based on who he is to the org (good will, risk losing him for nothing, etc). It's time to blow it up for pits if guentzel is gone too there will be absolutely no point in staying.

i can't speak for pens fans but him leaving i thinkk would be understandable and i dont think any fan would blame him based on the current roster and outlook.

though some point out he did it to themselves by stepping in and making sure malkin and letang re-signed. lol i guess he didnt think the drop off would be this bad which was dumb on his part

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The Avs say no. That trade makes them worse in several areas.

If Crosby wants a trade, it will be on his terms. Compensation to Pitt will be secondary and mediocre.
No reason to trade him unless it helps PIT fill its cupboard and makes them better in the long run.
EK was traded for 1st+Granlund + Rutta.
ROR, Ekholm Kane etc were all traded for decent return. Compensation for PITT is going to hurt any team than acquires Crosby especially when he is more than a rental.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
What would it take from the avs for this to happen? Pittsburgh clearly isn’t going anywhere with their current core and this gives Sid a chance another chance at a cup with his buddy Nate.
Crosby winning another cup with another team doesn't improve his legacy he's played in 5 Conference Final 4 Final winning 3 Stanley Cups all with the Pittsburgh Penguins Currently in his 19th season and playing at a high level will likely sign an extension maybe 2 years + 1 year remaining on current deal Crosby playing his entire career for the Penguins is whats best for his legacy .

Last edited:
Reactions: LTIR

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
No reason to trade him unless it helps PIT fill its cupboard and makes them better in the long run.
EK was traded for 1st+Granlund + Rutta.
ROR, Ekholm Kane etc were all traded for decent return. Compensation for PITT is going to hurt any team than acquires Crosby especially when he is more than a rental.
I didn’t say it would be nothing. It would be mediocre. A 1st round pick would be in there. Probably a 2nd too. And a prospect of some merit. Not just some B level guy.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
And if you’ll try reading my posts again you’ll see I said that nobody puts him in the top four and that there’s a lot of competition for the fifth spot, so Crosby is by no means “largely recognized as a top five player of all time” outside of biased Pens fans.

I know reading comprehension may be difficult for some people, but keep trying - you may eventually get it.
I'm not a Pens fan

Reactions: Shark Finn

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
You'd need 1st 2024, 2025, and 2026. But you'd also get to dump 8.7 million of whatever cap dumps you'd need to offload.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
There isn’t enough salary going back that wouldn’t put us over the top, I don’t like the fact we lose our third line. I mean to get Crosby you make it work. I’d rather deal in futures over players that would help win the Stanley cup. Just don’t make sense in that regard
I'll take the futures. Byram would be wasted on a rebuilding penguins team.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I don't want to derail the Guentzel thread so I will just resurface this. (Again).

Looks like Guentzel is going to be shipped out and this Pens season is already lost.

Someone explain why Crosby to the Avs isn't the most obvious thing in the world. Why wouldn't all parties be on board?

The Pens are not making the playoffs again in Crosby's career, I bet my house on that. No prospects or elite young players, Malkin looks a shell of himself, it's just not happening.

Avs need a #2 C and have cap space. Crosby wants to retire a Pen but on the other hand, no one wants to win more than him. This gives Sid 2 maybe 3 more good cracks at the cup and lets him play meaningful hockey to wind down his career.

Imagine Crosby as their 2C? Not having to be the big horse but getting second pairing match ups, infusing leadership into the locker room, and buzzing around on the top PP unit with Nate and Makar? They are instant cup favourites.

The Pens would likely do right by Sid and take whatever package is offered to get him to his preferred destination but that doesn't mean the Pens can't profit from this. Calum Ritchie, a 1st, +?

A lot of people have laughed at this notion but tell me why it makes less sense than Crosby wasting the rest of his career on a basement team.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
He has a no movement clause so he'd have to wave it in order for a trade to happen. I believe the main reason Malkin signed his new contract was because Crosby was committed to staying with the penguins long term.

It's basically an impossibility.
It will happen, just not right now.

He has one season left on his contract after this one. Pens have missed the playoffs back-to-back seasons for the first time since Crosby was drafted, and next year they will likely miss as well.

Malkin only has 2 years left after this one too so its not like hes on an 8 year ticket.

If the pens trade Guentzel for futures and start rebuilding, Crosby will have a free-pass to leave the penguins on good terms, legacy intact, and chase a couple more cups. Kind of like how P. Kane left the hawks, and everyone understood and wished him well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad