Value of: Crosby to the Avs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure what the Avs do at center behind MacKinnon but Crosby is not being traded anytime soon. All I know is the Avs don't repeat as cup champions with Compher/Newhook/Maltsev as the center depth behind Nathan. Do they move Rantanen at center when Landeskog comes back? Not sure but if they do, I still don't think that is ideal. We are talking high standards here for cup contenders.

ROR or Horvat would be a good targets. Blues and Canucks are not off to a great start.

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
Oh the “What if” games… what if Letang and Malkin happened to sign ridiculous long term deals to finish their careers in Pittsburgh with Crosby, only for Crosby to hold up his middle finger to them and say “I’m out, beaches”

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Malkin and Letang resigning makes this impossible. There's no way he'd leave now. Had they not I would've said he'd finish his career on a contender but now not so much.

SoulDynasty

Jan 25, 2017
Ottawa
We’ve had this topic many times before. Only way it happens is if Crosby demands to be traded to Colorado to finish his career so Avs don’t pay a ton.

Not going to happen, no need for stupid pissing match over values.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The point is Crosby will never be traded. If you want them to even consider it, it will take a huge overpayment.
I don't think Crosby is going anywhere either. However, only way this gets done if Crosby wants out. If that happens he probably picks where he wants to go which will lower the price quite a bit.

Reactions: SeanMoneyHands

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I would guess it would be something like Newhook+Olausson+Girard+2023 first+2024 first for Crosby $2m retained, but it would never happen.

Reactions: Brett44

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The price would destroy the Avs depth.

Likely Nikushkin, Byram, Newhook, 3 1st round picks.
Sure. If Crosby is 25 years old. So does Pitt have a Time Machine?

The point is Crosby will never be traded. If you want them to even consider it, it will take a huge overpayment.
You say that like Crosby has no say on the matter and it’s all about Pitt only.

But you’re right the point is the idea is wrong on its face.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It is downright impossible to predict the value of someone like Crosby because he's not being traded, and the only way he's being traded is if he's hand picking his location.

The idea of trading "fair value" for Crosby doesn't exist. He's either not getting traded or he's getting traded for pennies as he picks where he's going. The Penguins would never be initiating a Crosby trade, Crosby would be initiating it.

Reactions: AslanRH

EquivalentStay

Jul 27, 2020
Byram outplayed eveyone on Tampa in the finals. So then Hedman is overrated like crazy around here.
Horvat has outplayed Matthews to start this season. Therefore Matthews is overrated like crazy.

See how dumb you sound?

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
It is downright impossible to predict the value of someone like Crosby because he's not being traded, and the only way he's being traded is if he's hand picking his location.

The idea of trading "fair value" for Crosby doesn't exist. He's either not getting traded or he's getting traded for pennies as he picks where he's going. The Penguins would never be initiating a Crosby trade, Crosby would be initiating it.

Exactly that. I see 3 scenarios before he retires:

- Stays in Pittsburgh
- Requests a trade to Montreal for his final year
- Signs a 1 year deal as UFA with Habs

I truly believe he’ll only play for Pittsburgh but with all he has accomplished in his career, I could see him wanting to play for his childhood team and being able to say later in his life he has been a Habs player.

He claimed many times it always has been a dream to play for the Habs and he seems sentimental about it. Regardless of where Habs rebuild will be at that moment, he won’t care and will just want to accomplish ‘’that’’

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
Horrible value. Compher and Rodrigues are nothing players to try and make the cap work. Girard is a good player at best and then two scratch off lottery tickets aka late 1st round picks.

Crosby will retire a Penguins player. But if he was traded even at his age, he would receive a heck of lot more than this. Looking at the Avs prospects, I don't think they have enough. Newhook + Byram + Olausson + 2023 1st + 2024 1st still doesn't feel like enough.
Sorry but you are being an annoying homer. Idiotic

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
If Sid requested a trade: probably Byram + Newhook as the core of the return is a reasonable starting point. Would probably see adds like Dumoulin for Girard in there too to balance out the trade - maybe not that exactly, but something that sends contributing roster players back to the Avs and gives Pittsburgh younger pieces for the rebuild.

rogking65

May 13, 2016
so keep Crosby, Malkin and Letang until they are worthless and start your rebuild with a bare cupboard or trade them for picks and prospects and jumpstart your rebuild. I guarantee all GM's will take option number 2. Any team with aging stars and are not in a position to compete should be trading those stars

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
What would it take from the avs for this to happen? Pittsburgh clearly isn’t going anywhere with their current core and this gives Sid a chance another chance at a cup with his buddy Nate.
I think this doesn't has a chance of happening right now; but as the Pens fall out of the playoff race, I could see this gather momentum, It really would make sense for all parties.

Jost + 2nd....OH WAIT!

Wouldn't take anything from the Avs, it would take Crosby demanding a trade and then you'd talk about what's going back.

It would take a 1st + jost+ something else interesting.

SoulDynasty

Jan 25, 2017
Ottawa
so keep Crosby, Malkin and Letang until they are worthless and start your rebuild with a bare cupboard or trade them for picks and prospects and jumpstart your rebuild. I guarantee all GM's will take option number 2. Any team with aging stars and are not in a position to compete should be trading those stars

I’m speaking as a die hard Avs fan here. GM of Pittsburgh will choose option 1 when it comes to Crosby 100% of the time. Same way that Avs never even considered trading Joe Sakic in his last couple of years.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I think this doesn't has a chance of happening right now; but as the Pens fall out of the playoff race, I could see this gather momentum, It really would make sense for all parties.

It would take a 1st + jost+ something else interesting.
How about the fillings out of my teeth while you’re at it?!

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Getting Crosby would make Avs get back to back cups if they can get a goalie because you can't rely on that goalie tandem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad