Craig MacTavish meeting the media

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
"Much better in our zone?
Only 3-4 pieces away?
100% confidence in coaching staff?"

... and here I thought MacT had some brains.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
The team blows... trading the 1st round pick is BOLDLY STUPID when it's looking like a top 2 pick at this stage. You aren't going to get a top pairing dman never mind a #1 dman for that 1st round pick and if that's not coming back... forget it.

Keep the pick and take the BPA. Fix the team with other moves. Trading a likely top 2 pick when this team has holes galore is a cop-out move by management... do your job MacT and make roster moves and coaching changes... or simply step down if you can't do that.

Completely agree. Ekblad will do more for this team's future than any trade return could. That pick is not a trade piece. Clear salary and chase a top pairing d-man for now, but don't trade the shot at a phenom.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
...long term... building towards a Stanley cup calibre team... battle through it... players are going to develop... will work through this and become a very good hockey team.

Messaging from coaching staff is bang on... couldn't be happier with the coaching... continuity from the coaching is necessary... not a lack of effort or caring from the group or a lack of motivation.

Words and thoughts out of MacT on 630Ched.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
"Absolutely prepared to move it"... on trading the 1st round pick.

Probably looking at moving the pick for an entry level type player.

Not an NHL calibre defense at this point.

More words from MacT.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In a strange way though he didn't flat out say Eakins wouldn't be fired. Said his preference would be to support him with moves.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
This management scares the hell out of me. If they trade the pick and it ends up being Ekblad I will lose it.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Just re-iterated again that moving Smid was to add cap flexibility.

Jun 9, 2011
It's taken a lot, but I am now losing hope. Why trade a high first round when we are so low in the standings right now?

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
"Absolutely prepared to move it"... on trading the 1st round pick.

Probably looking at moving the pick for an entry level type player.

Not an NHL calibre defense at this point.

More words from MacT.

... this sounds terrible. Trade for an equally as young player?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Likes Yak a lot... he's a little irrational and impatient about how tough it is or how long it takes to make the transition to an NHL environment.

Paraphrasing MacT.

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton
So, if J Schultz is playing last night, he probably scores.

Says MacT. This whole organization is unbelievable.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Just re-iterated again that moving Smid was to add cap flexibility.

its not just about trading smid or not.

you can argue that trading smid was necessary or at best not hurtful. but at least get a reasonable return. the return is what is absolutely inexcusable.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
When he said he doesn't think it's a lack of effort I :facepalm: 'd.

These guys are so delusional it's embarrassing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Glad he admitted the mistake of thinking Klefbom was ready for the NHL...
no need to rush yet another prospect

To be honest he never really made a mistake. He brought in depth so Klefbom wouldn't be forced in.

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 3m
"We're not a competitive-level NHL defence at this time." #Oilers GM Craig MacTavish.

“The blueline needs to be improved upon… Do we need a big stud defenceman? It would help immensely.” – MacTavish on #Oilers D

— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) November 14, 2013

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
My feeling is you might see a deal like the EDM 1st 2014 for Adam Larsson or something.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Yeah, that's great thinking. Trade a guaranteed #1 or #2 overall pick which will be Ekblad on D for an entry level player that won't be as good but just as inexperienced. :help:

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Did anyone catch Bob's quote from Kris Knoblauch about Nurse? Something about being the top dman in the OHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad