Craig MacTavish meeting the media

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
There is ZERO guarantee that the Oilers draft Ekblad even if they keep the pick. The Sabres and Panthers are both equally horrific teams and there is also the lottery.

Ekblad is trending well, but young defensemen are crapshoots as well.

Trading the pick makes so much sense right now if they can get good value for it to upgrade the blueline NOW.

oilphan

Nov 21, 2005
Along with Hall, our first round pick is probably our only asset at its peak value right now. We all know #4 isn't going anywhere, so our pick should be in play.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
It's taken a lot, but I am now losing hope. Why trade a high first round when we are so low in the standings right now?

Well to be fair, he said he's willing to move it if he gets fair value for it. Let's just say that if Subban and Montreal struggle to get a deal done again and they aren't prepared to pay him 6.5-7M but the oilers are, maybe they'll be open to trading him and getting a guy like Ekblad. I'm not saying that'll happen, just an example. We are going no where this season, unless we can get a number 1 D, we should keep that pick till draft day and see what kind of value we can get for it. Draft Ekblad if we don't get fair value.

Billybaroo*

this, right here, is the very definition of incompetence

trading a guy who is a top-4 dman right now, so that he can make room for 2 guys who *might* be top-4 dmen in 2 or 3 years? lol... what? am i on acid?

In what world is Smid a top 4?
My god.
And I like Smid & remain befuddled by the trade.. But he's not a top 4

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Could we combine an oiler presser with a Rob Ford presser? Kind of a mash up?

"I apologize, I was extremely inebriated when I traded Smid for scraps but I don't have a problem."

"I am staying on no matter what! I already told you that we do good work with the Oilers when not smoking crack!"

"I'm not saying that staffer said I wanted to eat pu****. i am saying our whole team are a bunch of pu**ies!"

"I must have been in one of my drunken stupors when I said we were making progress and I apologize for that. I would like to reiterate we don't have a problem."

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Who do you think they'll leapfrog in the standings? Buffalo will improve slightly, so if anything the Oilers are going backwards more.

Finish last, pick #1 or #2. Explained for you.

Why is Buffalo improving? They are cleaning house. CBJ has to move Gaborik now.

Just 3 games ago PHI was one of the worse teams in the league. Win 3 and now they are 3 points out of being 19th.

We are far from being a shoe in to pick 1 or 2.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Well to be fair, he said he's willing to move it if he gets fair value for it. Let's just say that if Subban and Montreal struggle to get a deal done again and they aren't prepared to pay him 6.5-7M but the oilers are, maybe they'll be open to trading him and getting a guy like Ekblad. I'm not saying that'll happen, just an example. We are going no where this season, unless we can get a number 1 D, we should keep that pick till draft day and see what kind of value we can get for it. Draft Ekblad if we don't get fair value.

The whole Subban thing reminds me of when doughty was to be resigned - he stuck to his guns and got paid like the player he knew he was becoming. I think Subban's confidence will make him an ideal player for Edmonton to ruin.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Why is Buffalo improving? They are cleaning house. CBJ has to move Gaborik now.

Just 3 games ago PHI was one of the worse teams in the league. Win 3 and now they are 3 points out of being 19th.

We are far from being a shoe in to pick 1 or 2.

There are no guarantees, but of all the bottom feeder teams only Florida is in the same calibre in terms of roster. I would have a hard time believing the Oilers will outperform their roster this year unless goaltending starts stealing us wins.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
That's my feeling as well... sounds like he wants a younger guy with upside rather than a vet dman for that pick.

It's strange that he wanted an entry level player in return. I don't think very many players like that would be available, and if they were, they probably would not be worth trading a top 2 pick to get.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Who do you think they'll leapfrog in the standings? Buffalo will improve slightly, so if anything the Oilers are going backwards more.

Finish last, pick #1 or #2. Explained for you.

Buffalo and Florida are both in fire sale mode. Edmonton should be able to pass them. There's not so much daylight between Columbus and Calgary that they can't be caught.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The thing about this year is that expectations have been lowered so far that any scrap of success will be hailed as huge progress. Later in the year they will string together a nice little run of 4 or 5 wins together and then all will be well and next year there will be no pressure to make the playoffs as no one will even think it is a remote chance.

As for him sticking my Eakins, of course he is Eakins is a mini me MacT. MacT would also be having zero success if he was coaching this team, they think alike.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
**** this piece of **** organization every single part of it is a ****ing joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00