Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Acquire Datsyuk and #16 for #20, #53 and Joe Vitale

Status
Not open for further replies.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
At first glance this was a WTF move and I was unhappy about it, but looking a bit deeper it's not so bad. We got actual money off the books while taking on cap, moved up and got a nice dman, and made a statement that we are willing to play ball. Still not a great move but there is a silver lining.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hey, how many#53's make a big impact in the league? At that spot in the second round, IMO its a real crap shoot. Perhaps the Coyote scouts thought that there would be a big drop off between 15 and 20, or they thought that neither Fabbro nor Chychrun would be available at 20. Also, by taking Vitali, the Coyotes cleared 1.1MM off of their actual payroll (and there's no saying that Vitale would be the same player or even able to play this season).

Make an impact? Hell, at #53 most don't even play a game in the NHL. We would have been better off keeping the pick, but if Chychrun turns out like he was projected to, this could be a steal and no one will remember #53.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
ELC players are cheap. There's no way around it. If you have a lot of them, you have to worry about the floor more than the cap. Just the way it is. Other teams are jealous.

Correct, but our time will come soon enough when we are the ones looking to unload a contract.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
My concern about the trade will disappear if Chayka does a deal with some of our later round picks to get us back another second. And Vitale coming off the roster is a good move since who knows if he's going to play another game in the NHL, but he's still got two years left on his deal.

I'm also rationalizing that Chayka did Kenny Holland a solid that might be repaid at some point in the future, but I'm not really holding my breath on that.

Chychrun at 16 is fine. I did find it laughable that, the minute the Coyotes were rumored to be trading up for him, Pierre and Bob McKenzie immediately went into character assassination mode on the kid.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I think Chayka is not out to take advantage of other team's misfortunes. He could have , but he made this a win win.

- We want teams to want to trade with us. There are other managers who want to fleece other teams , but it ruins it for them down the road.. ( Think Kevin Lowe ).

- Maybe we shouldn't have given up the second , but maybe we wouldn't have the player we wanted. I think an experienced Assistant GM , will help with this in the future.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'm also rationalizing that Chayka did Kenny Holland a solid that might be repaid at some point in the future, but I'm not really holding my breath on that.

It can't hurt to do them a favor; if anything it begins building a relationship for future deals and Detroit is a pretty good team to have a positive trade relationship with.

Domingue for Mrazek? :laugh:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think Chayka is not out to take advantage of other team's misfortunes. He could have , but he made this a win win.

- We want teams to want to trade with us. There are other managers who want to fleece other teams , but it ruins it for them down the road.. ( Think Kevin Lowe ).

- Maybe we shouldn't have given up the second , but maybe we wouldn't have the player we wanted. I think an experienced Assistant GM , will help with this in the future.

I know plenty of people think we over paid but this trade worked for both teams. The wings think they made a great deal. The Coyotes think they made a great deal because they had Chychrun ranked in the top 10. It is ok for a trade to work for both sides, nobody has to feel like they are ripped off or got the upper hand.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Datsyuk is playing in Russia next season. His contract counts against the cap but he doesn't actually get paid. Vitale is on LTIR, meaning his contract doesn't count against the cap but he still gets paid.

So the Coyotes actually gain $1.3m from this deal to spend next year.

Thanks!

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
I think this trade is great just for the salt coming out of the other 28 markets :D

Getting out of the frist round with Keller and Chychrun and an additional 1.3 million dollars while losing the 53 Overall is a-ok in my books.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Will Stamkos (just) replace Datsyuk, on a team that barely got into the playoffs or will he be an addition to a different up-and-coming franchise?
This trade did virtually removed the Coyotes from the Stamkos Sweepstakes and gave Detroit a spot, which I don't think that looks like a promising situation for any free agent as both Zetterberg and Kronwall will turn 36 this next hockey season. Without Datsyuk, the Red Wings would not have made the playoffs!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I don't think Lowe fleeced anyone. Lowe did to Edmonton what TGO did to us, and that is set up back a decade.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I know plenty of people think we over paid but this trade worked for both teams. The wings think they made a great deal. The Coyotes think they made a great deal because they had Chychrun ranked in the top 10. It is ok for a trade to work for both sides, nobody has to feel like they are ripped off or got the upper hand.

Correct. The Coyotes said it was tough not to pick Chychrun at 7, so our scouts had him high.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Will Stamkos (just) replace Datsyuk, on a team that barely got into the playoffs or will he be an addition to a different up-and-coming franchise?
This trade did virtually removed the Coyotes from the Stamkos Sweepstakes and gave Detroit a spot, which I don't think that looks like a promising situation for any free agent as both Zetterberg and Kronwall will turn 36 this next hockey season. Without Datsyuk, the Red Wings would not have made the playoffs!

I hope Stamkos stays in Tampa. He is their C and they both deserve each other.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
IMO this is a two horse race between Detroit and Buffalo.
I don't think either of those options as appealing as HFers make it out to be. Buffalo is already deep @ center and Detroit just lost Datsyuk and squeaked into the playoffs.

My guess is that he will sign with Montreal and the Habs trade Tomas Plekanec before he gets too old.
The Islanders look better than those 2 options.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Correct. The Coyotes said it was tough not to pick Chychrun at 7, so our scouts had him high.

In thinking more about this trade, it clearly improves the Coyotes based on where they had Chychyrun rated. Although the majority think we over paid, Chayka did what he had to do to improve the team. We are better today, in theory, then we would have been with whoever we would have taken at 20th. The cost was cap space we never would use or maybe a second that likely does not amount to much.

You should always make trades with the idea it will improve your team more so then making sure you got the better deal or even a more fair deal. Sometimes it is smart to just make the deal. This is the problem the Oilers management might be having, their fan base sure has it. They are afraid to make any trade that might be viewed like they got poor value versus thinking about improving their club, like Chayka just did. Maybe DM had this mentality of never risking making a trade mistake versus helping the team. Chayka is not afraid of a bold move and I like that in both the early look at Gogo and this trade.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Imagine it is Feb 2017, and rumors are circulating that Datsyuk is considering another run at a cup. Someone might be willing to send that second rounder right back. When euros retire to their home country pro league, it doesn't always mean they won't consider a 3 month return to North America for cash and glory.

This is what I was wondering about. Is this even a possibility, or is Datsyuk not allowed to come out of retirement mid-season?

In the Disney movie that I'm currently writing in my head, Datsyuk returns to the Coyotes in March, and leads us to the inevitable Finals matchup against the Wings, in which he scores the winning goal in Game 7.

The victory parade ends at the sparkling arena located across the street from my house.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
This is what I was wondering about. Is this even a possibility, or is Datsyuk not allowed to come out of retirement mid-season?

In the Disney movie that I'm currently writing in my head, Datsyuk returns to the Coyotes in March, and leads us to the inevitable Finals matchup against the Wings, in which he scores the winning goal in Game 7.

The victory parade ends at the sparkling arena located across the street from my house.

Yes it's possible, we have his rights / contract now.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Really, what did we give up in order to get the guy we wanted? We gave up a second round pick. Datsyuk is a non issue. It is a number on a spread sheet as we weren't about to spend to the cap anyway. Apart from getting Chychrun, we relieved ourselves of Vitale's contract, which is real money.

After initially thinking that we got the short end of the stick, I realize that we got a good deal for our second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad