Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Acquire Datsyuk and #16 for #20, #53 and Joe Vitale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Horrible asset management but we got a guy we wanted. Cap hit doesn't matter as we weren't going to use it anyways. Would have liked to squeeze another asset or not given up 53 instead of just saving vitale's $1.3 Million.

Hey, how many#53's make a big impact in the league? At that spot in the second round, IMO its a real crap shoot. Perhaps the Coyote scouts thought that there would be a big drop off between 15 and 20, or they thought that neither Fabbro nor Chychrun would be available at 20. Also, by taking Vitali, the Coyotes cleared 1.1MM off of their actual payroll (and there's no saying that Vitale would be the same player or even able to play this season).

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Hey, how many#53's make a big impact in the league? At that spot in the second round, IMO its a real crap shoot. Perhaps the Coyote scouts thought that there would be a big drop off between 15 and 20, or they thought that neither Fabbro nor Chychrun would be available at 20. Also, by taking Vitali, the Coyotes cleared 1.1MM off of their actual payroll (and there's no saying that Vitale would be the same player or even able to play this season).

It's more like we should have prob gotten added value for taking a 7.5m cap hit, we should have gotten the second, not gave it up.

Deal isn't bad, especially given we liked him a ton, but actual management of assets wasn't great. Savard got more for his hit, and he can be LTIR'd

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Agreed that I like this better without 53, but whatever. We're loaded with prospects, we can lose the pick.

Cap will be a little tighter than expected, but still very workable. I love dumping Vitale's money.

Big fan of Chychrun, especially at the value of 16 OV. If we don't make this move, I think Nashville takes him at 17.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I thought giving up our #3 rounder to move up 4 spots wasn't what I wanted given we were taking Datsyuks contract, but I'm not overly upset at the move.

he moved up to get who he wanted, GMDM always was extremely patient, I like the aggressiveness of our new guy so far.

Last edited:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I look at it as exchanging two favors and moving up costing us the second.
In regard to the favor exchange - the cap hit is nothing to us, but losing Vitale hit is, as it is also a negative for Detroit.
Simple win/win.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

I think we should have gotten more for bailing Detroit out of cap hell and giving them a seat at Stamkos table.

We weren't going to use the space. I get that.

We saved $1.3 Million. I get that as well.

I just don't think the cash we saved offset the huge favor we just provided to Detroit.

I know why we did it. We targetted a guy we had rated high who was definitely not going to be there at 20. As purely an asset use exercise though we overpaid. Again we aren't out anything so I'm crying about nothing.

I'm happy we acquired a very good D prospect. He looked very motivated to make everyone who passed on him regret their decisions.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I literally have zero complaints with Coyotes management this week.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'm surprised more don't like the deal. The contract means nothing. It was a 2nd rounder to move up and get one of, if not the most talented Dman in the draft and we got them to take a contract dump too. That's robbery. Who cares if this allows them a shot at Stamkos? We weren't getting him. I'd rather not see him in our division but other than that, I don't give a damn where he goes.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'll be the guy to raise his hand and say he doesn't understand.

Datsyuk is playing in Russia next season. His contract counts against the cap but he doesn't actually get paid. Vitale is on LTIR, meaning his contract doesn't count against the cap but he still gets paid.

So the Coyotes actually gain $1.3m from this deal to spend next year.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I'll be the guy to raise his hand and say he doesn't understand.

Dats gets paid no money, he is retired and the cap hit stays on becauses he signed a 35+ deal.

Vitale's contract prob wasn't insures and we still had to pay him the 1.3mil this year

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
My big issue with moves like this and the Pronger move, is that we are intentionally gimping ourselves. We are cheating the system so that we don't have to actually pay as much money as other teams to field a roster. This is 13 million dollars nearly under the cap floor that we technically don't have to spend. Unless we are spending 60 mil+ real dollars on a roster, I don't want to watch the product on the ice.

The longer we're able to do this and get away with it the better. It leaves a ton more room to sign key players coming up. I'd rather not lose promising players like Domi because we signed players just to be competitive.

Having a good team isn't cheap, they are playing this smart. Saving money for all this talent we have in the system.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
ELC players are cheap. There's no way around it. If you have a lot of them, you have to worry about the floor more than the cap. Just the way it is. Other teams are jealous.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Imagine it is Feb 2017, and rumors are circulating that Datsyuk is considering another run at a cup. Someone might be willing to send that second rounder right back. When euros retire to their home country pro league, it doesn't always mean they won't consider a 3 month return to North America for cash and glory.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
He looked very motivated to make everyone who passed on him regret their decisions.

It was refreshing to see the tears and all. A very proud day to get drafted and have your dream realized. Didn't look like he was taking all of this at all for granted. The Yotes traded up to get him and he took notice and appreciated it.

SportsRacer21

Mar 12, 2007
Columbia, MO
My big issue with moves like this and the Pronger move, is that we are intentionally gimping ourselves. We are cheating the system so that we don't have to actually pay as much money as other teams to field a roster. This is 13 million dollars nearly under the cap floor that we technically don't have to spend. Unless we are spending 60 mil+ real dollars on a roster, I don't want to watch the product on the ice.

We've got a new arena to build and we're financing 50+% of the funding...where else do you think that money is coming from? Our owners deep pockets :sarcasm:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The longer we're able to do this and get away with it the better. It leaves a ton more room to sign key players coming up. I'd rather not lose promising players like Domi because we signed players just to be competitive.

Hasving a good team isn't cheap, they are playing this smart. Saving money for all this talent we have in the system.

Agreed, very enthused with how they are taking care of business to date.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I'm surprised more don't like the deal. The contract means nothing. It was a 2nd rounder to move up and get one of, if not the most talented Dman in the draft and we got them to take a contract dump too. That's robbery. Who cares if this allows them a shot at Stamkos? We weren't getting him. I'd rather not see him in our division but other than that, I don't give a damn where he goes.

Exactly, agree 100%.

Damn I love him already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad