Cowen

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I disagree.

He's clearly not an NHL player at the moment.

If you think that he's learned all that he can learn after 13 AHL games (10 of which were post season) then either a) you don't know what you are talking about, or b) Cowen is a complete bust, or c) both.

Couldn't agree more.

The Fuhr*

As bad as he's been his stats are pretty good

28GP 78Hits, 44Blocked Shots, 3G

By the end if the season could have 240Hits, 140Blicked shots, 8-10G and he could be a + player on the defense

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Jared Cowen is a typical first round bust. He cannot keep up with the NHL speed game and that directly translates to his continuous crap play.

I don't see that changing as he gets older...being mean/hitting, all things he can do..but if u can't keep up in this league you are a pylon.

Having 2 major surgeries also didnt help his career.

Everyone is saying "wait another year or two and he'll be a beast". I'll take on that bet. I see a bust and I call out a bust.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Jared Cowen is a typical first round bust. He cannot keep up with the NHL speed game and that directly translates to his continuous crap play.

I don't see that changing as he gets older...being mean/hitting, all things he can do..but if u can't keep up in this league you are a pylon.

Everyone is saying "wait another year or two and he'll be a beast". I'll take on that bet. I see a bust and I call out a bust.

It is way too early to call him a bust being that he missed almost an entire season last year and he practically missed training camp this season as well. As everyone keeps on saying, defensemen takes some time to develop Do you honestly think that chara came out dominating when he was a rookie?

In addition, it is obvious that he is not ready for the role he is currently being forced to play in. I actually would bet that if he was being sheltered in minutes and was given a role that he could actually do right now, he wouldn't be as bad as he is now. I personally think he should be sent to bingo to develop more, but that is just me. To call him a bust right now though is just ludicrous imo.

Last edited:

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
As bad as he's been his stats are pretty good

28GP 78Hits, 44Blocked Shots, 3G

By the end if the season could have 240Hits, 140Blicked shots, 8-10G and he could be a + player on the defense

He was a + player a few games ago... so he can't be doing too bad. Unlike Spezza and Michalek who have been a Vortex of suck.

I really hope they keep Zibanejad and Michalek together, because Michalek actually looks to have speed when playing with the rookie.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

I bet he's a #2 in 2 seasons and Methot is playing in the second pairing if we still have him.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
IMO Cowen never should have been playing in Ottawa. He was rushed.

And we have a winner!

Finally someone that understands this. I never understood why Cowen was rushed so fast to the NHL when he barely played in the A whatsoever. Even Weircioch could have used 1 more year in the AHL.

I'm so dissapointed with Cowen honestly. He is looking like a bottom pairing defenceman with each passing game I watch him.

I'm even more dissapointed that Murray was never able too, or unwilling to pay the price to move up to get Ekman Larsson. Ugh.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lol @ Cowen being a bust.

When Cowen was recovering off a major surgery prior to the draft his stock fell huge and he was playing extremely poorly. Went from top 3 talks to top 10-15.

He regained his game after playing a lot and was a regular on our team played great top 4 minutes in the 2nd half of his rookie season.

Last year, he was men among boys in the AHL leading the play in both ends of the ice among players like Zibanejad/Silfverberg/Wiercioch who were all struggling early.

Cowen this year is coming off major surgery again and is trying to get back into the gist of things.

His speed, grit, reach, shot(when he ****ing uses it) are things that can't be taught and top notch.

That pass to Ryan showed glimpses of what Cowen could become. He is playing putrid hockey right now yet his stat lines are not allll that bad.

I'd give him some more time too, especially cause players in his position have proven to take longer in terms of development.

I'd only move Cowen for a piece that management think would be just as important to our future while taking into consideration ristk/reward factor of both Cowen and the acquisition.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Wouldnt want to move Cowen, but the way he is playing now I fail to see how he is helping the hockey team or himself. Doubtful you get an asset even as close as a guy like him will be once he adjusts better to NHL level competition.

It seems pretty clear he is losing confidence, nervous he is going to make the wrong play or read, then it ends up happening. It isnt pretty to watch, at all.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Lol @ Cowen being a bust.

When Cowen was recovering off a major surgery prior to the draft his stock fell huge and he was playing extremely poorly. Went from top 3 talks to top 10-15.

He regained his game after playing a lot and was a regular on our team played great top 4 minutes in the 2nd half of his rookie season.

Last year, he was men among boys in the AHL leading the play in both ends of the ice among players like Zibanejad/Silfverberg/Wiercioch who were all struggling early.

Cowen this year is coming off major surgery again and is trying to get back into the gist of things.

His speed, grit, reach, shot(when he ****ing uses it) are things that can't be taught and top notch.

That pass to Ryan showed glimpses of what Cowen could become. He is playing putrid hockey right now yet his stat lines are not allll that bad.

I'd give him some more time too, especially cause players in his position have proven to take longer in terms of development.

I'd only move Cowen for a piece that management think would be just as important to our future while taking into consideration ristk/reward factor of both Cowen and the acquisition.

He's played what, 120 games in the NHL?

Takes almost every player several season to become consistent in the NHL. Arguably more for defensemen.

The Fuhr*

Cowens contract was structured for growing pains... Teams only paying him 1.5 this season

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Well don't quit your day job cause I doubt you have a future in hockey!! Cowen missed almost all last year with a serious hip injury; that certainly would have an impact on his skating and development. The Sens brass know this and realize he probably needs this whole season to get back up to where he should be. The issue is that if they tried to send him down to get his game back some other team would grab him. So for now they have to put up with his recovery and the mistakes he makes. But no way is he a bust.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Is he a bust? Who knows...

My biggest concern right now, is what is going on between his ears. It feels watching his interactions during games this year that he doesn't seem to want to listen all that much. I'm starting to wonder just how long this has been going on.

It's not a coincidence when one guy gets tons of injuries and another guy can play most of his career injury-free. Yes, the style a guy plays does factor in....but so does a players' brain. Is he listening to his coaches, trainers, teammates, and doing what they say? Is he putting himself in situations to become injured because he isn't listening? Is he taking shortcuts?

I'm starting to wonder.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
He was a + player a few games ago... so he can't be doing too bad. Unlike Spezza and Michalek who have been a Vortex of suck.

I really hope they keep Zibanejad and Michalek together, because Michalek actually looks to have speed when playing with the rookie.

Oh come on! So after 2 games with Zbad Michalek is now flying around the ice like he did 2 seasons ago??? Or is it playing against other teams 3rd liners?? Frankly he has not played well all year and it isn't Spezza's fault.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Oh come on! So after 2 games with Zbad Michalek is now flying around the ice like he did 2 seasons ago??? Or is it playing against other teams 3rd liners?? Frankly he has not played well all year and it isn't Spezza's fault.

Michalek is currently playing for another contract. He's afraid of getting injured again.

He is cheating and doesn't skate full speed when getting closer to the boards.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Well don't quit your day job cause I doubt you have a future in hockey!! Cowen missed almost all last year with a serious hip injury; that certainly would have an impact on his skating and development. The Sens brass know this and realize he probably needs this whole season to get back up to where he should be. The issue is that if they tried to send him down to get his game back some other team would grab him. So for now they have to put up with his recovery and the mistakes he makes. But no way is he a bust.

Brennan reported "Bryan Murray was reminded by Panthers defenceman Ed Jovanovski how tough it is to come back from major hip surgery the other night, so he understands a little clearer what Jared Cowen is going through."

IMO most of the criticism of Cowen comes from fans that just choose to ignore the situation.

It will take time but he is getting better and there are glimpses of what he is capable of doing that are pretty special.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Three games that nobody on either team were even close to comparable.

The skill is there, he just takes time to completely heal mentally and physically from major surgery.

I'm willing to write this season off due to the injury, I just don't understand why he isn't regaining his NHL game at a lower level. He's not waiver eligible for another few games, so why not send him down to regain for? His contract is a sunk cost, and we are carrying an extra D anyways. If he can come back with confidence, we could see a different player.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I disagree.

He's clearly not an NHL player at the moment.

If you think that he's learned all that he can learn after 13 AHL games (10 of which were post season) then either a) you don't know what you are talking about, or b) Cowen is a complete bust, or c) both.

I agree with this, he's only 22. This is the kind of player you want to take all your time developing because if he can turn into a top 4, he will turn into a top 4 player opposing teams will hate playing against because of his size alone. The AHL should allow him to learn when to pick his moments to be physical and it will definitely improve on his defensive game.

And the people calling him a bust need to realize he's still only 22, I still think he has a fair shot to becoming a solid top 4D man...his game should be coming along soon though I'd imagine (at least I hope)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think people had unrealistic expectations of Cowen coming into the season.

People calling him a bust are really out to lunch, and are probably the same who would crown a call-up who scores 3 goals in 5 games a superstar.

He is an NHL player right now, easily. He is not a top 4 "Savior" yet.

Without Cowen we virtually have no PK, as Methot and Phillips are the only other guys who can really play the role on a nightly basis. Once Cowen realizes his boundaries and focuses on his strengths (Cut the Pinches, cute passes, etc/Mean, defensive, hard low point shots) he will slot into the top 4 nicely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad