Cowen

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
You should shelter offensive players so as to leverage their minutes and have them in a position to score more or shelter bad players because you have no other options than to give them some minutes and hope they don't completely kill your chances of winning. They should not be sheltering Cowen.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Jared Cowen has delusions of grandeur.

He's played 121 games in this league, equal to a season and a half of play.

We watched him pout and whine about playing in Bingo while still on an entry level. He thought he was above the minors. We watched him hold out of training camp; he thought he was worth more than every Senators defenseman not named Karlsson.

And today, his comments in regards to his two game suspension paint a picture of a player who believes he's a cagey veteran.

He says he's made 'a lot of hits in this league', which in itself is an accurate statement. But he goes on to say that 'one out of a thousand', or 0.1 percent of his hits are questionable, when two in a month have been scrutinized league-wide as risky headshots. Not to mention, he's officially logged 335 hits in his career, not a thousand.

He then was adamant that he wouldn't go back and change anything about that play. I get that he can't change his style of play, for sure. But Jared, you aren't doing yourself any favours exaggerating about your exploits in the NHL, and subsequently speaking out about a (no-brainer) decision from player safety after you've recently been let off the hook.

Shut your mouth, sit in the box for two, and come back skating the way you were prior to the suspension. Don't brag about your career and blame the league; you are nowhere near established enough in this league to run your mouth.

John Holmes*

He needs to play on the line like that to be effective.

Chris Pronger never won any Mr. nice guy awards.

If Cowen starts playing like he is afraid to hit, or get suspended, he's basically Gryba.

Gothenburg 40*

We watched him pout and whine about playing in Bingo while still on an entry level. He thought he was above the minors. We watched him hold out of training camp; he thought he was worth more than every Senators defenseman not named Karlsson.

And today, his comments in regards to his two game suspension paint a picture of a player who believes he's a cagey veteran.

He says he's made 'a lot of hits in this league', which in itself is an accurate statement. But he goes on to say that 'one out of a thousand', or 0.1 percent of his hits are questionable, when two in a month have been scrutinized league-wide as risky headshots. Not to mention, he's officially logged 335 hits in his career, not a thousand.

He then was adamant that he wouldn't go back and change anything about that play. I get that he can't change his style of play, for sure. But Jared, you aren't doing yourself any favours exaggerating about your exploits in the NHL, and subsequently speaking out about a (no-brainer) decision from player safety after you've recently been let off the hook.

Shut your mouth, sit in the box for two, and come back skating the way you were prior to the suspension. Don't brag about your career and blame the league; you are nowhere near established enough in this league to run your mouth.

Word.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Would you rather he say, "well, I can't make a hit like that anymore, I guess I will have to stop hitting people on plays like that from now on. I can't hit people for the off-chance I make head contact on an malicious less hit"?

He has to make those hits every time he gets a chance.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Would you rather he say, "well, I can't make a hit like that anymore, I guess I will have to stop hitting people on plays like that from now on. I can't hit people for the off-chance I make head contact on an malicious less hit"?

He has to make those hits every time he gets a chance.

Let us first establish that it was a pure shot to the head.

With that in mind, I'd prefer to hear a 'no comment'. Or a dose of humility and honesty.

If Cowen was on Buffalo and delivered that hit to one of ours, and, when asked about the hit and suspension, was less than apologetic, and in fact critical of the judiciary process and the victim, I'd be pissed as a Senators fan.

He comes off horribly between the headshot and the words that came out of his mouth. I'm getting pretty sick of this Jared Cowen sideshow.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Please provide some background for this paragraph. I've never heard anything about him complaining about playing in Binghamton during the lock out.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think Tigrou is right on this one.

I remember something about him saying how much his situation sucked last year due to his injury. He had to be put on IR which in turn kept him in the AHL on paper resulting in an AHL salary all year. Personally, I didn't have any issue with that. That really was an unfortunate situation. That was literally a life time of wages lost to any of us.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I remember something about him saying how much his situation sucked last year due to his injury. He had to be put on IR which in turn kept him in the AHL on paper resulting in an AHL salary all year. Personally, I didn't have any issue with that. That really was an unfortunate situation. That was literally a life time of wages lost to any of us.

How much money would you make if you were part of the top 500 worldwide in your field?

But yea, those comments are scaring me a bit. Is he going to ask for the key of the bank at the end of his contract?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Chara with the Isles wasn't noticeably bad like Cowen has been.

As I recall, Chara was brought along rather slowly by the Islanders. I also recall hearing that Chara needed to improve his skating (?) when he entered the league.

John Holmes*

As good as it is to see Cowen showing signs of life, it's not like he didn't just play a terrible 30 games.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Yeah hockey players should just play for the crest on the front and the passion of fans!>!!>! How dare he say he wanted to make more money! Give it a rest my god. Alfie left for 2 million and he was a god in this city, get over it. Hockey players play for money, if they lose out on money they are angry, I don't blame him. He was not happy so he played harder to earn more money.

i like him lately. Really playing angry and a little dirty. Pronger was very effective and made several dirty plays and had dirty moments in a game.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
How much money would you make if you were part of the top 500 worldwide in your field?

But yea, those comments are scaring me a bit. Is he going to ask for the key of the bank at the end of his contract?

Seems like you're making a mountain out of a molehill. It was just an honest answer he gave (much like his comments regarding the hit). He got screwed over because of a severe injury. It wasn't really anyone's fault (Besides greed on both sides of the union and owners), it was a bs technicality that screwed him out of about a million dollars. If he was injured during the NHL training camp for example, he would have received the full benefits and salary of a NHL player, which he was at the time.

It's amusing that people that people are taking such exception with his answers. After all the bemoaning over rehearsed and robotic interviews, we get a guy who's more blunt and honest and he gets crapped on as well. :laugh:

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Seems like you're making a mountain out of a molehill. It was just an honest answer he gave (much like his comments regarding the hit). He got screwed over because of a severe injury. It wasn't really anyone's fault (Besides greed on both sides of the union and owners), it was a bs technicality that screwed him out of about a million dollars. If he was injured during the NHL training camp for example, he would have received the full benefits and salary of a NHL player, which he was at the time.

It's amusing that people that people are taking such exception with his answers. After all the bemoaning over rehearsed and robotic interviews, we get a guy who's more blunt and honest and he gets crapped on as well. :laugh:

agreed. Its a business and he wanted to make more money. People need to relax.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010

I take no issue with him being disappointed over lost wages.

My issue was that in a lockout year, while coming off of a rookie season and signed to an entry level deal, he virtually refused to play in Binghamton in the first place, despite management pleading with him to do so.

It allegedly took a phone call from Spezza, who went through a similar ordeal in the 04/05 lockout, to convince Cowen to show up in Binghamton.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I take no issue with him being disappointed over lost wages.

My issue was that in a lockout year, while coming off of a rookie season and signed to an entry level deal, he virtually refused to play in Binghamton in the first place, despite management pleading with him to do so.

It allegedly took a phone call from Spezza, who went through a similar ordeal in the 04/05 lockout, to convince Cowen to show up in Binghamton.

What are the circumstances of this though? Did he have offers on the table to play in Europe or did he plan on just sitting at home until the dispute was resolved? Makes a big difference. Obviously he didn't refuse, considering he was there.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
What are the circumstances of this though? Did he have offers on the table to play in Europe or did he plan on just sitting at home until the dispute was resolved? Makes a big difference. Obviously he didn't refuse, considering he was there.

That's all the anecdotal evidence I have; not sure about his other options, but given that he was on a 2 way, would it be fair to assume that he was under contract with Binghamton, and that he wouldn't have been a 'free agent'?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
That's all the anecdotal evidence I have; not sure about his other options, but given that he was on a 2 way, would it be fair to assume that he was under contract with Binghamton, and that he wouldn't have been a 'free agent'?

I don't think that's how that works. The owners locked the players out of their jobs. Cowen was not contractually obligated to Binghamton which is an affiliate. Players like Seguin were on 2 ways and playing in Europe.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Cowen had the option of playing in the AHL during the lockout and chose to do so. I imagine Murray and company were plenty fine with it considering Richardson would be keeping an eye on Cowen and his development. I wouldn't be surprised if they straight up told him to report either. Cowen went and got injured for the season, meaning once the NHL started up again he was still technically an injured AHLer and thus would be paid AHL money for the duration of his injury. The Senators chose to take advantage of this technicality and Cowen didn't appreciate it. I can't really blame either party.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad