Cowen

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
When the defense IQ clicks he will instantly be a beast... That's the dangerous thing about trading players with such physical gifts.

Cowen could quickly become one of the most imposing blueliners in the game when/if the defense IQ kicks in.
Agree 100%.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Chara with the Isles wasn't noticeably bad like Cowen has been.

Are you sure about that? Was he playing top 4 minutes? I am trying to jog my memory. He was a goon, that's what I remember.

Cowen is not good enough (yet) to be playing so many minutes. He should be learning the game as a 5th defenceman. Not only is this team's glaring need for a top 4 D-man ruining the season, it may ruin Cowen.

John Holmes*

Are you sure about that? Was he playing top 4 minutes? I am trying to jog my memory. He was a goon, that's what I remember.

Cowen is not good enough (yet) to be playing so many minutes. He should be learning the game as a 5th defenceman. Not only is this team's glaring need for a top 4 D-man ruining the season, it may ruin Cowen.

Well, the last time I saw Chara play with the Islanders, he didn't stand out at all, other than being a head taller than everyone else on the ice.

I didn't watch every Islanders game, granted, but the few times I saw him 14 years ago, all I noticed is that he was remarkably agile for a man his size.

Cowen has a way to go to just be "serviceable".

He flat out sucks right now.

I find it odd that the team is so concerned with Zibanejad and Pageau's "development" that one was cut in training camp, and the other has since been sent down, yet Cowen, who has struggled terribly all season long, and is screaming for AHL time, isn't getting it.

I don't think this is about missing camp, or his injuries.

Even Roy Halladay got sent back to A ball after some big league time to get his game together. He turned it around and became the Cy Young caliber Pitcher everyone thought he could be.

Maybe Cowen isn't a write off yet, but keeping him up in the NHL doesn't seem to be the right move to me.

It's not helping. He's not getting any better. He's not playing his way out of it.

He is a train wreck.

John Holmes*

I don't know...he looked pretty good when he first came back last season.

He just needs to learn how to think the game at this level.

If we know that D take longer to develop, and the Euge is already paying JOB NHL money to play in Bingo...what's the problem? Send him down. Let Richardson work with him.

Who is better than Luke Richardson to straighten out a young D man.

I guess it just makes too much sense, or somebody doesn't want to look like an idiot for signing Cowen to a contract he isn't worth.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Cowen would look 100% better if Ottawa could clear the puck and exit the zone - but that being said he can't really handle speed coming from any direction.

I'm still a believer but when you see the list of high picked Defensive Dman who have not reached their potential it's worries you- Schenn, Gudbranson, Tuebert, Bogosian, Johnson(!), - but then guys like Alzner, Jack Johnson, M. Stall are playing huge minutes and leading their teams - I guess this tells us Cowen is 2-3 years away from being a reliable 20+ minute a night Dman and we have to live with these struggles until he figures it out.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Well, the last time I saw Chara play with the Islanders, he didn't stand out at all, other than being a head taller than everyone else on the ice.

I didn't watch every Islanders game, granted, but the few times I saw him 14 years ago, all I noticed is that he was remarkably agile for a man his size.

Cowen has a way to go to just be "serviceable".

He flat out sucks right now.

I find it odd that the team is so concerned with Zibanejad and Pageau's "development" that one was cut in training camp, and the other has since been sent down, yet Cowen, who has struggled terribly all season long, and is screaming for AHL time, isn't getting it.

I don't think this is about missing camp, or his injuries.

Even Roy Halladay got sent back to A ball after some big league time to get his game together. He turned it around and became the Cy Young caliber Pitcher everyone thought he could be.

Maybe Cowen isn't a write off yet, but keeping him up in the NHL doesn't seem to be the right move to me.

It's not helping. He's not getting any better. He's not playing his way out of it.

He is a train wreck.

Cowen has nothing left to learn at the AHL level. He needs to get experience at the NHL level. It would help if the team could win a few games and give the guys who are under the heaviest scrutiny some relief from criticism. That's the biggest problem with the team right now. They're under the microscope and everyone is feeling it. I trust MacLean and his staff to turn it around though. Too much coaching experience to let this continue.

John Holmes*

Cowen has nothing left to learn at the AHL level. He needs to get experience at the NHL level. It would help if the team could win a few games and give the guys who are under the heaviest scrutiny some relief from criticism. That's the biggest problem with the team right now. They're under the microscope and everyone is feeling it. I trust MacLean and his staff to turn it around though. Too much coaching experience to let this continue.

I disagree.

He's clearly not an NHL player at the moment.

If you think that he's learned all that he can learn after 13 AHL games (10 of which were post season) then either a) you don't know what you are talking about, or b) Cowen is a complete bust, or c) both.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I disagree.

If you think that he's learned all that he can learn after 13 AHL games (10 of which were post season) then either a) you don't know what you are talking about, or b) Cowen is a complete bust, or c) both.

Yeah I have to agree with that. He did apparently play well in Bingo, but he's really struggling right now and is too important of a prospect to not do everything they can to try and help him develop properly.

I still think he can get better but I have no idea why they aren't sending him down while he's still waiver exempt to get a bit of help from Richardson and his staff.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
Yeah I have to agree with that. He did apparently play well in Bingo, but he's really struggling right now and is too important of a prospect to not do everything they can to try and help him develop properly.

I still think he can get better but I have no idea why they aren't sending him down while he's still waiver exempt to get a bit of help from Richardson and his staff.

Would not be a bad idea if he stays benched they can call it a conditioning stint. Call up boro and he and gryba can switch in and out. I actually like this idea a lot and of its a small time frame say 2-3 weeks it doesn't really effect he budget that much.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I disagree.

Oh right I forgot that you're opinion is always better than everyone else's. Explains why I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'll defer to you and the multitudes of coaching and player development gurus who grace us with their presence on these boards for your and their infinite wisdom on all matters related to Jared Cowen.

Tell me then why he needs time in the AHL? What part of his game is lacking right now and stands to benefit from going down and playing against far inferior opposition?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't know...he looked pretty good when he first came back last season.

He just needs to learn how to think the game at this level.

If we know that D take longer to develop, and the Euge is already paying JOB NHL money to play in Bingo...what's the problem? Send him down. Let Richardson work with him.

Who is better than Luke Richardson to straighten out a young D man.

I guess it just makes too much sense, or somebody doesn't want to look like an idiot for signing Cowen to a contract he isn't worth.

The thing is that there are a lot of players that can come up and 'look pretty good' in the NHL, but if they aren't put in a position to really learn and excel while gaining confidence it can stifle their development (IMO). Cowen should have had a season or two in the AHL to work with some of the coaches there and maybe some veteran experience to shore up his game before moving in and being sheltered in the NHL.

You see it a lot...generally speaking I think most prospects have had success being brought along slowly and allowed to really dominate or excel at previous levels first. The players that skip that stage are few and far between.

John Holmes*

Oh right I forgot that you're opinion is always better than everyone else's. Explains why I don't know what I'm talking about.

So your opinion is that 3 AHL games last season, plus 10 AHL playoff games the season before, is "enough" AHL time for Cowen. He must be a genius on skates to learn all that he can learn in 13 games.

However, it's quite clear to me, and to anyone brighter than a 2 watt bulb, that Cowen is no Norman Einstein.

I'll defer to you and the multitudes of coaching and player development gurus who grace us with their presence on these boards for your and their infinite wisdom on all matters related to Jared Cowen.

I do appreciate the kind words. Perhaps you missed that Cowen was made a healthy scratch by the actual coach of the Ottawa Senators a few games ago? Perhaps you also missed that he was announced as a scratch last game, but was needed due to Methot being unavailable?

Tell me then why he needs time in the AHL? What part of his game is lacking right now and stands to benefit from going down and playing against far inferior opposition?

Have you watched any games this year?

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
He may sit a game here and there but do you think he really will get sent south to Bingo. That is about a likely as anyone on here getting accused of being a great hockey mind(other than in our own minds). That would make the Murrays admit failure and that is never going to happen. He will play all year, will not be traded, and the fans may keep *****ing but the financial commitment has been made. Live with it.

John Holmes*

I don't see how that makes any sense at all.

Yes, the financial commitment has been made. He's getting paid no matter where he plays.

So I suppose it boils down to this.

The Ottawa Senators will allow Cowen to struggle at the NHL level so the GM can save face, or they'll eat their sandwich and send him to the AHL and pray that Richardson can save his career.

Mistakes happen. I can't believe that Cowen won't be demoted while he is eligible.

They need to do something with the guy.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
I don't see how that makes any sense at all.

Yes, the financial commitment has been made. He's getting paid no matter where he plays.

So I suppose it boils down to this.

The Ottawa Senators will allow Cowen to struggle at the NHL level so the GM can save face, or they'll eat their sandwich and send him to the AHL and pray that Richardson can save his career.

Mistakes happen. I can't believe that Cowen won't be demoted while he is eligible.

They need to do something with the guy.

i agree. he is too valuable to not help him get his confidence back. sit him in the ahl he can dominate for a while down there get tutiledge from an amazing dman in his own right richardson and come back up better and more cnfident

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
he showed too much in his debut 2 years ago to suck this badly now.
he'll get it back - its just going to take a little time.

there was more than a few nights prior to last year where he was flat out dominant.
his confidence and quick decision making are simply non-existent right now.

We have to hang tough with him, he'll get through it.
Not sure if sending him to Bingo is a good or bad idea. in general i think its a good idea in that he can play 25 minutes a night in every situation and not worry.
however not all players are mentally the same, nor do they respond well to the same types of things (rightly or wrongly it almost doesnt matter, what matters is the most effective way for that individual)

Maybe he doesnt handle that aspect especially well, or perhaps the structure is not the same in an AHL environment during games and he really does learn more at this point against NHL speed etc.
our problem is that we cant exactly afford at this point to play him 25 minutes a night and hope for the best...

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
he showed too much in his debut 2 years ago to suck this badly now.
he'll get it back - its just going to take a little time.

there was more than a few nights prior to last year where he was flat out dominant.
his confidence and quick decision making are simply non-existent right now.

We have to hang tough with him, he'll get through it.
Not sure if sending him to Bingo is a good or bad idea. in general i think its a good idea in that he can play 25 minutes a night in every situation and not worry.
however not all players are mentally the same, nor do they respond well to the same types of things (rightly or wrongly it almost doesnt matter, what matters is the most effective way for that individual)

Maybe he doesnt handle that aspect especially well, or perhaps the structure is not the same in an AHL environment during games and he really does learn more at this point against NHL speed etc.
our problem is that we cant exactly afford at this point to play him 25 minutes a night and hope for the best...

I agree, he gets all the time in the world to get it back. he showed too much, from the very beginning, that he is going to be a player. he looked like Chara's offspring at times. He will be good one day and while I was pissed as all hell about the holdout, and still am, I have to say that he will be worth it at some point.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Cowen's problem begins and ends with the idea that he's a puck moving defenceman.

As of right now, he is not a puck moving defenceman, but rather a puck losing defenceman. I don't think there is an inferior NHLer on the breakout today than Jared Cowen. He either stretch passes to the other team, ices it, or hangs on to the puck for 20 seconds behind his net only to pass a half step behind the forward who isn't in stride.

This happens even when Karlsson is his partner. He ignores EK and forces his own play. That alone is grounds for demotion.

Give him some Richardson time while there's still a chance. Call up Claesson to reward his responsible playing style. Bring Cowen back up in January, and re-assess.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Makes me wonder if this defence wouldn't be better if PM were to place a PMD with a defensive defenceman instead of putting two defensive defencemen together. And a veteran with a young guy to help them out. IMO Phillips is the problem on defence for this team with all his give aways & mental mistakes. Next yr Boro hopefully replaces Phillips on the roster & Ceci replaces Corvo, we'll see.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Corvo
Wiercioch - Phillips/Gryba

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Makes me wonder if this defence wouldn't be better if PM were to place a PMD with a defensive defenceman instead of putting two defensive defencemen together. And a veteran with a young guy to help them out. IMO Phillips is the problem on defence for this team with all his give aways & mental mistakes. Next yr Boro hopefully replaces Phillips on the roster & Ceci replaces Corvo, we'll see.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Corvo
Wiercioch - Phillips/Gryba

I think this is what should be done. I think that Cowen and Phillips can rotate in and out until one of them gets their out of their ass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->