Cowen

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I think Phillips has been plugged into Gonchar's old role. Even in his prime, Phillips was a very different D than Gonchar. But when you look down the bench and see Gryba and Borocop sitting there as your next best PP options, all of a sudden Phillips looks pretty good.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I think Phillips has been plugged into Gonchar's old role. Even in his prime, Phillips was a very different D than Gonchar. But when you look down the bench and see Gryba and Borocop sitting there as your next best PP options, all of a sudden Phillips looks pretty good.

If Corvo and Wier are in the lineup we just need one more guy playing point. I thought Turris was doing well there.

corksens

Jul 19, 2005
He's absolutely terrible.

If he was anything less than a high first round pick that people held high expectations for we'd be all be clamoring for him to be sent down.

Cowen is not skilled enough to make the right play fast enough. As a result he panics and makes the wrong play or flubs the puck and pressure is sustained. We saw it last night countless times.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
do you guys think cowen is a bust?

honest question, im not sure on the answer.

It's hard to tell.

It could be chalked up to missing an entire season with injury and holding out on his contract which forced him to miss training camp. Training camp is fairly instrumental for players finding their timing. Considering the time he's missed it was almost a necessity that he be at camp. Doughty had a terrible first half of the season when he held out a few years ago.

But this is just me giving him the benefit of the doubt. He could be a bust or he could need more time to develop.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Cowen desperately needs to be sheltered on the bottom pairing with a veteran as his partner.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Can anyone answer me this. How did chara look when he was cowens age? Does anyone remember?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

not yet obviously.
not sure what they were expecting though, he has always had issues with quickness and puck handling. just like ceci has always had issues with decision making and physical play. they're not perfect players.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
Can anyone answer me this. How did chara look when he was cowens age? Does anyone remember?

Not good. Seabrook looked good though. Not all big players or any size player progress or decline equal. Hopefully he gets better sooner then later, although from all accounts he dominated the A for the few games he played , may be good for his confidence. Worked well for zibby.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Not good. Seabrook looked good though. Not all big players or any size player progress or decline equal. Hopefully he gets better sooner then later, although from all accounts he dominated the A for the few games he played , may be good for his confidence. Worked well for zibby.

Thanks. I am hoping cowen gets better as well.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010

No. He's played 116 games so far in his career and is going through a bad sophomore slump.

Ideally, defenceman don't break into the league until 22. Cowen started at age 20, and could use a little time in the minors. I'll give him to the end of the season at very least before passing judgment, probably a little into next season as well.

The Fuhr*

When the defense IQ clicks he will instantly be a beast... That's the dangerous thing about trading players with such physical gifts.

Cowen could quickly become one of the most imposing blueliners in the game when/if the defense IQ kicks in.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
When the defense IQ clicks he will instantly be a beast... That's the dangerous thing about trading players with such physical gifts.

Cowen could quickly become one of the most imposing blueliners in the game when/if the defense IQ kicks in.

Defence IQ isn't something that "just clicks." I'm not saying he can't improve it, but he has never shown any decision making promise.

The Fuhr*

Defence IQ isn't something that "just clicks." I'm not saying he can't improve it, but he has never shown any decision making promise.

Of course it is... why a D's prime is not till 28-33... usually takes a young D 200 games to adjust at the NHL level

Look at guys like Phillips, Regeher, Smid, Chara, etc where they were at 100 games in and where they were at 200 games in and it's like night and day. It's how it is with defensemen.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Of course it is... why a D's prime is not till 28-33... usually takes a young D 200 games to adjust at the NHL level

Look at guys like Phillips, Regeher, Smid, Chara, etc where they were at 100 games in and where they were at 200 games in and it's like night and day. It's how it is with defensemen.

Awesome, so we have 5-6 more seasons to wait until he isn't terrible. They'll pay him $3 1/2 million a season to stink, and then he'll suddenly become good just in time for a $6+ million a year contract. What excellent value!

The Fuhr*

Awesome, so we have 5-6 more seasons to wait until he isn't terrible. They'll pay him $3 1/2 million a season to stink, and then he'll suddenly become good just in time for a $6+ million a year contract. What excellent value!

He makes 1.5 this season
Year 2, 2.7
Year 3, 3.7
Year 4, 4.5

He looks like a 1.5 million dollar defenseman out there.

Team structured his contract to follow his development

exv91

Oct 13, 2011
Cowen is not a bust, D is one of the hardest positions at the NHL level, and he has promise, not based on his play of late mind you, but I think he will one day come into his own. Once that happens I think his upside will be well worth it. Same with Gryba, but I can't say the same for Phillips and Corvo.

John Holmes*

Chara with the Isles wasn't noticeably bad like Cowen has been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad