Cowen

RedSeven*

The kid has been brutal all year. His #'s don't reflect how bad he has been because he has been bailed out so much but honestly, i'd be down to move him if we could get a younger winger JVR/Schenn style trade.

The Big Mac talks about accountability. That is BS. If he wants to talk about accountability, bench or sit cowen.

Big Mac is a terrible x's and o's coach. Great motivator but if it wasn't for insane statistical goal tending last year he wins absolutely nothing.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
I thought this would be Cowen Depreciation thread. Seriously though, he made some good plays in the third period

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Cowen had an okay game. Truth be told i thought he was playing really safe today. Who would you rather have Cowen or Gudbranson after watching todays game? Young dmen take time to develop. We have to be patient and imo he' been improving.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Him on the 5on3 pk was awesome. Getting better and it's nice to see.

Definitely agreed.

So far this year he has been brutal in the defensive zone, but something definitely clicked today. Maybe it's just a matter of confidence, or getting his timing back.

I still wonder about his hockey IQ, but just when you think the kid might be a dud, he puts together a really nice game. They say you have to be patient with young defensemen as it takes longer to develop, and his injuries compounded that quite a bit.

It is really hard to be patient, especially when you see some other young D in the league do so well so young, but if this kid pans out and we end up with a Pronger-lite.....holy hell! That would be so amazing!

It definitely looked today like he's on the right track. It's taking awhile, but maybe, just maybe he's starting to turn that corner.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I find this thread oddly timed. He's been getting better since moving up to play with Karlsson. Probably his best 3 games have been our last 3 wins.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
I find this thread oddly timed. He's been getting better since moving up to play with Karlsson. Probably his best 3 games have been our last 3 wins.

I've read this a few times, but I really don't see it. He got noticeable walked twice in the Montreal game and was saved by Lehner, and continues to play 2-on-1s very poorly. He was no help to Karlsson after his giveaway that lead to the first goal today. He's been getting luckier in that his mistakes haven't been leading to as many goals, but he's playing badly.

This is why you don't hold out a miss training camp after missing nearly an entire season with an injury the year before.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He's a young guy learning a difficult position with a partner who at the moment is a give away machine. IMO you don't give away a 6'5" defenceman with his skill set, it would be great if he played with Borocop's edge but it would be great if they all did. Cowen has the potential to be a great defenceman for this organization, he's a keeper for sure, it would be a stupid move to trade him on almost the same level as letting Chara go. :yo:

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I hated his play (non-play?) on the first goal but I can most certainly see the forest through the trees...even if the trees are big and have breasts.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
MacLean also said he had a great game today.

Yah but what does MacLean know :sarcasm:

Cowen played well today, very well in fact.

On the Karlsson giveaway he moved to the front to take away the potential pass and the Florida forward snuck one past Lehner. It is easy for all the backseat D-men to say what they would have done, but had Cowen challenged and the puck ended up in the back of the net the blame team would have pointed the finger at Cowen anyway.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
He's a young guy learning a difficult position with a partner who at the moment is a give away machine. IMO you don't give away a 6'5" defenceman with his skill set, it would be great if he played with Borocop's edge but it would be great if they all did. Cowen has the potential to be a great defenceman for this organization, he's a keeper for sure, it would be a stupid move to trade him on almost the same level as letting Chara go. :yo:

If Cowen played with Boro's edge he would be in the penalty box all night!

Interestly Boro spent lots of minutes in the AHL sitting in the box playing the way he is now, hopefully AHL and NHL refs don't compare notes.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
On the Karlsson giveaway he moved to the front to take away the potential pass and the Florida forward snuck one past Lehner. It is easy for all the backseat D-men to say what they would have done, but had Cowen challenged and the puck ended up in the back of the net .

This is were he should have challenged with his big body in front of the net, but didn't!

Other than that, He had a better game Today than in the past!

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Would be a great way to look like a competent GM.

Sign promising young player, give up after a month of underperformance. If he had the confidence to sign the player to the contract, he should have the confidence to wait as Cowen gets back and develops.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
This is were he should have challenged with his big body in front of the net, but didn't!

IMO you are wrong, the forwards were caught leaving the zone on the misplay by Karlsson. Cowen had two Panthers to worry about, he took away the pass and left Lehner to deal with the shooter on the short side.

9 out of 10 times no goal is scored when played as Cowen played it.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

He was pretty much screwed on the play no matter what. If you look at the replay you'll see 3 forwards back in the zone and in the frame but none of them in position to defend. Leaves 3 guys for Karlsson and Cowen to cover on the goal mouth. If he steps up on the play it's 2 guys alone in front of Lehner. Honestly, he probably made the less risky and correct play here.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Well we agree to disagree!

He was standing right there, and his choices were to watch the guys beside him or challenge the puck carrier, and he just stood there and watched instead of using his body in front of the net!

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I went 2 weeks without playing because of a minor groin injury. It's shocking how quickly you can lose timing/feel/rhythm- call it what you will. I'm playing beer league hockey.

How much time did Cowen miss?

He'll serve the crow before too long.

neutral zone trap13

Dec 15, 2009
Ottawa
We should hold onto Cowen. Dmen with his combination of size/speed/skill are not easy to find. All he needs is to get smarter and then he will be a beast, not worth giving up on him unless Murray has an offer he can't refuse (although that goes for everyone).

Mark Effin Stone

I miss Kuba
May 10, 2010
Stockholm
patience-yoda.jpg

He'll turn it around! :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad