Cowen

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Would you rather he say, "well, I can't make a hit like that anymore, I guess I will have to stop hitting people on plays like that from now on. I can't hit people for the off-chance I make head contact on an malicious less hit"?

He has to make those hits every time he gets a chance.

The point is, its not isolated he clearly has an attitude problem. Or he is just plain stupid, I think its both. He doesn't seem to be very in touch with reality or the concept of actually earning ice time or a contract. What has he done that has made him so special?

This inability to adjust or have the awareness that maybe he has to play to the media or 'change' his game just to quiet critics is scary. But it makes sense, he makes the same stupid mistakes over and over again on the ice. Which is worrisome because he sounds stubborn and arrogant, a player like this wont make the adjustments to improve. Or even realize that he is making mistakes in the first place.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The point is, its not isolated he clearly has an attitude problem. Or he is just plain stupid, I think its both. He doesn't seem to be very in touch with reality or the concept of actually earning ice time or a contract. What has he done that has made him so special?

This inability to adjust or have the awareness that maybe he has to play to the media or 'change' his game just to quiet critics is scary. But it makes sense, he makes the same stupid mistakes over and over again on the ice. Which is worrisome because he sounds stubborn and arrogant, a player like this wont make the adjustments to improve. Or even realize that he is making mistakes in the first place.

Weird, I thought that he's been pretty darn good the last several games. I guess we see what we want to see...

King City Warrior

Aug 13, 2008
Weird, I thought that he's been pretty darn good the last several games. I guess we see what we want to see...

He's been playing great for a while now. and actually they really missed him big time against buffalo, that's why we looked the keystone cops in our own end. As for getting a serious injury and not getting paid his nhl wages, that would make anyone angry.

Cowen really should have mentioned how he has to take it one game at a time and play a full sixty minutes.

I also don't have a problem with what he said, versus the cliche bs

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

When has Cowen ever said anything even remotely close to what he said, which is what I have been discussing?

In order for Cowen to be successful, he has to play the way he has been playing. People are making him seem like Matt Cooke, running around with blatent head-shots and boarding majors. Cowen is a Punishing Defense-man. If Cowen doesn't step up there, the board would be all over him for how he isn't playing physical.

There really is no wining...

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Bert is just a Cowen biased hater, I don't even read what he says about him anymore, there's just no point.

One thing you can be sure about popularity (and making good money), is that you will always have fans... and haters

This is some kind of human being social behaviour

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Cowen has been playing amaze balls lately. Hopefully he doesn't change his style at all and stays sharp. Sucks for him to be suspended for a nothing hit really but I guess if the NHL shows some consistency it would be now and give Clarksson 2 games.a

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Cowen has been playing amaze balls lately. Hopefully he doesn't change his style at all and stays sharp. Sucks for him to be suspended for a nothing hit really but I guess if the NHL shows some consistency it would be now and give Clarksson 2 games.a

NHL is just cracking down on hits to the head, so while it wasn't intentional I understand the suspension. With the consussion lawsuits going on the NHL is doing its best to cover its ass and I suspect Cowen will have a couple more suspensions like this over his career.

Clarkson will probably get the same.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Bert is just a Cowen biased hater, I don't even read what he says about him anymore, there's just no point.

One thing you can be sure about popularity (and making good money), is that you will always have fans... and haters

This is some kind of human being social behaviour

Yup, I suppose we all have our roles on here

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Where are you guys getting all these attitude problems and ****? Because he held out for a contract? How do you know that wasn't orchestrated by his agent...And can you really blame him? He took a gamble but he set his family and self up for life.

If I thought I could set myself up for life and have a secured future I would pull the same move 100x over as would almost everyone here.

I've also met Jared a couple times, mostly in his junior days but he always gave the impression of a very nice and humble guy. In fact that has always been a complaint against him; not playing mean enough.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Where are you guys getting all these attitude problems and ****? Because he held out for a contract? How do you know that wasn't orchestrated by his agent...And can you really blame him? He took a gamble but he set his family and self up for life.

If I thought I could set myself up for life and have a secured future I would pull the same move 100x over as would almost everyone here.

I've also met Jared a couple times, mostly in his junior days but he always gave the impression of a very nice and humble guy. In fact that has always been a complaint against him; not playing mean enough.

Exactly. :handclap:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We need a statement game from him

"hey fools, look at that, I'm back to form"

Some around here KNOW what he is capable of, those who have followed him in junior, his second WJC and the AHL, as well as his NHL rookie season. We saw him trending upwards very fast, but unfortunately injuries slowed him down

Last year before injury, he looked like a beast in Bingo on the verge of reaching another level, particularly offensively.

Missing a full season (ask many players) and missing a training camp (ask Kuba and Doughty for example) makes it very hard to come back in game shape. There's just not a lot of "room" for not being at 100% in the NHL, too much parity, too much competition from ALL AROUND THE WORLD.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008

I met cowen last year at St. Louis on Elgin. If he wasn't the size of a house you'd never guess he was a pro athlete. Very nice guy, humble and genuine.

At this point those of you saying he's got a bad attitude, is stupid and a cancer in the dressing room are bordering on slander. Grow up and realize that this is a business. He's coming off a serious injury and starting to turn the corner. We should all hope he becomes the dman we know he can be

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
PIcked up where he left off. Decisive in what he wants to do with and without the puck, punished, skated well and seems to have another gear because I think he has his confidence back.

Bodes well for the team! And I like him with Karlsson too...

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Cowen: The Return?

It appears the lights have switched back on, or he's getting past the injuries. either way, woohooo!

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Better performance. Blew it on the second goal, mind you, but overall he wasn't screwing with the breakout like he had been during October and November.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Better performance. Blew it on the second goal, mind you, but overall he wasn't screwing with the breakout like he had been during October and November.

Overall he was very good...he stepped on a stick on the 2nd . His breakouts were excellent all need get.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Dude was amazing tonight and for the last few games. He helped shutdown a player who has 30 goals so far this year.

Gotta give credit where its due, Cowen has been fantastic the last 10 games or so. Keep it up big fella

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
My bad, he had a hard time when I changed my username. Big fan and it has been tough to see him go through another injury and miss so much time. Missing the camp when coming back is brutal, and it showed in his early play. He is rounding into form and unless kept down with injuries I still fully expect him to be a dominant top d-man in the NHL within a few years.

Have to remember he is very young and is expected to play a mature tough game. Chara was 2 years older at 24 years old when included as a throw in as part of the Yashin trade.

jg729

Oct 25, 2011
Toronto
Didn't watch the game tonight, only saw highlights.

Cowen did make a bad play on the 2-on-1 where he went to the puck and basically gave up a break away on Andy.

Also Cowen played the 2-on-1 pretty bad on the 3rd goal of the 5-0 loss to Boston last week, giving Marchant a free one-timer goal.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You don't trade a 6'5" defenceman in his 2nd yr who plays with a mean streak, Cowen is the kind of player Ottawa needs more of. Ottawa should also get rid of Corvo & let Gryba play the right side on the 3rd pairing & make him play with more edge. Ceci has made Corvo expendable just as I said he would at some point this season, just sooner than I thought. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad