Cowen

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
lol why "get rid of Corvo"?

The guy make sonly 900 000$ and is gone at the end of the year. Provides some experience and mobility with an ability to put up points. Perfect 7th D-man at this point. Gryba is the other perfect 7th D-man, physical shutdown type. PM must be happy, can use one of them whenever he wants.

That being said, Cowen is a total beast. Yes, he will make some mistakes like every other NHL player but since he started to play more aggressive and with less hesitation, you can see him slowly but surely getting back to be the beast he is suppose to become. Ice in his veins. The guy is a winner and this fanbase doesn't even deserve him

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Cowen was very key in shutting down Ovie tonight. Got at least a couple solid licks on him. Cowen-Karlsson has shut down 87 and 8 in the span of a week. Not bad.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
lol why "get rid of Corvo"?

The guy make sonly 900 000$ and is gone at the end of the year. Provides some experience and mobility with an ability to put up points. Perfect 7th D-man at this point. Gryba is the other perfect 7th D-man, physical shutdown type. PM must be happy, can use one of them whenever he wants.

That being said, Cowen is a total beast. Yes, he will make some mistakes like every other NHL player but since he started to play more aggressive and with less hesitation, you can see him slowly but surely getting back to be the beast he is suppose to become. Ice in his veins. The guy is a winner and this fanbase doesn't even deserve him

Because we have 8 defencemen & we should only be carrying 7 defencemen. Ceci has made Corvo redundant & we don't want to send Ceci back to Bingo. I would also prefer Gryba in the lineup over Corvo. Did you see all the mistakes Corvo made tonight & makes nightly? He is terrible defensively & isn't putting up enough pts to keep him in the lineup. There are also a couple of Bingo guys I would like to see in the lineup but you can only carry 23 players so getting rid of Corvo gives us more flexibility.

I would also like to see Stone in Ottawa asap to play with a healthy Spezza & Greening to see if they could develop some chemistry together. PM has found a good combination with Conacher - Zibanejad - Michalek to go with the Turris line & if they can get Spezza going they would have three good scoring lines. Smith, Grant & Neil could be the energy & shut down line.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
He still moves incredibly slowly. Unless he's positioned perfectly he'll usually lose any puck carrier who isn't also really slow, and he's still awful at skating with and distributing the puck.

People keep making Chara comparisons, but Chara moves pretty quickly for such a tall guy, makes good decisions promptly, and actually passes the puck to his teammates. Cowen doesn't do any of that. Most of the time when he touches the puck in his own end he either coughs it up or throws it away in a panic.

SenatorArmy*

He still moves incredibly slowly. Unless he's positioned perfectly he'll usually lose any puck carrier who isn't also really slow, and he's still awful at skating with and distributing the puck.

People keep making Chara comparisons, but Chara moves pretty quickly for such a tall guy, makes good decisions promptly, and actually passes the puck to his teammates. Cowen doesn't do any of that. Most of the time when he touches the puck in his own end he either coughs it up or throws it away in a panic.

Coming off some pretty serious knee injuries though I'd give him time....I think as time passes, Cowen's confidence & speed will improve

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Because we have 8 defencemen & we should only be carrying 7 defencemen. Ceci has made Corvo redundant & we don't want to send Ceci back to Bingo. I would also prefer Gryba in the lineup over Corvo. Did you see all the mistakes Corvo made tonight & makes nightly? He is terrible defensively & isn't putting up enough pts to keep him in the lineup. There are also a couple of Bingo guys I would like to see in the lineup but you can only carry 23 players so getting rid of Corvo gives us more flexibility.

I would also like to see Stone in Ottawa asap to play with a healthy Spezza & Greening to see if they could develop some chemistry together. PM has found a good combination with Conacher - Zibanejad - Michalek to go with the Turris line & if they can get Spezza going they would have three good scoring lines. Smith, Grant & Neil could be the energy & shut down line.

Corvo plays because Phillips is sidelined. PM could play Gryba, but he will use Corvo against teams where you need fast puck movement, like the Caps.

Corvo is an insurance policy at this point. Having 8 D-men should only be a problem for Melnyk

Maybe I don't know anything about hockey, But I see Cowen make a lot of smart passes during a game, with calmness.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Cowen is very young, just keep that in mind.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Cowen was all over Ovechkin.

Great game for Cowen. Nice to see its coming back and maybe more.

:clap:

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009

I dont see it. I just see Cowen making a great play 75% of the time hes on the ice. And I'll take that version of Cowen playing with EK65 who can cover up for the other issues he has. The two of them together taking up nearly half of the game is perfect when you have Methot not playing at the same level as last year.

If he can consistently play a little mean hes gonna be a gem. Nazem who I say NAZEM WHO!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Having 8 defensemen is a good thing. One blocked shot hits the wrong area and we're down to 7.

I'm very glad to see Cowen is trending in the right direction. Sometimes it's really hard to have patience with players, especially when things with the team overall aren't going well. Nice to see some positive trends.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Having 8 defensemen is a good thing. One blocked shot hits the wrong area and we're down to 7.

I'm very glad to see Cowen is trending in the right direction. Sometimes it's really hard to have patience with players, especially when things with the team overall aren't going well. Nice to see some positive trends.

:clap:

This man understands. Corvo is the perfect D man to have, you can sit him for a while and not worry about development and hes enough of a vet to not sulk when called upon. He can play well in sheltered minutes which we can afford because.... we have 8 D.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Corvo plays because Phillips is sidelined. PM could play Gryba, but he will use Corvo against teams where you need fast puck movement, like the Caps.

Corvo is an insurance policy at this point. Having 8 D-men should only be a problem for Melnyk
Exactly this. I don't understand why fans get so uptight about moving/waiving/demoting a 6/7th d-man that will not get you any return. As Xspyrit said, he is an insurance policy because with a bit of bad luck we could be down to 4 or 5 d in a hurry. We have been very lucky with injuries so far this season (*touches wood).

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Cowen is very young, just keep that in mind.

Cowen is basically in his 2nd NHL season (at 22 y/o) and is already a solid top-4 D-man

People quickly forget that Cowen has lost like 1.5 years of development too with injuries. It's like he was just 21 y/o

Exactly this. I don't understand why fans get so uptight about moving/waiving/demoting a 6/7th d-man that will not get you any return. As Xspyrit said, he is an insurance policy because with a bit of bad luck we could be down to 4 or 5 d in a hurry. We have been very lucky with injuries so far this season (*touches wood).

That's also what I said when we signed him... Corvo knew what his role was going to be... at 37 y/o on the decline, he had to accept that to stay in the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad