Cowen

corksens

Jul 19, 2005
He's got trouble with his decision making, that's not on coaching. The pressure is high in a Canadian market for a young guy who is a former top 10 pick and this season everyone expects him to become a cornerstone on the backend...that's why IMO he thinks too much defensively and tries to complicate his offensive game. In a read and react type situation like the 5 on 3 in the Panthers game, he dominated
Yea...against the Panthers.

I was at last nights game - Cowen (and the entire team) was terrible.

Some serious shake-ups need to happen.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He's got trouble with his decision making, that's not on coaching. The pressure is high in a Canadian market for a young guy who is a former top 10 pick and this season everyone expects him to become a cornerstone on the backend...that's why IMO he thinks too much defensively and tries to complicate his offensive game. In a read and react type situation like the 5 on 3 in the Panthers game, he dominated

it's up to the coaching staff to relax the young guys and get to them a point where they are comfortable on the ice. no, not in game 1 or week 1, but by now you'd like to see some improvements. too many players are looking confused at the same time. that involves coaching. if an effective system is put in place and the players understand the system well, you don't see what we are seeing.
unless you want to blame all of the players?

i'm not saying fire the coach. i'm saying coach maclean(who is here to stay) needs some help. this coaching staff is too inexperienced to be a group in the nhl imo. 3 guys, all new positions for them.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think putting cowen on the top pairing was a mistake. He is not ready for the role. In fact, most of our young players are not really ready for the role they are playing. Which is why i think this go with the kids philosophy was going to end in disaster. Did murray really think that weircioch could have just went and filled gonchars shoes?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Its true, for the most part when he makes a reaction play its the right decision. As soon as he starts thinking about what to do its a big problem, which I am not sure what to make out of that. The only thing I can think of is playing him in majorly sheltered minutes for the next couple of seasons so he can develop some hockey sense. The amount of time he has missed between the two big injuries and hold outs has really stunted his development. Now he is thrust into a role he just isn't ready for. Playing him with a guy like Corvo on the third pairing who can get the puck out for 12 to 15 minutes a night against the other teams 3rd and 4th lines seems like the easiest way to get him out of this funk. When you think back to two seasons ago when he played much better than this for the most part he was playing sheltered minutes on the third pairing. That seems to me like what they need to do here.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Give him time and he should improve. That said I doubt he develops into a top pairing defenseman but rather he'll be a solid 2nd pairing guy over the course of his career.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think putting cowen on the top pairing was a mistake. He is not ready for the role. In fact, most of our young players are not really ready for the role they are playing. Which is why i think this go with the kids philosophy was going to end in disaster. Did murray really think that weircioch could have just went and filled gonchars shoes?

Well, Cowen probably played his best games of the season on the top pairing

I know some of you don't put a lot of faith in professional coaches and staff but they might have a bit of competency to be where they at today... So Cowen's performance can be judged by his ice time (at least a bit) I think :

12 Nov '13 PHI @ OTT 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 2 0.0 25 19:07
09 Nov '13 FLA @ OTT 0 0 0 -1 2 0 0 0 22 21:30
07 Nov '13 MTL @ OTT 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 27 21:25
05 Nov '13 OTT @ CBJ 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 27 24:32
03 Nov '13 DAL @ OTT 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 32 26:19
01 Nov '13 NYI @ OTT 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 28 22:20

It was in our 5 games without a loss streak and since he was off last game, McLean diminished his ice-time

Also, when you're talking about a "disaster", are you talking about the Sens who are 7-7-4, 53 GF, 53 GA ?

I think even if the Bruins had that kind of start their fans wouldn't even call it a disaster. IIRC, Bruins (and other good teams) had worst starts than that in some recent years. Expectations from this fanbase are just lol

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

I know some of you don't put a lot of faith in professional coaches and staff but they might have a bit of competency to be where they at today... So Cowen's performance can be judged by his ice time (at least a bit) I think :

It was in our 5 games without a loss streak and since he was off last game, McLean diminished his ice-time

Also, when you're talking about a "disaster", are you talking about the Sens who are 7-7-4, 53 GF, 53 GA ?

I think even if the Bruins had that kind of start their fans wouldn't even call it a disaster. IIRC, Bruins (and other good teams) had worst starts than that in some recent years. Expectations from this fanbase are just lol

You are fooling yourself if you really think the defense hasn't been a disaster. I don't care about the record. I care about what I see on the ice.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010

To be fair this fanbase needs a couple of whipping boys and cowen is one of them now. No point in wasting breath trying to change that.

The part that gets me though is a year or 2 ago you were hearing terms like chara-lite, shea weber version 2.0 when cowen was being discussed. Now people are willing to add to a package where he is the main piece for likes of hartnell, courbun or w.e.
:help:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
He is sitting tonight. Management says it is because he is not performing well.

Garrioch questions the timing.
Why not seat him last night?

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
boro wasn't fully ready to go, and it was important for cowen to play as much as possible, even if to the detriment of the team, but not tonight

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Cowen does not look like an NHL defenseman, and between his rookie season and his injuries has never looked good at the NHL level, while never getting an extended stay in the AHL to prove himself. I am more than just a little worried about him.

That said, Borowiecki is not an improvement and it's ridiculous that we're still using him.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
Cowen does not look like an NHL defenseman, and between his rookie season and his injuries has never looked good at the NHL level, while never getting an extended stay in the AHL to prove himself. I am more than just a little worried about him.

That said, Borowiecki is not an improvement and it's ridiculous that we're still using him.

I like Boro on the bottom pairing. Ottawas problem is outside methot and karlsson all our d men are 5-6 types so whoever is playong top 4 minutes that game is over their head more often then not.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
People need to remember that defenders develop slowly. In our roster he gets paired up with non-vets and gets a lot of pressure put on him. Lets not make a hasty judgement on keeping a big bodied defenseman or not. Last time didn't go quite too well...

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
People need to remember that defenders develop slowly. In our roster he gets paired up with non-vets and gets a lot of pressure put on him. Lets not make a hasty judgement on keeping a big bodied defenseman or not. Last time didn't go quite too well...

100% agree.

People are giving up on this guy way too early. He has 115 games played. He is just beyond a rookie. He has been playing like garbage but to trade him at this point, unless it's for a big overpayment, would be a mistake.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
100% agree.

People are giving up on this guy way too early. He has 115 games played. He is just beyond a rookie. He has been playing like garbage but to trade him at this point, unless it's for a big overpayment, would be a mistake.

And most people don't really understand how difficult it is to miss such significant stretches of time. Compound that with The fact that the time he missed were critical in his development. Murray and Maclean understand this. It's no coincidence that he's been much better as he gets more games under his belt. You don't just wake up one day and say 'hey I'm healthy, let's go play top 4 minutes against the Eastern conferences best players as 22 year old.'

I don't see his 'hockey sense' being an issue at all. Even in junior we saw a guy that took a while to get adjusted after he blew out his knee. It takes time to get up to speed mentally in any level of hockey. We asked this guy to hit the ground running at 100mph. It didn't go well, but that doesn't mean you give up, it just means you need a new approach. Teams that give up on their high draft picks end up trading Turris for Rundblad and a second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad