OT: COVID-19-No politics! Read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Yes yes

Banks are big meannies who make profits and should be vilified

Sure, they lend money to people buying businesses and homes which helps the entire economy function but **** them

Am I right Pookie?

They create that money out of thin air. I believe in free market capitalism - I'm an entrepreneur and I study economics but the big banks are just scamming if you understand there business model. Citizens should be able to pay off a home in about 10-15 years, not 25-30. Banks are stealing the labour of the people through obscene interest payments , it's organized theft.

Reactions: mclaren55

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Is there a gif where Bugs is sawing the US off of Canada? Good to know these idiots can still freely come into our country.
x0hZLvF.gif

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I'm watching a live stream of someone living and streaming from Tokyo and while the Japanese have about double the number of known people infected with the virus and they of course are living in much more densely populated cities, its pretty interesting to see how they don't seem to be nearly as panicked and worried about the virus as many other nations are.

I mean some places like Italy definitely need to be more worried than elsewhere, but Japanese people seem to be taking safety measures while at the same time are just going on living their lives without freaking out, panic buying and thinking its the end of the world it seems.

I'm not saying this virus isn't serious by any means, but it seems like many people have swung far too much the other way and are making it seem like this virus is civilization ending or something. Should people be careful and concerned? Of course. But at the same time this isn't ebola where if you get it you're quite screwed and you need to avoid getting it at all costs. So while people definitely need to take precautions, I can't help but feel we're now freaking out abit too much over something that isn't an end of the world event, not even close.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
The Canadian government has been partners in turning the Canadian banks into major global players for decades. The banks are protected from foreign ownership unlike just about every other Canadian business sector. Decades ago they made it possible for the Canadian Trust company sector to be publicly traded and within 10 years every significant Trust cashed out to the big Canadian banks. There has never been a larger cavern between the lending and saving rates. If they were allowed, they would have negative saving rates, it may yet happen.

Surely like me, some of you have had to beat your bank off with a stick from pushing line of credit and other credit traps on you. There was a time I was getting called and mailed to start a line of credit weekly. They'd mail me blank cheques with my name and address attached to my credit card that I had to escalate just to stop.

The 2nd last time I went into the bank I've used since I was 10 for something they insisted they had to see me in person for, the rep with an office and name plate bald face lied that he couldn't do a funds transfer to another institution. Not only that, after I called him on it because I knew I could, he doubled down with a "I'll talk to my boss", called me back and said he couldn't do it. I had to waste several more hours just forcing "my bank" to do their job completing a routine RRSP funds transfer.

What other Canadian business has its debt (our deposits in the banks) underwritten by the federal government?

Nice post!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
They create that money out of thin air. I believe in free market capitalism - I'm an entrepreneur and I study economics but the big banks are just scamming if you understand there business model. Citizens should be able to pay off a home in about 10-15 years, not 25-30. Banks are stealing the labour of the people through obscene interest payments , it's organized theft.

Don't get me wrong, I think the big banks absolutely suck and have way to much influence in the political process as well as being price gouging *****

That doesn't mean I think they should be the ones giving people financial bailouts though, that's something that is and should remain a governmental decision and responsibility

We've given the big banks way to much protection over the years imo and have helped them cripple any potential competition that could compete with them, we've helped them monopolize the market basically

Reactions: Puckstuff

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
My mom is working at a carehome in Vancouver. Told me there are 2 residents sick and they have been waiting 3 days for test results. Said the health ministry replied it would take 4 to 8 days.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Los Angeles has let go 600 prisoners and lowered its arrest averages from 300 a day down to 60. That will probably start occuring more commonly in the USA. Iran has let 90 000 prisoners out so far.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Los Angeles has let go 600 prisoners and lowered its arrest averages from 300 a day down to 60. That will probably start occuring more commonly in the USA. Iran has let 90 000 prisoners out so far.
Whoa wut

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Despite multiple recommendations that we should be undergoing any non urgent medical care, both of the physiotherapy clinics I work for have their doors open for business. This is also with many major Toronto clinics being closed yesterday as well.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I'm also assuming Ford is just shutting down bars and setting a curfew or something.

If that's the case, police would have a nightmare dealing with house parties and such.

College kids are still gonna drink.

horner

May 22, 2007
A glimmer of hope .
Was watching Good Morning America and they are saying a drug (Remdesivir) that was created for the Ebola outbreak but failed .
Is now being offered to the most serious Coronavirus virus .
One man was administered a 5 day within 48 hrs was seeing noticeable changes.
Very few side effects.

A glimmer of hope

Last edited:

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd bet just locking down bars, restaurants, and daycares officially for today. As in consequences for those who don't.

I don't see full lockdown yet.

This.

Given it's St Patrick's Day, it's actually a very critical and timely thing to announce this and put these measures into place.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
This.

Given it's St Patrick's Day, it's actually a very critical and timely thing to announce this and put these measures into place.
Yup. Queen's students were still out partying all weekend.

The infamous Ezra street party that had 30k students last year in Waterloo is still expected to take place today with the municipality scared to do anything about it.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Yup. Queen's students were still out partying all weekend.

The infamous Ezra street party that had 30k students last year in Waterloo is still expected to take place today with the municipality scared to do anything about it.

Absolute nonsense

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

this is probably just what their policy should be. They have ridiculous arrest rates in the US and you can get big prison sentences for pretty minor things. If you are carrying a small amount of weed in some states it can lead to prison time. These 600 prisoners aren’t going to be rapists, murderers and bank robbers. More like a kid who sold a small amount of weed, or someone with too many dui’s type.

arrest quotas are an inherently flawed way of police work, if you are doing a good job in reality you’d have no arrests at all due to such good work, ok that’s the extreme end. But quotas help no one puts pressure on officers to “get their numbers” and it means some of the most vulnerable will be put in court for offences that really only need a fine or even a talking to

Reactions: Rogie

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
My gym is closing down. Does anyone know what usually happens with refunds? I got one month left but checked the website and it says to contact the community centre for refunds. Or will the computers freeze it and rollover the month when the gym opens?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I think the big banks absolutely suck and have way to much influence in the political process as well as being price gouging *****

That doesn't mean I think they should be the ones giving people financial bailouts though, that's something that is and should remain a governmental decision and responsibility

We've given the big banks way to much protection over the years imo and have helped them cripple any potential competition that could compete with them, we've helped them monopolize the market basically

Actually, all the banks would have to do is give a payment holiday for a few months, but not reduce the debt.

If they wanted to be really generous they could forgive some interest, but really a payment holiday doesn't really do any harm, as they just recoup the money later.

Now if there is a housing crash the banks are going to be stuck with huge debt anyway, so a payment holiday could work in their favor, rather than have customers handing over their house keys like in the early 80's, they'd just push the pain out further, they could just "flatten the curve."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad