OT: COVID-19-No politics! Read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
this is probably just what their policy should be. They have ridiculous arrest rates in the US and you can get big prison sentences for pretty minor things. If you are carrying a small amount of weed in some states it can lead to prison time. These 600 prisoners aren’t going to be rapists, murderers and bank robbers. More like a kid who sold a small amount of weed, or someone with too many dui’s type.

arrest quotas are an inherently flawed way of police work, if you are doing a good job in reality you’d have no arrests at all due to such good work, ok that’s the extreme end. But quotas help no one puts pressure on officers to “get their numbers” and it means some of the most vulnerable will be put in court for offences that really only need a fine or even a talking to

We've all heard the story of who is most likely to be jailed.

Maybe this will be the door to correct some of those inequities.

Non-violent criminals ...

Of course if you want to look at the negative side, some decisions could be to shift the burden to someone else.

I think I'll look at the positive side though and hope this is more about justice than quotas.

horner

May 22, 2007
Yup. Queen's students were still out partying all weekend.

The infamous Ezra street party that had 30k students last year in Waterloo is still expected to take place today with the municipality scared to do anything about it.
These students could be in serious trouble.
The police will be there .
Are liquor and beer stores a I'll open.
If so these people may screw it up for other people having a beer in the near future.
Listen be smart or the government will shut down everything.

Reactions: mclaren55

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
My major concerns at this point, outside of getting the virus and spreading it, obviously, is how it's going to absolutely kill all of us economically. I'm middle-class, I have some savings and stocks but nothing crazy, and I'm going to be off work for at least 2 weeks and I'm paid hourly. The only thing I have going for me is I have my rent paid off for the next 3 months. Will I get something similar to E.I? Will this kill the industry i work in for a while meaning I'll go from 40 hours a week to 30? What about the poor people? We're looking at a major recession. If people arent making any money they arent spending it.

It’s the next major point that needs to be addressed for sure.

Many companies and some retailers are closing the doors out of “an abundance of caution” .... which can also be seen as “profit protection” in some cases.

Demand has dropped. So temporary layoffs are the best way to protect against losing profit.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
My gym is closing down. Does anyone know what usually happens with refunds? I got one month left but checked the website and it says to contact the community centre for refunds. Or will the computers freeze it and rollover the month when the gym opens?

I know the Y is closing down here and said the flex system will kick in ... whatever months are closed will be added to end of term. It is 2 months of flexible hold normally, but I think I heard them say they are increasing that to 3 months (at this time). If it is closed more than 3 months it means things are really not going well.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
If so these people may screw it up for other people having a beer in the near future.

Just goes to show that a University education doesn’t provide common sense.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It’s the next major point that needs to be addressed for sure.

Many companies and some retailers are closing the doors out of “an abundance of caution” .... which can also be seen as “profit protection” in some cases.

Demand has dropped. So temporary layoffs are the best way to protect against losing profit.

Yep, I can see that is going to be an issue, layoffs for businesses that were in trouble, or headed for closure anyway. Money for non-viable businesses through the new programs.

People self quarantining for a couple weeks of staycation.

Heard Amazon is giving their people $2 an hour increase due to the new demands for household goods online.

Brick and mortar takes another blow.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Despite multiple recommendations that we should be undergoing any non urgent medical care, both of the physiotherapy clinics I work for have their doors open for business. This is also with many major Toronto clinics being closed yesterday as well.

True.

One of the reasons that they recommend foregoing non urgent care is that they need the heath staff for front line work on this virus.

That’s a labour issue not a spread the virus issue.

Since most physio clinics are privately owned, they couldn’t just show up at a hospital and get paid a salary to work on the front lines.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
My gym is closing down. Does anyone know what usually happens with refunds? I got one month left but checked the website and it says to contact the community centre for refunds. Or will the computers freeze it and rollover the month when the gym opens?

They will most likely extend your expiry date.

Private gyms are doing the same.

Reactions: DenisSamson3

Thqre

Nov 7, 2019
For all these financial aid packages, I'd wish instead of declaring X million aid package is available. They'd just say we'll send you a check in the mail for X hundred of dollars every two weeks for the foreseeable future. Keep it simple.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
anyway my intention wasn’t to offend this guy so stead of keep going I’m going to leave this here

I don't even know any of his story (and always agree with the notion of living within means), I just realize people have different circumstances that might put them in a position where they don't have the same options (line of work, where you live, etc.). When I started out we had two beater vehicles. All we could afford. Those cars cost me more per month than the brand new ones I later bought (once you factored in repairs) but I had no choice because I couldn't get approved for the car payments on credit plus a house that early in my life (but you can buy a beater and float the repair costs yourself or on your credit card.....not a good recipe).

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
So...no public gatherings of more than 50 people....

Does this include offices, tech firms, construction firms and all that? Or is that a "private gathering"?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
For all these financial aid packages, I'd wish instead of declaring X million aid package is available. They'd just say we'll send you a check in the mail for X hundred of dollars every two weeks for the foreseeable future. Keep it simple.

OK, but how does that purchase more ventilators or ICU beds?

THose are more important then making sure you can afford Netflix and beer for the next month

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
So...no public gatherings of more than 50 people....

Does this include offices, tech firms, construction firms and all that? Or is that a "private gathering"?

I dont believe so. However virtually ever office place of that size I know of is basically "working from home" at this point, especially the tech firms.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yes yes

Banks are big meannies who make profits and should be vilified

Sure, they lend money to people buying businesses and homes which helps the entire economy function but **** them

Am I right Pookie?

In fairness they are also the groups largely responsible for crashing the economy and having governments bail them out so that those very same people could receive bonuses (yes bonuses) while thousands lost their homes and many committed suicide. Now that doesn't absolve the fact that many of those people themselves were not very bright in terms of knowing what they could afford but still, there's a lot of rich people in the banking world that basically gave a lot of others the finger.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't even know any of his story (and always agree with the notion of living within means), I just realize people have different circumstances that might put them in a position where they don't have the same options (line of work, where you live, etc.). When I started out we had two beater vehicles. All we could afford. Those cars cost me more per month than the brand new ones I later bought (once you factored in repairs) but I had no choice because I couldn't get approved for the car payments on credit plus a house that early in my life (but you can buy a beater and float the repair costs yourself or on your credit card.....not a good recipe).

So familiar, but in my case I think it was penny wise pound foolish.

Just seemed going into that much debt for a new car was not a good idea, but it turned out buying the beater and spending almost as much to keep it on the road was throwing good money after bad.

If you're a mechanic it might have been different (now with so many electronics I don't know), but at the end of paying all the repairs still had an old beater that was financially draining. At the end of the car loan had a 6 year old car that lasted another 11+ years.

Today, dealerships will bend over backwards to get you into a new car, just make sure the payments aren't taking food off the table.

Don't get me wrong I think cars are a horrible investment, but if you have kids, you live in a larger community, and you must get from point a to b all the time ...

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Just thought of another consideration for these selfish and entitled youth.

If you get the virus... where are you going to live?

Many depend on their parents for housing throughout their education, school term breaks and move back in after graduation.

Lots of those parents would be in the higher risk category.

Genius plan bro.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yeah, here's comparison of banks in Canada and here in Korea.

I've got 2 bank accounts here in Korea, one is Hana Bank (they merged with the Foreign Exchange Bank a few years ago), and the other account is Daegu Bank. I've had these accounts for years, and I've never had a basic monthly fee on either of them. As far as I know, they don't charge a monthly fee to keep an account, it's kind of a combination chequing/savings acct.

I've got 2 Cdn bank accounts, one with TD and one with a Credit Union. The TD charge monthly account fees, they can be pretty substantial depending on what type of account you need. Fortunately, my TD account, i have no problem keeping the balance high enough, that the monthly fee is waived every month, but, prolly a lot of people don't have that luxury. The Credit Union account is a Golden Account for seniors, so there are NO monthly fees (great great service in my opinion).

I guess Korean banks can survive okay without charging monthly account fees, at least for some types of accounts.

Yeah, it's not simple, of course there are savings accounts where banks pay us when they hold our money, although, don't savings accounts also have monthly acct fees (i don't know, I should) whenever I have any extra I put it in a term instrument right away.

I don't understand paying bank fees. I haven't paid any in 20 years. No balance required. I actually quite love my bank (PC Financial....now Simplii). One of the few things I actively promote whenever a discussion comes up. Was remarking how nice it was yesterday (to myself) that there they are in the midst of the chaos sending out regular (almost daily) email updates about what they are doing and trying to reassure folks.

Thqre

Nov 7, 2019
OK, but how does that purchase more ventilators or ICU beds?

THose are more important then making sure you can afford Netflix and beer for the next month

Something like allocating 60% of the package to medical supplies. 40% to support the everyday living of citizens, and something along the lines of 40% is equivalent to $600 every two weeks for everyone. It gives a certainty to people.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
So familiar, but in my case I think it was penny wise pound foolish.

Just seemed going into that much debt for a new car was not a good idea, but it turned out buying the beater and spending almost as much to keep it on the road was throwing good money after bad.

If you're a mechanic it might have been different (now with so many electronics I don't know), but at the end of paying all the repairs still had an old beater that was financially draining. At the end of the car loan had a 6 year old car that lasted another 11+ years.

Today, dealerships will bend over backwards to get you into a new car, just make sure the payments aren't taking food off the table.

Don't get me wrong I think cars are a horrible investment, but if you have kids, you live in a larger community, and you must get from point a to b all the time ...

Way back then I fully wanted a new car but couldn't get approval (different times). I went way behind versus had I been able to get new. Scary thing is, I actually do a fair bit of my own mechanical work and it was still putting me behind. I don't know that poster's case but I think he had NB in his name. If that means New Brunswick, a vehicle is almost necessity even if single because their isn't much public transportation. I lived within city limits but was 20 KM from my office and no public transportation system. In summer I often biked.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

What's happening in Alberta

Dear staff, physicians and volunteers,
Today we write with updates on: cases in Alberta, travel restrictions, working remotely, Skype meetings, childcare, support for critical areas, Health Link, and taking care of ourselves and each other.
Case Update
There are 18 newly confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Alberta since Sunday, bringing the total to 74. We now have cases in all five of Alberta’s zones, with new cases now confirmed in North, Central and South zones. Five cases are stable in hospital; all others are self-isolating at home and expected to recover fully. Here is the current breakdown of cases across the province:
  • 52 cases in the Calgary zone
  • 18 cases in the Edmonton zone
  • two cases in the Central zone
  • one case in the South zone
  • one case in the North zone
We are seeing transmission of COVID-19 with no traceable travel connections occurring in Alberta communities. It is clear that we must take this outbreak seriously. Every single one of us has a role to play in protecting public health. As we watch our cases grow in Alberta, it is up to each of us to follow the recommendations – to stay home if we have any kind of symptoms or if we’ve recently travelled, be around as few people as possible at this time, and practice proper handwashing and illness management.
As Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, said today, while she was isolating at home due to cold-like symptoms, no one is exempt from staying home – even with mild symptoms. Though Dr. Hinshaw’s symptoms do not appear to be consistent with COVID-19, she is working from home, refraining from family interaction and has been tested. Taking these precautions represent our new normal. We can’t risk exposing others, especially our elderly and vulnerable populations.
We know this situation is rapidly changing and there is so much information circulating. You can find trusted information about COVID-19 on Insite, at ahs.ca/covid and at alberta.ca/covid19. This includes details on how to self-isolate.

Travel Restrictions

Today, the Government of Canada announced additional travel advisories for Canadians travelling or planning to travel abroad. In Alberta, materials have also been developed to assist travellers returning from outside Canada, so they know what to do and how to self-isolate. These materials are being distributed at all airports in the province.
AHS strongly recommends that all staff follow government advisories. Self-isolation of 14 days is required for all travellers returning to Canada on or after March 12. Staff must refer to the Symptoms and Travellers Guidance and complete the assessment, which provides direction on whether individuals need to self-isolate at home, and when to contact WHS or Health Link 811.

Options for Working Remotely for Authorized Staff

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, there have been many requests from AHS staff to temporarily work remotely from home. Staff may be given the opportunity to work from home, where possible, with manager approval, as outlined in the AHS guideline on Temporary Alternate Workplace Arrangements. Information has been posted on Insite to explain the technical options for working from home and for accessing applications remotely.

Skype Meetings

Like many organizations across Canada, AHS is experiencing intermittent issues with the availability of Skype for inbound and outgoing phone calls, due to an unprecedented volume of calls nationwide. The vendor for Skype has made it a high priority to resolve this issue for their healthcare clients.
This does not impact Skype-to-Skype calling, 911, 811, or the availability of any other AHS phone-based clinical service. Staff and physicians are using other tools when Skype is not available, including direct phone calls, and other teleconference options to ensure there is no delay to critical clinical processes.
Watch for updates as this resolves. For any other Skype for Business issues, contact the IT Service Desk.

Child Care Arrangements for Staff

We recognize that with school attendance suspended and daycares closed, there is a significant impact on our workforce. Given the critical nature of health services, we want to work with our staff as they navigate this new situation so they can attend work as scheduled.
AHS is encouraging managers to be flexible in the short-term to support staff with unanticipated child care responsibilities, while they make alternate arrangements. This approach is recommended for the week of March 16 to 20, at which time it is recommended that managers work with staff to understand if there will be longer-term challenges.
If a staff member is unable to attend work due to child care issues, they should work with their manager to determine if there are other options, such as switching shifts or flexible hours. Otherwise, missed time should be coded in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or terms and conditions of employment. Staff and managers will assess the appropriate coding, including special leave, personal leave, or vacation, prior to considering unpaid leave, if child care arrangements cannot be made.

Support for Health Link and Workplace Health and Safety

Deploying staff to critical COVID-19 response areas is a priority, including Health Link and Workplace Health and Safety. Thank you everyone who has offered to pick up shifts in these two important areas – we’ve currently had over 1,200 staff put their names forward to help. The response to this request is heartwarming.
While we have already been in touch with over 500 people, we understand that not all staff have been contacted yet. We are continuing to work through the large list of staff members offering to support this critical need. Those available at straight time and those whose availability matches the immediate needs (if indicated), will be contacted first. If you want to help, please submit your information through the contacts below.
Health Link Support Information
Calgary: AHS Unified Access Portal
Edmonton: AHS Unified Access Portal
Workplace Health and Safety Support Information
Please reach out to [email protected] if you or members of your team may be able to assist with this work.

Health Link Fields Thousands of Calls

It’s been another 24 hours of very high call volumes for Health Link 811, the majority of which are calls from Albertans with concerns about COVID-19.
On March 15, our Health Link teams answered 7,067 calls between the Calgary and Edmonton locations, with an average wait in Calgary of 16 minutes and 18 minutes in Edmonton. Over 5,000 of those calls were related to COVID-19.
Again, our heartfelt thanks go out to our Health Link staff and registered nurses who have been working 24/7 for over a week to help manage COVID-19 in Alberta. You are among those on our first line of defense and you should be proud of what you are doing to slow the spread of this outbreak and support Albertans. We are proud of you!
Online Assessment Tool
Launched on March 13, the AHS online assessment tool located at ahs.ca/covid, is being widely utilized and receiving attention from around the world. As of March 15, it has been completed over 800,000 times. We are sharing our tool with other health jurisdictions across Canada and in other countries to use in their fight against COVID-19. Through a series of questions, the tool will help you decide whether you need to call 811 to be tested for COVID-19. AHS teams are working on further enhancements to the tool to assist in connecting those who need to be tested directly with public health teams.

Mental Health
We know this is a stressful time at home and work as we navigate this outbreak. AHS Addiction and Mental Health Provincial Medical Director, Dr. Nicholas Mitchell shares information on mental wellness and ways to talk to our kids as Albertans’ normal routines change, and many self-isolate and use social distance to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Please find a moment to listen to his podcast to help support yourself and your families.

Taking care and control

As we wrap up another day in this evolving battle to slow down COVID-19 and protect Albertans, we are so thankful to be part of Alberta’s community and this amazing organization. We know how hard you are all working and we are so incredibly proud and grateful. When you can find a moment, please celebrate the great work we are doing together and support each other. Sometimes it’s as simple as finding ways to be kind and helpful in tough times that make the biggest difference. As Dr. Hinshaw noted, we can actually feel more in control of the situation when we feel we’ve helped someone. We are in this together, and together we will get through this.
Please find moments to rest and refresh.
With gratitude and appreciation.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Good read here on Italy’s response and considerations for mortgages, layoffs, etc

Mortgage holidays are a thing

Italy Seeks Bank Accord for Mortgage Relief Amid Virus Lockdown

Looks like a crisis taken under control with the express purpose/need to shift the paradigm. It's a large wealth transfer scheme across the globe caused by; or coinciding with a Virus that has a lot of mixed messaging around it - from typical to slightly more deadly all the way to bio weapon. As the central banks are printing money at taxpayers expense to bailout the system, main-street wealth, pension funds etc are being decimated. The supply chain is still broken, the people are being told to stay home (I assume while they evaluate or begin to implement a "new deal") for the meantime and for "safety and security". The next collapse will likely be the housing market as people start losing jobs in droves and that's where helicopter money from the sky will be showered on the people. Small business' will likely not survive this process unless they provide a service in demand.

The scale of what is happening now has never before been seen. From what I can see, life is about to completely change for all of us. That could be for the better or for the worse. It just all depends on the leadership of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille