OT: COVID-19 Megathread III (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Remember the "flatten the curve" strategy? And it worked but the shutdown lasted longer than the "two weeks"

We are now seeing exponential growth in cases, in the literal/mathematical sense not just hyperbole. If the Thanksgiving holiday produces a bunch of super spreader events, we will again be looking at potentially exceeding hospital capacity.

Its the perfect storm, sadly. Colder weather, lockdown fatigue, traditional time of year for large indoor gatherings, and a disengaged federal government, both the executive and congress.

The really sad thing is, we are on the cusp of getting a handle on things. The antibody cocktail getting approved and the vaccine near release means if we had the discipline (and the government support) for one more 6 week lockdown by the time we emerged in January we will have some real weapons against this thing.

But it will never happen, and governors will do good to institute half measures at best with no relief from the feds for those who the half measures will hurt.

Buckle up folks, December is going to be absolutely brutal.
It won't work because people have to work and pay bills.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I dunno after talking to a few people this morning that I don't know it seems even here in Shelbyville people are taking notice finally. Most businesses are requiring masks and of the 5 people I talked to ( was getting an estimate at a collision center where my wife hit a stop sign) everyone and their families seemed to be limiting gatherings to 3-4 people or cancelling them altogether. We don't even have a mask mandate here so that's everyone taking it upon themselves.

There is a bit of hope anyways.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
It won't work because people have to work and pay bills.

That's what I'm talking about a disengaged government. It would be a trillion dollars well spent to send everyone a 3000 dollar check to get them through and tell them to stay home.

Reactions: lstcyr

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I dunno after talking to a few people this morning that I don't know it seems even here in Shelbyville people are taking notice finally. Most businesses are requiring masks and of the 5 people I talked to ( was getting an estimate at a collision center where my wife hit a stop sign) everyone and their families seemed to be limiting gatherings to 3-4 people or cancelling them altogether. We don't even have a mask mandate here so that's everyone taking it upon themselves.

There is a bit of hope anyways.
We aren't doing my side of the family. Too many with underlining conditions. We're hosting her family but half them have already had it, and we're keeping everyone outside.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
My mother and grandmother are picking up a meal from Cracker Barrel to eat at home. My four are going to my sister's house to eat with her and my BIL who works from home, which in a way works better than a typical Thanksgiving since we can just do all vegan for a change. Usually we would all be together and have a group of 4-5 come over from Little Rock, but it was pretty easy to agree that they will stay there for their own thing this time.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
upload_2020-11-23_12-49-17.png

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
My mother and grandmother are picking up a meal from Cracker Barrel to eat at home. My four are going to my sister's house to eat with her and my BIL who works from home, which in a way works better than a typical Thanksgiving since we can just do all vegan for a change. Usually we would all be together and have a group of 4-5 come over from Little Rock, but it was pretty easy to agree that they will stay there for their own thing this time.
Good that you can tailor it to your diet. When my daughter got married we set up the reception as vegetarian and alcohol free and you would not believe the gripes. I am not vegetarian and I thought it was delicious! The alcohol ban was a venue thing.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
We aren't doing my side of the family. Too many with underlining conditions. We're hosting her family but half them have already had it, and we're keeping everyone outside.
Well just got word this morning that my niece has Covid so I'm guessing my parents gathering will be off now. My niece is 4 so if she has it the rest of my brother's crew will have it too more than likely.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Well just got word this morning that my niece has Covid so I'm guessing my parents gathering will be off now. My niece is 4 so if she has it the rest of my brother's crew will have it too more than likely.
Yep.

Went into work today--I work in a place that rents out studio space for music video and other types of shoots. Last few times there have been a lot of people but today was relatively light. I was potentially exposed first or second time I went back and I really haven't wanted to spend another 2 weeks in quarantine. The studio folks have made a bigger deal about the clients all wearing masks in common areas, which I appreciate.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Reactions: PredsV82

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well as I suspected after my niece got Covid my nephew now has it too. Glad we are in Ohio although being in a small town where the major hub is in Kentucky is making things interesting.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006

With this current surge I was wondering how long it would take before people I knew started getting it. Sure, enough 3 people my wife and I know got it this past week. Two in their early 30s and one in their 20s so hopefully will have a mild acute illness. The walls feel like their closing in on me. This stuff is everywhere.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Not good news when your area, Bristol Tn, makes cable news live broadcast about rural area problems. Jamie Swift, Ballad Health Chief Infection Prevention Officer interviewed.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
So now this thing seems like a shark just circling my family. Second family member tests positive. No contact with first family member. All in Arizona, just different parts of the state.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Daughter’s best friends Grandmother caught it then developed pneumonia. She almost died last year of pneumonia that started out as the flu, She died today.
They were so careful. They go nowhere, never allow visitors. They have no idea how she got it

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Didn't just happen but I posted earlier about it. so I feel I should follow up. My dad passed away due to coronavirus.

Everyone be safe with Christmas and New Years coming up. no need to make this political anymore. Everyone just be safe and do what you think is best for you, your family, and your livelihood.

Looking forward to hockey and a new year.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Didn't just happen but I posted earlier about it. so I feel I should follow up. My dad passed away due to coronavirus.

Everyone be safe with Christmas and New Years coming up. no need to make this political anymore. Everyone just be safe and do what you think is best for you, your family, and your livelihood.

So sorry.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
So very sorry to read all the sad news. Found out yesterday a good friend has it. Shes not in the hospital but is quite high risk, and 5 of her family are in the hospital, one on the vent.

Everyone please just buckle down and hang in there... the vaccine is coming soon

Reactions: bdub24

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
So very sorry to read all the sad news. Found out yesterday a good friend has it. Shes not in the hospital but is quite high risk, and 5 of her family are in the hospital, one on the vent.

Everyone please just buckle down and hang in there... the vaccine is coming soon

Sorry to both of you. Mine isn't Covid related but we just lost my mother in law to cancer. It was rough to watch these last few days.
Thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Reactions: bdub24 and PredsV82

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN

So sorry to hear this. You have my deepest sympathy. Even if it didn't happen yesterday, the need for TLC is ongoing as we mourn our loved ones. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad