OT: COVID-19 Megathread III (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
In the list of kicks in the butt, a close family to my parents the entire family basically has Covid at the moment. They all go it from someone at a family funeral.

Luckily here in Ohio they seem to not allow anyone besides family except for the graveside service. Even with that most of my mother in laws brothers and sisters will be staying in their cars.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
In the list of kicks in the butt, a close family to my parents the entire family basically has Covid at the moment. They all go it from someone at a family funeral.

Luckily here in Ohio they seem to not allow anyone besides family except for the graveside service. Even with that most of my mother in laws brothers and sisters will be staying in their cars.
A friend of mine from HS's mom passed at age 98 back in the summer. She didn't have covid but the family is conscientious so masks and separation was just going to be part of it. The church was not going to work. They had a memorial for her at the drive in in Lewisburg back in September or October. It was actually quite nice. Everyone could see and hear the service through their radio or phones, we were all with our own families for the most part, and they set it up so people could drive by and talk briefly to the family.

One of my Mother in Law's friends knows a family of 5 and all of them got covid. Wonder if it's the same family? I don't remember what the name was, seems like they lived in Kentucky. MIL knew them but not as closely as her friend.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
A friend of mine from HS's mom passed at age 98 back in the summer. She didn't have covid but the family is conscientious so masks and separation was just going to be part of it. The church was not going to work. They had a memorial for her at the drive in in Lewisburg back in September or October. It was actually quite nice. Everyone could see and hear the service through their radio or phones, we were all with our own families for the most part, and they set it up so people could drive by and talk briefly to the family.

One of my Mother in Law's friends knows a family of 5 and all of them got covid. Wonder if it's the same family? I don't remember what the name was, seems like they lived in Kentucky. MIL knew them but not as closely as her friend.
Nah this family lives in Shelbyville and by family I mean the whole extended family. Its nuts.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
These are the 5 highest one day new cases reported by the Tn Dept of Health

All have been in the last 16 days including a new record today .

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I had not looked at the numbers in a long time. Early on, Tennessee had relatively few deaths per case diagnosed compared to Kentucky but now TN has 5400+ deaths from 454k cases, and KY has 2200 deaths from 220k cases. Not sure if KY has just tested a lot more than they did initially, or if TN has had a late run of deaths. Either way, the numbers suck...

BUT..... the first doses of the vaccine should arrive at my hospital this week!! Hang in there everyone, there is finally some light at the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: lstcyr and bdub24

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I had not looked at the numbers in a long time. Early on, Tennessee had relatively few deaths per case diagnosed compared to Kentucky but now TN has 5400+ deaths from 454k cases, and KY has 2200 deaths from 220k cases. Not sure if KY has just tested a lot more than they did initially, or if TN has had a late run of deaths. Either way, the numbers suck...

BUT..... the first doses of the vaccine should arrive at my hospital this week!! Hang in there everyone, there is finally some light at the end of the tunnel.
Have you heard, definitively, what the order of distribution will be? I know those in hospitals and nursing homes will be first but what about after that? My sister said she read something in the news that broke it down into A1 A2 A3 etc but couldn't recall where she'd seen it.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Have you heard, definitively, what the order of distribution will be? I know those in hospitals and nursing homes will be first but what about after that? My sister said she read something in the news that broke it down into A1 A2 A3 etc but couldn't recall where she'd seen it.

No I havent heard. We are getting 975 doses and there is an algorithm for who gets them among the staff. I would think I would qualify given my age and asthma, but I dont know for sure.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Amy is getting tested today. Nick and I have been sick, well Nick only 3 days but started last Sunday, I got sick on Wednesday, but feel better today. We thought it was more like strep than COVID but with it only lasting 3 days with Nick, he didn't get tested, and since he recovered so quick, I never ran a fever but Amy started feeling bad last night, ran a high fever, she's decided to get tested. To be sure we're not getting anyone else sick, we decided to do the 10days quarantine even without the test. Since it's the offseason for baseball, we don't have to worry as much. Guess we'll know in a few days if we had it or not.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Amy is getting tested today. Nick and I have been sick, well Nick only 3 days but started last Sunday, I got sick on Wednesday, but feel better today. We thought it was more like strep than COVID but with it only lasting 3 days with Nick, he didn't get tested, and since he recovered so quick, I never ran a fever but Amy started feeling bad last night, ran a high fever, she's decided to get tested. To be sure we're not getting anyone else sick, we decided to do the 10days quarantine even without the test. Since it's the offseason for baseball, we don't have to worry as much. Guess we'll know in a few days if we had it or not.

There is definitely a non COVID, non-flu viral upper respiratory illness going around. Good luck, hope everything is ok

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
There is definitely a non COVID, no-flu viral upper respiratory illness going around. Good luck, hope everything is ok
Thanks. I'm hoping it's not COVID. Amy freaks out on everything. She asked me why I didn't get tested, I asked her why it mattered if I'm quarantining anyway. It's not like we go around people right now. You can actually never leave your house now. Kind of depressing.

Tennessee's numbers are terrible right now. I don't understand, I thought the mask were supposed to help. I don't ever see anyone without a mask yet our r/t rate is the highest in the country.

Nick went ice skating out doors but says he wore a mask the entire time. The next day he was sick.

But with teenage boys, it's always about a girl......

Reactions: Adz and PredsV82

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Masks help but arent perfect. The numbers are spiking for the same reason that flu and colds start spiking... it's cold, people stay indoors, and as the holidays approach people congregate together. A house in my neighborhood had SEVENTEEN cars at it last night, and every Sunday there are no less than 10. The truth is not everyone is as conscientious as we would want them to be.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I do have to say I am rather surprised considering the mask wearing and how much it was supposed to help. I rarely see anyone without a mask on these days. I'd say 1 in 10 at best don't and tbh I'd say that is rolling up to 1.

It's really making me believe that the improvement we saw earlier in the year had little to do with masks and more to do with people staying home instead of wearing one.

Also Kentucky's numbers are better because they were basically shut down. We had to stay in Ohio to be able to sit down and eat, and when you are in that tri-state area that blows. Most of the better restaurants are across the river in Kentucky.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Staying on farm but making trips to Lowes, groceries etc. Coming back from Lowes yesterday I stopped in a convenience store first time in months for a drink and snack. Opened one door and there was an unmasked guy 3 feet away facing me waiting in line with 5 more unmasked patrons. Walked around to other entrance. Maybe a dozen people in store including 3 clerks. I was only person with a mask. I've found the shallow end of the gene pool.

Reactions: PredsV82 and bdub24

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Two people I know (both used to post on the "other" boards) have it. One seems to be doing relatively well (she's young) and the other is getting over it but it was nasty during the worst part. She's also young, but not AS young.

We're seeing Thanksgiving numbers now. 14 day incubation period, right? Every picture I've seen of people at their Thanksgiving gatherings, no one was wearing a mask. We let down our guards when it's family, it's natural! And we were eating. So while people are wearing them while they're out, they still could have contracted it from their family members who usually live elsewhere. Wearing a mask isn't failsafe but it would still cut down the rate of transmission if used by all.

Reactions: PredsV82

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I wouldn’t make an assumption about masks simply because numbers are going up.

- I have no doubt they help. But we also stopped social distancing for the most part outside of large events (concerts/sports) being canceled or attendance limited.

- This leads me to assume that if you were out and saw no one wearing a mask the situation would likely be even worse than it is now.

- You’re only seeing people wear masks in an environment where they are likely encouraged to do so. What do those folks do when not at the store? Do they go to large gatherings with folks outside of their household? In those gatherings are people wearing masks and/or social distancing? Thanksgiving gatherings would be one example of this. Indoor dining in crowded restaurants that are not properly spacing is another, in addition to air circulation risks.

- Schools are open. When all of this is said and done it will be interesting to see if anyone will be able to piece together how much spread is directly correlated to kids spreading it to each other (likely without symptoms) and to the faculty/staff/bus drivers. And those folks then bringing it back home.

At this point it is what it is and hopefully by late summer this will all be behind us. But until then I would not make an assumption that masks don’t work. It’s an easy leap if you want to make it for some reason but I think it would also be an incorrect one. Wear your mask and continue to social distance the best you can. We’re almost to the finish line*.

*If people get vaccinated.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Rutherford county has been in school since early August, so I wouldn't pin the rise in numbers to students.

And I don't think anyone is saying mask don't work.

I can only speak for my family. I go to work, were I might see 5 people in a 300k square foot building, and don't come close to any of them. Wife works from home. Baseball is over so we've not been around our baseball family in weeks.

My son goes to school but they're strict on social distancing and require mask at all times. You can get detention for breaking the guidelines, even something like the mask not covering the nose.

He did go out with friends to an outdoor ice rink. Swears he wore a mask and stayed within his small group of couples.

So we've not been more relaxed with anything other than letting a 16 year old be a 16 year old some.

I told you guys, my daughters best friends grandmother passed away from pneumonia from COVID 2 weeks ago. She never had not left her house since March other than a check up in September. Has food delivered and doesn't even allow her grandkids over, they facetime her often or they did but no one went over there. They have no idea how she got COVID. The only person that was in there house was the appliance repair guy who has not had COVID and it was 12 days before she got sick.

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Rutherford county has been in school since early August, so I wouldn't pin the rise in numbers to students.

And I don't think anyone is saying mask don't work.

I can only speak for my family. I go to work, were I might see 5 people in a 300k square foot building, and don't come close to any of them. Wife works from home. Baseball is over so we've not been around our baseball family in weeks.

My son goes to school but they're strict on social distancing and require mask at all times. You can get detention for breaking the guidelines, even something like the mask not covering the nose.

He did go out with friends to an outdoor ice rink. Swears he wore a mask and stayed within his small group of couples.

So we've not been more relaxed with anything other than letting a 16 year old be a 16 year old some.

I told you guys, my daughters best friends grandmother passed away from pneumonia from COVID 2 weeks ago. She never had not left her house since March other than a check up in September. Has food delivered and doesn't even allow her grandkids over, they facetime her often or they did but no one went over there. They have no idea how she got COVID. The only person that was in there house was the appliance repair guy who has not had COVID and it was 12 days before she got sick.

There was a post above that basically questioned the efficacy of masks. I'm sure there are plenty of folks in the US who would tell you straight up that masks don't work.

Regarding schools, Rutherford County has done a pretty good job with it. They shut down constantly as required though lately it seems to be more due to staff or sub availability. Not sure if you've seen this or not but I learned last night that a Siegel HS teacher passed away from Covid yesterday. I have a number of friends (and family) who are teachers in the local school system and almost all of them have been infected and/or quarantined over the last couple of months. A friend of mine is a HS teacher in a neighboring county and is currently infected. Fortunately no respiratory concerns at this time but is really having a tough time with an extreme flu-like condition.

And I get it. You definitely have to let your 16 year old be a 16 year old. Those are important formative years that they'll never get back. Meanwhile I'm just trying to work my way towards retirement. :)

That last part is crazy. To be that careful and then to contract it through some unknown way is nuts. I assume it had to do with the delivery items and that sucks for sure.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Yeah Blackman is closed right now. We're not going to send him back tomorrow though unless Amy's test comes back before.

I should add. Nick and I do go to the gym every morning we can. We wear mask and wipe down equipment before and after.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I should add. Nick and I do go to the gym every morning we can. We wear mask and wipe down equipment before and after.

How has your gym been in general? I've got a PF membership mainly for the treadmills but haven't been since March. Of course it's getting colder now so I've been thinking about heading back. I don't mind running outside when it's cold but days like today? Nope!

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
How has your gym been in general? I've got a PF membership mainly for the treadmills but haven't been since March. Of course it's getting colder now so I've been thinking about heading back. I don't mind running outside when it's cold but days like today? Nope!
I don't use the cardio equipment at Gold's just the weights. Cardio area is always packed. We can stay away from people for the most part when weight lifting. We go to the one on Old Fort/96.

I have a treadmill at home, when I am disciplined enough to use it. The 16 year old has no interest in losing weight or cardio. They run a lot for baseball as it is.

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I have a treadmill at home, when I am disciplined enough to use it. The 16 year old has no interest in losing weight or cardio. They run a lot for baseball as it is.

Ha! I played basketball in high school. I remember being able to pound out a 12 pack of Krispy Kreme's and still manage to lose weight. Pretty sure if I eat a single donut now my body reminds me about its intrusion for at least a day.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
There was a post above that basically questioned the efficacy of masks. I'm sure there are plenty of folks in the US who would tell you straight up that masks don't work.

Regarding schools, Rutherford County has done a pretty good job with it. They shut down constantly as required though lately it seems to be more due to staff or sub availability. Not sure if you've seen this or not but I learned last night that a Siegel HS teacher passed away from Covid yesterday. I have a number of friends (and family) who are teachers in the local school system and almost all of them have been infected and/or quarantined over the last couple of months. A friend of mine is a HS teacher in a neighboring county and is currently infected. Fortunately no respiratory concerns at this time but is really having a tough time with an extreme flu-like condition.

And I get it. You definitely have to let your 16 year old be a 16 year old. Those are important formative years that they'll never get back. Meanwhile I'm just trying to work my way towards retirement. :)

That last part is crazy. To be that careful and then to contract it through some unknown way is nuts. I assume it had to do with the delivery items and that sucks for sure.
Yeah I'm questioning it. When everywhere I go has a mandate, practically everyone I've been around in 3 states has them on and it's not really made a difference either way I'm going to start questioning things.

I think their effectiveness is limited, down to the point of being nearly useless but we all keep doing it because it makes us feel better. The only thing I've seen that is absolutely effective at stopping it is a lockdown and that is limited because everyone can't just stay home.

Yeah I still wear it cause hell it's better than nothing, but I've yet to see anything real world side that makes me believe they do anything much for this virus. I think the studies on them are like alot of studies done, they set it up to get the answer they want.

Like I said I'll keep wearing it because what else am I gonna do? I'll probably get the vaccine eventually for the same reason, it makes everyone else happy and at ease. Well I will once its been a bit and we know there isn't some wonky side effect from it. As fast as it was developed it's a bit scary.

Reactions: predfan98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad