OT: COVID-19 Megathread III (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I always thought masks worked about as well as zombie repellant. Which is only about 50% effective (or so I hear). When I spray all my windows and doors with zombie repellant, half the zombies that attack my house are still going to get in. And that's not too bad up to a point. If 2 attack, well, 1 gets in and I can handle taking out just 1 zombie. If 3 or 4 attack, I might be ok. As long as I keep them separated from me enough in time or space, hey, every bit of zombie protection counts. It might help me survive a little longer. But if a whole herd attacks, or I go outside and fall into my swimming pool and it's filled with zombies, then I'm toast.

But... if I get bit and turn into a zombie myself, well... at least the mask will keep me from biting anybody else. :dunno:

Reactions: LCPreds

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Tennessee now has the highest rt in the country.

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-14_16-41-34.png
    upload_2020-12-14_16-41-34.png
    293.7 KB · Views: 6

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Ha! I played basketball in high school. I remember being able to pound out a 12 pack of Krispy Kreme's and still manage to lose weight. Pretty sure if I eat a single donut now my body reminds me about its intrusion for at least a day.
What, I gained a pound reading Krispy Kreme.

He works out more than me obviously and he put on 15-18 lbs last year, slowed a bit on the gains this year, he hasn't gotten much taller, still under 6'1", and barely at 155lbs. Kills me to see how out of shape I am now in my upper 40's. He rarely runs long distance, so I asked him to race for a solid mile. I thought I had good timing going, a decent pace, had the Dirt soundtrack blasting in my airpods, finished at just over 10 minutes, exhausted and over 4 minutes behind him...... So I body slammed him, just to show him I still could......

Reactions: LCPreds

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Masks do work. I know the numbers are crazy right now, but still in Tennessee 93% of the population has remained COVID free, 2% off the national average where 95% of the nation has avoided the virus. In a nation of 350M, we're going to hit 17M positive tests this week.

If it's possible to simultaneously be doing good and bad with this thing at the same time, that's how it's going. Of course mask wearing has it's limits, and I think while we've been doing a much better job with that aspect, we're also doing worse of limited contact.

My personal barometer has been the local Kroger because it's one of the very few places I have to go to on a regular basis. Back when this started, mask wearing was inadequate, but I felt like people were being more cautious by giving others more space at the store, limiting their trips there, limiting their time spent in the store when they got there, not bringing the whole family. So I definitely think almost everyone is wearing a mask now (though I still see those without on every trip) but increased mask wearing, along with virus fatigue, probably causes people to let their guard down in other areas.

Mask wearing is only so effective, it has to be done with distancing, limited trips from the home, hand washing and surface cleaning.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Hope you guys have been watching 20/20 tonight. Great show about how the vaccine has been developed. Amazing, worldwide effort.

Reactions: Adz

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I just hope it's as effective as they think it is and has no long term issues. I'm also hoping this thing lasts longer than 2-3 months.

I think most people have been fairly patient while waiting on the vaccine but if it doesn't work as well as we hope I could see a situation where people have had enough and just throw protocols out the door.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Sorry to any of you who are supporters of his, but your governor really screwed the pooch

EXCLUSIVE: Tennessee wastes millions on no-bid COVID contract with politically connected company

A person with any decency should resign after a fiasco like this.
If an entity has a name like Silicon Slopes one should run, run like the wind and get as far away as possible. First thing I think of is "slippery slope."
This bunch likely brought their burlap sacks for maximum slide action.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Well, test came back positive. We are a COVID house now...
So sorry to hear.
I have 3 other friends who have it right now. All hockey friends. One--well, it's not looking good. The other two will be okay. And for the record all 3 in 30-45 range.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Haha, I guess on some scales I'm young. I'm still fat though but relatively healthy...

I do think we have lighter cases.

So I guess I have no need for a vaccine now. For awhile anyway.

hell, with Tennessee getting 11k cases a day, we were bound to get it sooner or later.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
4 of the 5 highest one day new cases for Tennessee have been the last 4 days. Today's # is new high

12/13/202011352
12/14/202010319
12/15/20208251
12/16/202011410
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
4 of the 5 highest one day new cases for Tennessee have been the last 4 days. Today's # is new high

12/13/202011352
12/14/202010319
12/15/20208251
12/16/202011410
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Really not looking forward to what these numbers look like in 2-3 weeks post-Christmas gatherings.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I think it’s funny. We went the entire summer going from town to town hotel to hotel eating at restaurants with 15 other families and not a single case.

Then go into the off-season and bam

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I think it’s funny. We went the entire summer going from town to town hotel to hotel eating at restaurants with 15 other families and not a single case.

Then go into the off-season and bam

It could be terrible luck but also could be the situation we were kind of warned about months ago when there were fears it would get worse in the winter.

Why COVID outbreaks look set to worsen this winter.

Laboratory experiments reveal that SARS-CoV-2 favours cold, dry conditions, particularly out of direct sunlight. For instance, artificial ultraviolet radiation can inactivate SARS-CoV-2 particles on surfaces1 and in aerosols2, especially in temperatures of around 40 °C. Infectious virus also degrades faster on surfaces in warmer and more humid environments3. In winter, people tend to heat their houses to around 20 °C, and the air is dry and not well ventilated, says Dylan Morris, a mathematical biologist at Princeton. “Indoor conditions in the winter are pretty favourable to viral stability.”

I basically take away from this that we were less likely to contract the virus via surface contact in the summer than we are now. So it's just an added risk on top of the airborne one that the masks and distancing are intended to help with.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
And I’m sure your candidate will fix it all with raising taxes

At this point it really doesnt matter. We are already playing with monopoly money that the Fed has been printing willy nilly since 2008.

The thing is, much of that "bailout money" that gets given to poor and middle income people will churn right back into the economy and pay for itself. The bailouts to big corporations are the ones that screw the taxpayer when they end up usi g bailout money for stock buybacks and executive bonuses instead of keeping employees on the payroll

Edit... realized that I replied to a very old post... feel free to disregard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad