OT: COVID-19 Megathread III (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
Have to admit that it was a bit frustrating after seeing 10 other organizations following the mask guidelines to see the Predators with at least four people in the room not wearing a mask or not wearing it properly. Must be a Tennessee thing.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Have to admit that it was a bit frustrating after seeing 10 other organizations following the mask guidelines to see the Predators with at least four people in the room not wearing a mask or not wearing it properly. Must be a Tennessee thing.
We aren't as locked down as some other areas so it's not surprising. Outside of Nashville there basically is no mask mandate unless a specific business does it.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
We aren't as locked down as some other areas so it's not surprising. Outside of Nashville there basically is no mask mandate unless a specific business does it.

The counties in my area (Greene, Sullivan, Washington) have a mask mandate at least through the end of October, Knox I think is still in effect through December. Not going to check more but your assertion is wrong.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Gov. Newsom now wants Californians to re-mask themselves between bites when eating at restaurants. I just... :facepalm:

Also Riverside County (4th biggest in CA) being threatened with downgrading from "red" status to "purple" (back to the most restrictive shutdown). LA and San Bernardino County have never left purple. There's no end in sight, is there?

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Gov. Newsom now wants Californians to re-mask themselves between bites when eating at restaurants. I just... :facepalm:

Also Riverside County (4th biggest in CA) being threatened with downgrading from "red" status to "purple" (back to the most restrictive shutdown). LA and San Bernardino County have never left purple. There's no end in sight, is there?
just give it 2 more weeks to flatten the curve.

Reactions: bdub24

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The counties in my area (Greene, Sullivan, Washington) have a mask mandate at least through the end of October, Knox I think is still in effect through December. Not going to check more but your assertion is wrong.
Bedford, Coffee, Rutherford, Williamson, Moore, Marshall, Maury, Franklin, and Lincoln don't and all are in Middle Tennessee. That's just the ones I know for sure. That's pretty much from Nashville's Southern border all the way to the State line.

So no its not.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Bedford, Coffee, Rutherford, Williamson, Moore, Marshall, Maury, Franklin, and Lincoln don't and all are in Middle Tennessee. That's just the ones I know for sure. That's pretty much from Nashville's Southern border all the way to the State line.

So no its not.
As of 9/30 there are more in Middle TN: the ones above plus Cheatham, DeKalb, Hickman, Humphries, Jackson, Montgomery, Putnam, Robertson, Sumner, and Wilson. So basically Middle TN Kentucky to Alabama with Nashville an island.

Surrounding counties drop mask mandates as Nashville moves to Phase Three

Reactions: Armourboy

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.

So no its not.

Your assertion is
"Outside of Nashville there basically is no mask mandate unless a specific business does it. "

That is wrong.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
My area it is different than middle TN. Of course nothing outside of Nashville area matters in anyone's reality.

Having experienced living in East TN now, the news exposure difference is night and day.

In Middle TN, Nashville news stations broadcast basically from southern KY to the AL border and from Dickson to Cookville. It's a HUGE coverage area and it's almost entirely focused on Nashville.

In East TN, there seems to be much smaller coverage areas. Knoxville news covers Knoxville and the surrounding counties one or two deep, and doesn't include Chattanooga or the Tri-cities area. I imagine Chattanooga is much the same, not sure what it's like in your corner of the state.

When I lived in Philly, the news was very Philly-centric and barely covered the adjacent counties which means just a handful of counties in SE PA and a couple in NJ.

When I lived in Tampa, the coverage was a little bigger, from like New Port Richie down to Sarasota and then from the coast over to Lakeland. But it's still a much smaller coverage than what Nashville has.

All that to say that Middle TN is VERY Nashville focused, but also if you look at the reach that Nashville has it kind of makes sense, many, many, many people drive from 2+ counties and more than an hour each way every day to work in Nashville. It's unique in my experience which isn't limited but not vast either.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Just curious, when the mask mandate is/was removed from your city/county do you plan on immediately stopping wearing one?
Bedford County never had one. I basically wear one where businesses request it and if I'm getting a haircut because my barber had just had open heart surgery right before it hit so he is high risk.

Outside of that I don't really wear one, but generally speaking most places I have been that aren't immediately in Shelbyville tend to have rules that you wear one and so I do.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Having experienced living in East TN now, the news exposure difference is night and day.

In Middle TN, Nashville news stations broadcast basically from southern KY to the AL border and from Dickson to Cookville. It's a HUGE coverage area and it's almost entirely focused on Nashville.

In East TN, there seems to be much smaller coverage areas. Knoxville news covers Knoxville and the surrounding counties one or two deep, and doesn't include Chattanooga or the Tri-cities area. I imagine Chattanooga is much the same, not sure what it's like in your corner of the state.

When I lived in Philly, the news was very Philly-centric and barely covered the adjacent counties which means just a handful of counties in SE PA and a couple in NJ.

When I lived in Tampa, the coverage was a little bigger, from like New Port Richie down to Sarasota and then from the coast over to Lakeland. But it's still a much smaller coverage than what Nashville has.

All that to say that Middle TN is VERY Nashville focused, but also if you look at the reach that Nashville has it kind of makes sense, many, many, many people drive from 2+ counties and more than an hour each way every day to work in Nashville. It's unique in my experience which isn't limited but not vast either.

I live in Milwaukee. I know a guy who drove down from Sheboygan to Brookfield for his job. That is 68 minutes to go 69 miles. Sheboyan is halfway from Milwaukee to Green Bay on I-43. Going north from Milwaukee, it is Milwaukee County, Ozaukee County (AKA Oz), and then Sheboygan County. Going west from Milwaukee, you cross into Waukesha County to get to Brookfield, so that is traveling 3 counties to get to work.

Plenty of people now work in Chicago and live in Kenosha, WI. That is traveling at least 2 counties because Lake County in Illinois is between Kenosha and Cook County. Some of the them can ride the Metra train from Kenosha to Chicago. We have 7 Amtrak trains a day that run from Milwaukee to Chicago and back. It is the busiest Amtrak rail line not on the East Coast. Before COVID-19, there was talk of putting a third train on the rails to make it 10 trips a day each way.

My sister used to live in New Port Richey. The Tampa TV news would cover what happened in her little town of 15,000 people that are 16 feet above sea level. I have been on that 45 to 50 minute, 38 mile drive too many times. The Tampa newspaper had a big series about pro wrestlers when I was there visiting. A lot of them, like Hulk Hogan and John Cena, live in the Tampa area, brother!

Chicago and Milwaukee media, 90 miles apart, tend to ignore each other. We like it that way! The sports fans hate each other. The only two Blackhawks fans that lived in Milwaukee were both transplants from Chicago. One guy was married to a woman from Milwaukee. Let me emphasize that word WAS!

I lived in Dayton and Cincinnati. Their TV signals overlap because their downtowns are 48 miles away. Cincinnati had a lot of TV towers north of their downtown and Dayton had several south of their downtown, so the broadcast distances were more like 40 to 45 miles. My friend from high school and college used to live on Chickasaw Street in Cincinnati. That tower from the opening of WKRP in Cincinnati was just beyond the south end of his block. (I used to ask him if he had to turn on the gas to fry an egg or just remove it from the shell?) That tower is gone, but 2 TV stations are located there now with a new modern looking tower.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
You may be right and when the statement began "Outside of Nashville" maybe that was to mean adjacent counties or surrounding counties. I read that as everywhere in the state except Nashville ....

In grocery stores around here I'd say 90% mask wearing inside the store, Lowes maybe 80% masked. I don't go many other places with people present. Have not been in a Wal-mart etc for well over a month. If the local (Greene, Sullivan, Washington) mandate does expire 11/1, which I expect, I'll be curious as to the percentage change. Since the formula change 9/3 active cases have been stable in Greene [100, 146 - 78], Washington [230, 249 - 190] but Sullivan declined from 260 on 9/4 to 136 on the 22nd then has steadily climbed to 313 yesterday, the highest since 9/3.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Bedford County has held pretty steady outside of the one major outbreak at the local chicken plant which is where the largest bulk of our cases came from.

Other than restraunts and grocery stores we don't go out much, occasionally to a friend's house which is normally an outside gathering. Restraunts I'd say maybe 10% of people have one on, but that's pretty much been the case since they opened back up here.

Vanderbilt just bought our hospital so hopefully we will have a decent one for the first time ever. Normally we just go to Murfreesboro or Nashville.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Vanderbilt just bought our hospital so hopefully we will have a decent one for the first time ever. Normally we just go to Murfreesboro or Nashville.

Yeah, last month Rutherford County denied Vanderbilt from building a new facility here.

The county said it would be "redundant to existing nearby infrastructure" because St. Thomas exists here. They instead approved St. Thomas to build a satellite extension. St. Thomas is adding 8 beds, while the new Vandy hospital would have added 48 beds and presumably a full hospital's worth of jobs.

According to the article, Rutherford residents made 250k visits to Vanderbilt in Nashville last year.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah, last month Rutherford County denied Vanderbilt from building a new facility here.

The county said it would be "redundant to existing nearby infrastructure" because St. Thomas exists here. They instead approved St. Thomas to build a satellite extension. St. Thomas is adding 8 beds, while the new Vandy hospital would have added 48 beds and presumably a full hospital's worth of jobs.

According to the article, Rutherford residents made 250k visits to Vanderbilt in Nashville last year.
Yeah we suspect they will try and draw people in Rutherford to our hospital because of that. They basically bought up a bunch of hospitals right around Rutherford.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Just curious, when the mask mandate is/was removed from your city/county do you plan on immediately stopping wearing one?
Will continue to wear them. Will also probably continue to be in public sparingly. Once work requires me to go back on site I will also probably go back to driving rather than taking the train. The mandates are going to be removed once some arbitrary infection/death rate is reached, people are still irresponsible as hell and I'm not going to take too many chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad