OT: COVID-19 Megathread III (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Blue states do stupid shit too. I hate you guys blame everything on one party or the other...

I know they do. I was specifically responding to his point about Tennessee and the COVID vaccine. Kentuckys deep red legislature is trying to do stupid shit regarding COVID too.

Reactions: triggrman

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I know they do. I was specifically responding to his point about Tennessee and the COVID vaccine. Kentuckys deepened legislature is trying to do stupid shit regarding COVID too.
I hate the red and blue labels. I hate politicians for the most part period. I'll get the vaccine, but I don't know that I want my 20 year old daughter taking it yet.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I hate the red and blue labels. I hate politicians for the most part period. I'll get the vaccine, but I don't know that I want my 20 year old daughter taking it yet.

Why? Shes the perfect candidate for it. Young, healthy, but probably in college or somewhere that she wants to socialize. Yeah, even if she gets it (COVID)she will probably be fine, but every infected person is a chance to pass it on and/or let it mutate, whereas if shes already immune it never takes root and will eventually die out. It's one of the big reasons we need to get high vax rates at colleges...

Edit... full disclosure: my 20 year old stepson at EKU is due for his second dose next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Why? Shes the perfect candidate for it. Young, healthy, but probably in college or somewhere that she wants to socialize. Yeah, even if she gets it (COVID)she will probably be fine, but every infected person is a chance to pass it on and/or let it mutate, whereas if shes already immune it never takes root and will eventually die out. It's one of the big reasons we need to get high vax rates at colleges...

Edit... full disclosure: my 20 year old stepson at EKU is due for his second dose next week.
Your son will never be pregnant. I want her to wait to make sure there's no side effects for pregnancies, which hopefully will come later down the road for her.

Jul 12, 2007
I like how apparently our rights to recourse, if it kills us / effs us up .... have somehow been forfeited for us, by some politician somewhere.
I never realized that bureaucrats can cancel our basic human / constitutional / legal rights, to benefit each other.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I like how apparently our rights to recourse, if it kills us / effs us up .... have somehow been forfeited for us, by some politician somewhere.
I never realized that bureaucrats can cancel our basic human / constitutional / legal rights, to benefit each other.
more like politicians have preyed on their constituents’ ignorance and religious views to hold office.

it’s not a political thing. it’s a trusting science thing. i also don’t blame anti-vaxxers. this misinformation dates back to the beginning of time. all we can do is call out the BS for what it is.

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
more like politicians have preyed on their constituents’ ignorance and religious views to hold office.

it’s not a political thing. it’s a trusting science thing. i also don’t blame anti-vaxxers. this misinformation dates back to the beginning of time. all we can do is call out the BS for what it is.
I still blame them. You can hate and distrust politicians, fine. But they were never the ones you should have been listening to anyway. Then you listen to wackos on social media and you don't listen to real doctors and scientists? Ok, you lose. You get blamed. You did choose to believe somebody. At some point you have to either believe somebody or get truly educated enough to go solo. The latter is too difficult for just about everybody. So you choose anyway. And they chose. But they chose to believe in some wackos. Or to be a wacko themselves, either way. It's still worthy of blame.

Well, ok, there are some social stratifications unfortunately where I can see your point. Some people have just grown up with such a severe lack of education and exposure that your point stands. But if you can type in complete sentences and at least vaguely understand the world around you, like anybody here can, then there is no excuse. And most people do "trust science"... it's all around everybody in their everyday lives in countless ways. They just don't seem to realize it for some reason. Everything we do in our lives today, we are implicitly trusting in science. You drive a car? You get on your facebook account and use your cellphone? You eat/drink/breathe? Yeah, you are trusting science. It's just massively hypocritical not to do so on the subject of a single vaccine while conveniently ignoring everything else. People who do that are just letting themselves get played for somebody else's agenda.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i am with you a 100%. i just view it differently because i have family members that believe the shot is the “mark of the beast” or Biden is a communist and an anti-Christ. people don’t choose to be ignorant. they don’t even know that they are ignorant.

It’s a fascinating topic but mostly sad. there is nothing to bring back my family members from their just flat out crazy view points. we just have to try to stop others from believing the same crap too.

Reactions: adsfan and LCPreds

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i have tried every angle such as ones you are referencing. people trust science and don’t even know it.

car brakes you trust, right? of course, they do. they just don’t trust the parallels. it’s always a conspiracy theory w/ a large part of this country.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
i am with you a 100%. i just view it differently because i have family members that believe the shot is the “mark of the beast” or Biden is a communist and an anti-Christ. people don’t choose to be ignorant. they don’t even know that they are ignorant.

It’s a fascinating topic but mostly sad. there is nothing to bring back my family members from their just flat out crazy view points. we just have to try to stop others from believing the same crap too.
Ha, I need to show you my family some day. :) Maybe that is the reason I am so extreme the other way. Sometimes you come out with sympathy and understanding from that, and sometimes... it just puts you off even more. The "mark of the beast" hits closer to home here than you think! I literally heard that in my house just yesterday. :)

I guess I don't know what being tolerant and sympathetic and understanding really gets us, though. I've tried that at times. But in the end, no, I just can't manage it. If you give people a pass for their ignorance, it's just going to keep spiraling downwards from anything I've seen. Being an a$$hole about it like me doesn't change anything either, though. But at least it feels like something I'd rather fight for than just accept. Guess I'm just not smart enough to fight the best way, though. :(

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Was that even a sentence? Nobody has "cancelled" anything

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Was that even a sentence? Nobody has "cancelled" anything
I cancelled that post, whatever it was. But I am definitely full-on Team Cancel. That is not a pejorative term whatsoever afaic. Cancel that whole writhing mass of ignorance and stupidity, I say. Cancel it with extreme prejudice. Cauterize the wound. Burn it with fire. No more... ?mollycoddling?... zero tolerence for... ?malarkey?
:wally

Jul 12, 2007
I had heard that we can’t sue for adverse reactions. True ? False ?
I hope false, otherwise you’re not making sense with your snippy dismissal.
And really, hall / syntax monitor ?
I didn’t think you acted like that anymore.

(V) ...... since I forgot to quote.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I had heard that we can’t sue for adverse reactions. True ? False ?
I hope false, otherwise you’re not making sense with your snippy dismissal.
And really, hall / syntax monitor ?
I didn’t think you acted like that anymore.

(V) ...... since I forgot to quote.

Eh, I was just giving you shit for what sounded like inflammatory word salad.

Your rephrased question/statement is easier to respond to. The answer is you cant (and never have been able to) sue the government/FDA for problems with a drug. But you can certainly sue the manufacturer. Doesnt mean you will win, the burden of proof is pretty high, but you can definitely pursue redress through the courts.

However, this is a classic example of something that isnt true but sounds like it could be getting amplified and misrepresented via social media and the internet until it becomes, "well I heard that....."

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Things that made me a vaxxer.

When I was 9 my next door neighbor was a polio victim. In the 10 years between her and me, polio had become rare.

My cousin's cousin was pregnant. She came in contact with a non-vaccinated child with not yet diagnosed rubella. She was okay but her baby got rubella. When she was born she was a mess. Lots of problems.

Mr Adz almost died when our kids got chickenpox and passed it to him. No vaccine yet, he hadn't had it as a kid and it's rough for adults. While my kids were recuperating they released the vaccine.

I thought smallpox was like chicken pox, no big deal usually, just inconvenient. Then I saw a National Geographic story about what smallpox had been like. Those people were just one big pustule and looked absolutely miserable. And it had been eradicated.

At that point I became absolutely pro vaccine. I'll do it.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I know they do. I was specifically responding to his point about Tennessee and the COVID vaccine. Kentuckys deep red legislature is trying to do stupid shit regarding COVID too.

You left out the words "Commonwealth of" Kentucky. The US only has four such states.

Don't think that those two states have cornered on the market on legislative stupidity in these trying times. I am appalled by my own state.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
My mom who is almost 80, had a playmate die of tetanus when she was in grade school. Polio was a terrifying specter in the 40-50s, still kills and cripples people in parts of the Middle East. I had chicken pox, it sucked. Meningitis kills and maims.

The general populace has gotten complacent because we don’t see these diseases on a regular basis. They can’t be that bad, right? :shakehead

Most of my patients have been willing to get the vaccine and are happy we are offering it. A few do refuse. I try to educate and allow them their autonomy. And sad as it is, knowing someone who died from it, often helps determine if someone will get the vaccine.

There also preliminary reports of continued complications from the virus, the “long haulers”. Someone does not have to end up in the hospital on a ventilator to have lingering problems. We are going to be dealing with the consequences of this virus for many years.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Don’t get it twisted. I’m not anti vaccine. I just want more test subjects before I let my daughter take it. Completely rational.

Serious question. How many? We will shortly have over 100 million vaccinated in the US alone. At what point will you be satisfied?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Serious question. How many? We will shortly have over 100 million vaccinated in the US alone. At what point will you be satisfied?
How many of the 100m have already had babies after receiving the injection? Serious question. Has anyone reported any birth defects from it? Serious question.

Serious answer; Enough to feel comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad