OT: COVID-19 Megathread III (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
How many of the 100m have already had babies after receiving the injection? Serious question. Has anyone reported any birth defects from it? Serious question.

Serious answer; Enough to feel comfortable.

Understood. It will obviously be a minimum of a couple of years before any such data would be available.

But I would certainly take comfort in the fact that the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology(not in any way a government organization) has stated that both pregnant and lactating women can be safely vaccinated.

Reactions: triggrman

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Understood. It will obviously be a minimum of a couple of years before any such data would be available.

But I would certainly take comfort in the fact that the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology(not in any way a government organization) has stated that both pregnant and lactating women can be safely vaccinated.
See, that's good to know.

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
See, that's good to know.
One thing I don't quite understand... and sorry to seem to be picking on you Trig, but it's the example available here... why do people seem not to already know this info that Voldy provided? Why is there any distrust that this might not already be the case? How is that even a thing?

I'm an a$$hole wrt to this stuff, compared to the people who are more benevolently providing the necessary info, but I guess I still don't understand why this info still needs to be provided? Isn't it implicit/readily available to everybody already? :dunno:

It seems to be a Catch-22 atm... if government/media gets out the megaphone and pumps this info out, people just hunker down and say they don't trust government/media. Something is broken that shouldn't be so broken.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
One thing I don't quite understand... and sorry to seem to be picking on you Trig, but it's the example available here... why do people seem not to already know this info that Voldy provided? Why is there any distrust that this might not already be the case? How is that even a thing?

I'm an a$$hole wrt to this stuff, compared to the people who are more benevolently providing the necessary info, but I guess I still don't understand why this info still needs to be provided? Isn't it implicit/readily available to everybody already? :dunno:

It seems to be a Catch-22 atm... if government/media gets out the megaphone and pumps this info out, people just hunker down and say they don't trust government/media. Something is broken that shouldn't be so broken.
Seriously? I'm curious, are you a parent? I don't say this to be mean but don't you want to protect them as much as possible?

As to why I haven't studied how the vaccine works, I'd say mainly because I'm lazy. I use this site as my escape for work, and to kill what free time I have at work. I spent most of my time this morning writing a ptp and safety plan to replace a sump pump in a fiber well that has been designated a confined space, and in between that, I've posted on here.. I spend my evenings at a ball park, and there's not many places I'd rather be. Looking up how a vaccine works isn't near my list of priorities.

If you want to honestly know why she's waiting, it's because her doctor said since she's low risk, waiting to see more reports wouldn't be a bad precaution.

They absolutely have no idea every side effect that could come out from this, and to blindly trust what our government and media put out there is ignorant, imho. There's a reason more testing is usually required before FDA approval. My daughter, has already had covid, is not in a risk category at all, so waiting isn't hurting anything, especially with her still inside of 90 days.

Listen, you and I are not the same, likely disagree with more stuff than we agree on, outside of hockey. I lean conservative in my views but hate party politics or politics in general. I'm also a faithful Christian. I have trust issues with the government in general. So my world and yours are not the same.

If all of this makes your opinion of me lesser, than that's really a you issue.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Seriously? I'm curious, are you a parent? I don't say this to be mean but don't you want to protect them as much as possible?
3 kids but I tend to take the approach that I already raised them right and I think/hope/trust they are smarter than I am? :dunno: Can't imagine thinking I'd know better for them than they know for themselves. I can laugh at the goalie throwing away his dangler, but I wouldn't intervene. It's his life.
As to why I haven't studied how the vaccine works, I'd say mainly because I'm lazy. I use this site as my escape for work, and to kill what free time I have at work. I spent most of my time this morning writing a ptp and safety plan to replace a sump pump in a fiber well that has been designated a confined space, and in between that, I've posted on here.. I spend my evenings at a ball park, and there's not many places I'd rather be. Looking up how a vaccine works isn't near my list of priorities.

If you want to honestly know why she's waiting, it's because her doctor said since she's low risk, waiting to see more reports wouldn't be a bad precaution.

They absolutely have no idea every side effect that could come out from this, and to blindly trust what our government and media put out there is ignorant, imho. There's a reason more testing is usually required before FDA approval. My daughter, has already had covid, is not in a risk category at all, so waiting isn't hurting anything, especially with her still inside of 90 days.

Listen, you and I are not the same, likely disagree with more stuff than we agree on, outside of hockey. I lean conservative in my views but hate party politics or politics in general. I'm also a faithful Christian. I have trust issues with the government in general. So my world and yours are not the same.

Hey man, I don't know you at all except from a casual HFBoards interaction, I am just using this minimal HFBoards interaction as a surrogate for other people I do know better, no offense. (But "no offense" usually = "offense" in any practical scenario, of course!) So it's not really about you. I don't know you.

Let's say I'm a satanist, just because of how silly I feel christianity is in general, so religion is neither here nor there for me, it's just a crutch some people use, and while I think it would be absurd to "trust the government" (especially here) I do trust very much in science and the scientific method and the apparatus that has been built up around that into many of our health and safety processes in the modern world. It's not infallible, but it is a heckuvalot better than any random citizen off the street seems to appreciate, and it hasn't been completely destroyed yet by our pathetic top-level governments. I think anybody who turns this into an issue about trusting government is totally missing the boat. Forget government. You CAN trust science. It lives outside government. If you can find the time to listen to it.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'm certainly not being critical of trigg, but what I would expect most people with these concerns to do would be to talk to their OBGYN and get their advice regarding vaccination and future fertility.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I'm much sorer today and slept like a rock. Same response as my son and Mr. Adz, not quite as bad as Jailbait and certainly not as bad as Mr. Jailbait. I won't be doing any major digging in my garden today!

Reactions: bdub24

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
My shoulder (the other side) was a bit more sore than for #1, it started about 8 hours after injection and has mostly subsided now 24 hours later than first soreness. No other noticeable side effects. Did not take temperature because I had no indication of fever or anything else. I'm still going to wear a mask and physically distance myself out of respect for anyone I might come in contact with, plus I don't trust them. I went in a Tractor Supply store Saturday and I bet 90% of customers were mask-less and no one in line was 6 feet from the customer in front or behind them. I left without buying what I came for.

Reactions: bdub24

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
My shoulder (the other side) was a bit more sore than for #1, it started about 8 hours after injection and has mostly subsided now 24 hours later than first soreness. No other noticeable side effects. Did not take temperature because I had no indication of fever or anything else. I'm still going to wear a mask and physically distance myself out of respect for anyone I might come in contact with, plus I don't trust them. I went in a Tractor Supply store Saturday and I bet 90% of customers were mask-less and no one in line was 6 feet from the customer in front or behind them. I left without buying what I came for.
I think you're supposed to continue the regular precautions for 2 weeks after your second vaccination, anyway.

They did lift the outdoor mask requirement in Nashville unless you were in close quarters and couldn't distance.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010

Trigg, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Please don't feel defensive. Your take on the vax is shared by many and your hesitation in following government guidance is in our DNA as Americans. Science should be objective and believed, but we've contaminated it with corruption and politics to the point where good people don't know who's science is the truth. I read all sides of the scientific findings and there are legit disagreements in the way we've approached this virus and how we're navigating through it. We all care about society, our fellow man, and the health of ourselves and our families. We just go about it in different ways, which we all should respect. We've been lied to by so many for so long concerning so much, it should not surprise anyone that people are suspicious of motives and dissatisfied with results. The best you can do is inform yourself, read from many sources, use your reasoning, decide who you believe the experts are, and the best decision you can. I pray we can return soon to a place where people make personal, private health decisions and we stop getting into each other's grill concerning medical decisions. We co-exist in this world but if we forfeit our basic freedoms in the name of collective edicts for the greater good, then the institutions that decide what that greater good is, control our lives. All societies have laws and regulations for the greater good, but there's a checks-and-balances process to settle on those laws. Emergency Exec actions and rulings from institutions like the CDC and the WHO is a dangerous path and should only be used in the most extreme situations and for extremely short time periods. Those time periods have passed. Let us have our freedoms back, or pass real laws via our representatives. At least we'll have a fighting chance of getting control of our lives back.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
Johnson and Johnson vaccine paused today by fda.

Know 1 young woman trying to get pregnant, her ob said was up to her to decide whether to get a vaccine or not. She isn’t going to. They tell pregnant women to avoid chicken pox, mmr, shingles vaccines. But say flu and tdap are safe. Pretty confusing.

I’ve always gotten vaccines. But if I was a young woman I wouldn’t get a covid vaccine . Everyone needs to make their own personal risk assessment.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I think of the vaccines as separate entities. At a party there may be an array of nuts that most people have no problems with. Nuts are a healthy alternative to chips, right? But there are different types of nuts. Maybe you're highly allergic to peanuts and somewhat allergic to brazil nuts. If there are peanuts you avoid the entire tray of nuts, but if the array is only other nuts including brazil nuts you might simply pick around them. They're all still fine for those who are NOT allergic. Same with the vaccines. If you're pregnant, MMR is your peanut allergy--a LOT of pregnant women have had problems with spontaneous abortions and there are health concerns for the baby. For those who are not pregnant, the benefits outweigh the risks. Chickenpox vaccine is your Brazil nut. You avoid it, but you don't have to stay far far away from them. IF you're infected with the virus then it's probably best to go ahead and get vaccinated because the risk from pox is worse than the risks from the vaccine. Flu and tdap are your pecans and filberts. The encouragement to get the vaccine is as a preventive measure because exposure to those illnesses can cause serious complications in your pregnancy and to your baby after birth.

Reactions: PredsV82

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
The CDC just did more today for the anti-vax movement than any one person or group has done before.

If Vegas had lines on this, and I’m guessing they might, the over/under on whether we will ever reach true herd immunity just plummeted.

(yeah there’s plenty of hyperbole in there)

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
So far its' less than 1 in 1,000,000, literally (no not misused term). There is room before panic. I would not be surprised if many more of those same recipients died in car crashes since administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad