Speculation: Could changes be coming to Calgary?

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
When has brothers playing together actually done shit?

They just overshadow each other and play down to their abilities like the Schenns and Staals. Sedins aew the only exception and they're something way the f*** else

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
In reality, almost everything in Calgary would be available, somethings more than others. It just depends. Like. If you're going to want Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Hanifin or Andersson; be ready to hurt; outside of Gaudreau the other guys have control or longterm contracts.

If you're looking at Monahan, Giordano, Backlund... those costs will still be up there, but not like bleed you dry like the guys above.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Matthew tkachuk for Danault (signed) + Tatar (signed or not) + Caufield + 1st round pick 2021 + 1st round pick 2022
That’s a very dangerous trade for Montreal.
They are not a good team at all (despite the hot start). Those picks could turn out to be very high ones.

Reactions: Devonator

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean value is close for sure but I don’t think the Flames are going to trade for older assets if they go full rebuild and trade Tkachuk

I imagine it would be more than just Tkachuk out so maybe they bring Guentzel in as a top line six LW with cup pedigree.

I dunno I feel like the Burke connection would be something that could end up happening.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
In reality, almost everything in Calgary would be available, somethings more than others. It just depends. Like. If you're going to want Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Hanifin or Andersson; be ready to hurt; outside of Gaudreau the other guys have control or longterm contracts.

If you're looking at Monahan, Giordano, Backlund... those costs will still be up there, but not like bleed you dry like the guys above.

You state those 7 guys returns will "hurt" or be "up there"... of course, because that core has proven to be so valuable. Tkachuk is the only asset that should "hurt" in the return... I hate him but he is very effective as a winger and an agitator. Gaudreau and Andersson would get you good returns. The other names you mentioned is where the Flames and their fans would underwhelmed in the offers/returns and are likely to be of more value to the Flames than the rest of the league.

EDIT: You should also add Mangiapane as one of those assets where the return should "hurt"

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You state those 7 guys returns will "hurt" or be "up there"... of course, because that core has proven to be so valuable. Tkachuk is the only asset that should "hurt" in the return... I hate him but he is very effective as a winger and an agitator. Gaudreau and Andersson would get you good returns. The other names you mentioned is where the Flames anf their fans would underwhelmed in the offers/returns and are likely to be of more value to the Flames than the rest of the league.

Yeah. I’m sure Sean Monahan who scores 25+ goals a season is worth a second and a B prospect.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Yeah. I’m sure Sean Monahan who scores 25+ goals a season is worth a second and a B prospect.

I didn't say that... that would be a brutal return... but his value/return is not "up there" either. I guarantee you that, if the Flames decide to trade Monahan, the return will not please the Flames fans.

Monahan is not trending well...

2019/20
.68 pts/gp
1st line minutes but barely... very close in ES TOI/GP (15:12) to Backlund (14:57) and Lindholm (14:48)
highest PP TOI/GP on the team

2020/21
.73 pts/gp
2nd line C minutes (facing the weaker defensive pairs)...still close between the 3 though (Lindholm 14:50, Monahan 14:30, Backlund 13:08)
still highest PP TOI/GP on the team.

Not sure you can even call him a low end 1C any more... more like a 2C and 2.5 more years $6.4 in this economic climate... not sure what you think his return/value would be... I would be interested in your examples of expected returns for just Monahan.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I didn't say that... that would be a brutal return... but his value/return is not "up there" either. I guarantee you that, if the Flames decide to trade Monahan, the return will not please the Flames fans.

2019/20
.68 pts/gp
1st line minutes but barely... very close in ES TOI/GP (15:12) to Backlund (14:57) and Lindholm (14:48)

2020/21
.73 pts/gp
2nd line C minutes (facing the weaker defensive pairs)...still close between the 3 though (Lindholm 14:50, Monahan 14:30, Backlund 13:08)

Not sure you can even call him a low end 1C any more... more like a 2C and 2.5 more years $6.4 in this economic climate... not sure what you think his return/value would be... I would be interested in your examples of expected returns for just Monahan.

lol. Monahan will easily get a 1st or top prospect.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

2019/20
.68 pts/gp

2020/21
.73 pts/gp

Matt Duchene x2. Literally the same caliber centre.
Trade 1: 1st round pick, 2 top 60 picks from previous drafts that are heading in the correct direction, 2nd, 3rd
Trade 2: 2 first round picks, 2 prospects.

IF you don't think there's a single GM in the league that wouldn't put a call in if he was made available, you're kidding yourself. As a 1B guy, getting 25-30 goals is something people pony up for.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
lol. Monahan will easily get a 1st or top prospect.

I would agree there is a slim possibility of a late first to a contender.

Are we talking without retention? ...there are not many contenders that have that cap room in this economic climate.

If they are going to trade Monahan they better do it before they trade away Gaudreau because I fully expect an even bigger drop in production once that happens.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Matt Duchene x2. Literally the same caliber centre.
Trade 1: 1st round pick, 2 top 60 picks from previous drafts that are heading in the correct direction, 2nd, 3rd
Trade 2: 2 first round picks, 2 prospects.

IF you don't think there's a single GM in the league that wouldn't put a call in if he was made available, you're kidding yourself. As a 1B guy, getting 25-30 goals is something people pony up for.

Time will likely tell... I don't think so.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I would agree there is a slim possibility of a late first to a contender.

Are we talking without retention? ...there are not many contenders that have that cap room in this economic climate.

If they are going to trade Monahan they better do it before they trade away Gaudreau because I fully expect an even bigger drop in production once that happens.

Why is that? He produced prior to Gaudreau entering the league.

He's putting up a 60 point pace. Plenty of teams will trade a 1st for a top six center that regularly puts up 60 points.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Edmonton fan doesn't think Flames player worth a damn.
More at 11.

Wrong... I value Tkachuk, Lindholm, Mangiapane (reallly like) and Gaudreau.

I like Dube, Tanev and even think Backlund has some value.

Believe what you want but don't make things up.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Why is that? He produced prior to Gaudreau entering the league.

He was a more productive player then but he was a developing player.

I watch about 30-40 Flames games a year and have seen a decline in his overall play over the past couple of seasons. I feel the faster the game gets, the less effective Monahan is. The game is evolving.

Reactions: deleted user

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He was a more productive player then but he was a developing player.

I watch about 30-40 Flames games a year and have seen a decline in his overall play over the past couple of seasons. I feel the faster the game gets, the less effective Monahan is. The game is evolving.

He just had 8 points in 10 playoff games and is on pace for 60 points this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad