Speculation: Could changes be coming to Calgary?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I watch the games and feel most of his points are because of JG. He rarely plays without JG but his fancy stats are brutal without JG. He has very rarely impressed me.

His face off starts are fairly lopsided in favor of O-zone starts (57%) over the past couple of years. (500 OZ, 276NZ, 379DZ)

Neat. He is a center that regularly puts up 60 pts and is a big body. Plenty of teams will pay big for him. Columbus, Arizona, Minnesota, Anaheim, etc.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Neat. He is a center that regularly puts up 60 pts and is a big body. Plenty of teams will pay big for him. Columbus, Arizona, Minnesota, Anaheim, etc.

Cool. I guess time will tell... wouldn't be the first time I was wrong... but I am right way more often than I am wrong.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
lol. Monahan will easily get a 1st or top prospect.

He will, that's why they should trade him now at top value. His underlying numbers are pretty underwhelming. He kind of gets caved in without JG and doesnt produce much. JG does better without him

Hes a solid player and some GMs may still have this notion hes a 2 way center, or just stat watch. Those that do that will give up a good amount for him

I would never give up a high first or top prospect for him, but some GMs will

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Matt Duchene x2. Literally the same caliber centre.
Trade 1: 1st round pick, 2 top 60 picks from previous drafts that are heading in the correct direction, 2nd, 3rd
Trade 2: 2 first round picks, 2 prospects.

IF you don't think there's a single GM in the league that wouldn't put a call in if he was made available, you're kidding yourself. As a 1B guy, getting 25-30 goals is something people pony up for.

Matt Duchene is THE cautionary tale for why teams should not open up their wallets for one-dimensional centers. Yes, Monahan might net you 25-30 goals, but if he is on the ice for 60+ against, your team isn’t coming out ahead.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He was a more productive player then but he was a developing player.

I watch about 30-40 Flames games a year and have seen a decline in his overall play over the past couple of seasons. I feel the faster the game gets, the less effective Monahan is. The game is evolving.

Shocking. An Oilers fan coming into a Flames thread and devaluing a player when their biggest rival is struggling.

Monahan would bring back some excellent pieces because whenever a top 6 C hits the market, half the league is interested and then they end up bidding against each other. Monahan is also young, has draft pedigree and has an excellent contract.

You won’t find 1 Flames poster that will say Monahan is a perfect player, but he’s a very good one and is capable of scoring 30 year in year out. He would be highly sought after.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Matt Duchene is THE cautionary tale for why teams should not open up their wallets for one-dimensional centers. Yes, Monahan might net you 25-30 goals, but if he is on the ice for 60+ against, your team isn’t coming out ahead.

And you’ll still have 75% of the league willing to repeat it.
Centres have value. Ones that score have value. Each year we see teams trade 1st rounders for marginal talent at the deadline. For it to work out at most once a season and in many cases zero.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Shocking. An Oilers fan coming into a Flames thread and devaluing a player when their biggest rival is struggling.

Monahan would bring back some excellent pieces because whenever a top 6 C hits the market, half the league is interested and then they end up bidding against each other. Monahan is also young, has draft pedigree and has an excellent contract.

You won’t find 1 Flames poster that will say Monahan is a perfect player, but he’s a very good one and is capable of scoring 30 year in year out. He would be highly sought after.
Oiler fans should be the last fan base evaluating talent, let alone devaluing.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I see reading is something you all are struggling with, so let me help you out....

so Monahan is worth a second round pick. I’m guessing someone like Kailer Yamamoto’s value would be multiple first round picks.

See bolded above and something I had already posted below...

... and no, a young developing winger who is very difficult to play against, producing very well and is cost controller for quite a few more years is worth more than a late first.

Monahan's production is declining, he is not difficult to play against, makes $6.4AAV, is a free agent in 2.5 years and for a veteran tends to not show that he can not produce without one of the better wingers in the league.

I would agree there is a slim possibility of a late first to a contender.

Are we talking without retention? ...there are not many contenders that have that cap room in this economic climate.

If they are going to trade Monahan they better do it before they trade away Gaudreau because I fully expect an even bigger drop in production once that happens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See bolded above and see next post that was literally on the thread same page... I do value some Flames players. There are TWO players that Flames think are valuable that I personally feel are significantly over-valued by Flames fans.... Monahan and Hanafin.

Being capable of scoring 30 year in and year out and actually doing it is 2 different things... he has only achieved the 30 goal mark 3 out of 7 seasons... that is not year in and year out.

... but I guess you can go feel for yourselves that you think everyone is picking on you.

What you are claiming I am doing is something you do often in Oiler threads, so as wrong as your claim is, that would be a bit of the pot calling the kettle black, no? Point me to one positive thing you have ever said about an Oilers player while he was playing with the Oilers. I'll wait.

Wrong... I value Tkachuk, Lindholm, Mangiapane (reallly like) and Gaudreau.

I like Dube, Tanev and even think Backlund has some value.

Believe what you want but don't make things up.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I see reading is something you all are struggling with, so let me help you out....

See bolded above and something I had already posted below...

... and no, a young developing winger who is very difficult to play against, producing very well and is cost controller for quite a few more years is worth more than a late first.

Monahan's production is declining, he is not difficult to play against, makes $6.4AAV, is a free agent in 2.5 years and for a veteran tends to not show that he can not produce without one of the better wingers in the league.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See bolded above and see next post that was literally on the thread same page... I do value some Flames players. There are TWO players that Flames think are valuable that I personally feel are significantly over-valued by Flames fans.... Monahan and Hanafin.

Being capable of scoring 30 year in and year out and actually doing it is 2 different things... he has only achieved the 30 goal mark 3 out of 7 seasons... that is not year in and year out.

... but I guess you can go feel for yourselves that you think everyone is picking on you.

What you are claiming I am doing is something you do often in Oiler threads, so as wrong as your claim is, that would be a bit of the pot calling the kettle black, no? Point me to one positive thing you have ever said about an Oilers player while he was playing with the Oilers. I'll wait.

I do what often?

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Lindholm going back to wing means the Flames are once again in desperate need of a center upgrade.

Tkachuk + Valimaki/Hanifin + Monahan + 1st for Eichel + Reinhart

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
He was a more productive player then but he was a developing player.

I watch about 30-40 Flames games a year and have seen a decline in his overall play over the past couple of seasons. I feel the faster the game gets, the less effective Monahan is. The game is evolving.
This has been arguably been his best year in terms of “overall play” in awhile.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
When has brothers playing together actually done shit?

They just overshadow each other and play down to their abilities like the Schenns and Staals. Sedins aew the only exception and they're something way the f*** else
Neidermeyer’s with the Ducks - it’s not much but a Stanley Cup isn’t exactly shit.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Neidermeyer’s with the Ducks - it’s not much but a Stanley Cup isn’t exactly shit.

Scott remained Scott and Rob was a plug whose only value was to lure Scott in. Feel like Rob was let go pretty quickly after that

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Devils fan here.
What would the flames ask from the devils for Johnny ?
Untouchables are Nico , Hughes , Smith , Holtz , Mercer , Blackwood .

Has Monahan ever been played on the wing ? We need someone that can finish in our top 6

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Devils fan here.

Has Monahan ever been played on the wing ? We need someone that can finish in our top 6

you want one of the best players in the league and those are your untouchables. Lol

something around Zacha and Monahan maybe. You won’t get a sniff of Gaudreau.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Devils fan here.

Nico and Smith is probably the ask.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad