Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
In sweden, a suspected corona infected person called 911 and requested an ambulance with severe breathing problem, when the operator of connected with the ambulance, the female driver REFUSED to take the call because she had an 8 year old baby at home. Tells you the state of panic when ambulance drivers on duty refuse to help! I assume the ambulance driver will be reprimanded some way. They had to send a different ambulance to the patients home, the condition of the patient is unknown.

She should be fired. She's not doing her job.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
She should be fired. She's not doing her job.

Indeed. I am pretty certain the hospitals and ambulance drivers are not equipped to handle corona cases on the run - without preparation and prior warnings. The general message from authorities are: "Everything is good, there are no risks, no chance of virus spread, do not worry" etc.

A week ago they said: "There will be no corona virus in sweden". Then they changed it a week later to: "We dont know when and where the corona will first strike"

And now there have been corona cases in 4 different citys with Stockholm being the last city struck! The infection clinics claims they can only handle a few cases, they dont have equipment to handle a bigger outburst!

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Indeed. I am pretty certain the hospitals and ambulance drivers are not equipped to handle corona cases on the run - without preparation and prior warnings. The general message from authorities are: "Everything is good, there are no risks, no chance of virus spread, do not worry" etc.

A week ago they said: "There will be no corona virus in sweden". Then they changed it a week later to: "We dont know when and where the corona will first strike"

And now there have been corona cases in 4 different citys with Stockholm being the last city struck! The infection clinics claims they can only handle a few cases, they dont have equipment to handle a bigger outburst!

They should start preparing for the outbreak. I wonder how the SHL fares with the recent onslaught.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Older people die, who have serious health problems already in place. I find it very disheartening that there is a lot of discussion about the mortality rate and since it is low then there is no need to worry. Anyone who has an elderly person in their family or simply cares about it has an obligation to pay attention and measure words.

But that is no reason to panic.

Panic about this type of thing can cause a lot of problems that are going to hurt the usual expectations in hospitals and clinics around the world.

I'd imagine if you're a healtyh-ish person that you'll probably survive so don't worry.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
But that is no reason to panic.

Panic about this type of thing can cause a lot of problems that are going to hurt the usual expectations in hospitals and clinics around the world.

I'd imagine if you're a healtyh-ish person that you'll probably survive so don't worry.

Immune system, precisely speaking. Hockey players regularly exercise and eat in a healthy manner, so they are less likely to contract the virus.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Immune system, precisely speaking. Hockey players regularly exercise and eat in a healthy manner, so they are less likely to contract the virus.

Well, they might be more likely to contract the virus since they travel quite a bit compared to most of us.

I just mean that if you are a young and healthy person (meaning not already in a hospital of some sort, retirement home etc) you'll probably survive that shit.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Well, they might be more likely to contract the virus since they travel quite a bit compared to most of us.

I just mean that if you are a young and healthy person (meaning not already in a hospital of some sort, retirement home etc) you'll probably survive that shit.

Yeah, because, young people have healthy immune systems, as opposed to the elderly.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Yeah, because, young people have healthy immune systems, as opposed to the elderly.

I'm not sure. I'm not a doctor or an expert on this.

I just think you get a virus by touching it in some way, but if you're not already unhealthy you've got a good chance, while and old or sickly person might not make it and I'd imagine the majority of fatalities are people who weren't healthy in the first place (and I'm not talking about being fit, just general human health)

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I'm not sure. I'm not a doctor or an expert on this.

I just think you get a virus by touching it in some way, but if you're not already unhealthy you've got a good chance, while and old or sickly person might not make it and I'd imagine the majority of fatalities are people who weren't healthy in the first place (and I'm not talking about being fit, just general human health)

Via aerosol. Spit coming out of your mouth when talking, etc. That's why people wear masks to make sure they're not entering their mouths. It doesn't get transmitted by air.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
The estimated covid-19 mortality rate of 2-3% is about 20 to 30 times that of influenza, not 200 times, as has been mistakenly stated in this thread. That means roughly 20 to 30 deaths per 1,000 cases, versus 1 per 1,000, respectively.

This site has useful worldwide statistics that are updated frequently.

The fact that we have experienced no dramatic surge in cases in North America, similar to those in South Korea, Italy, and Iran, makes me cautiously optimistic that the NHL season will be unaffected, and, far more importantly, that the populace at large here will be spared widespread suffering.

Last edited:

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Canadian authorities are saying the risk is low and it can be prevented by frequent hand washing. They also have self reporting measures in place. No worries people!

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
comparing it to influenza, a disease that we criminally underestimate, as a reason for dismissing coronavirus is so dumb. it takes literally no effort to be concerned about both.

wash your damn hands, monitor your symptoms, and think critically because nobody worth anything is saying anyone should panic. Just be aware that the world is susceptible to natural threats, and maybe support funding their monitoring/mitigation

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Canada is just doing an awful job at preventing the potential outbreak of the disease. Very disappointed.

Canada is doing as good as any other country and in fact better than most. That's mainly because of resources.

I guess there's some out there that believe closing the border to any one, including citizens is a good idea.
There's infections in both Canada and the USA.
Are you advocating closing the border to US flights because they now have 2 cases of unknown origin?

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Canada is doing as good as any other country and in fact better than most. That's mainly because of resources.

I guess there's some out there that believe closing the border to any one, including citizens is a good idea.
Are you advocating closing the border to US flights because they now have 2 cases of unknown origin?

Just don't allow people from Northeast Asia, and you'll be fine.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009

I'll have to disagree with you there. The lack of testing kits, yeah that's a resource issue. I would close the border personally to countries with high incidences of the virus, like China, South Korea, Japan etc. I guess the government here doesn't want to appear "racist", but I don't see how that's the case when it's a practical matter. This is coming from someone born in China.

Even if closing the border is excessive, I have an issue with other protocols. People flying in from high-risk areas are not being screened enough. They literally just ask you if you have visited Wuhan recently and/or if you have come into contact with anyone who has been infected with the virus. My cousin returned from China 3 weeks ago (she has a Chinese passport) and that's all they asked her. If you say "no" and "no", they just let you pass through, even if you have a fever and respiratory symptoms,

For the new cases in Ontario, the patients have been sent home to be in self-isolation for two weeks. This is problematic in a few regards. First, this is entrusting that person to follow that protocol. Second, two weeks is not long enough. There have been cases where someone in quarantine for two weeks have infected others. (EDIT: look at the article above my post actually lol; my father is a physician and he was saying from the beginning that 2 weeks was not enough).

I'm a 3rd-year medical student rotating in the hospital, and a lot of the staff at my hospital is not happy how the government is dealing with this situation. The Canadian Nurses' Union in particular: Canadian nurses’ unions warn national standards for coronavirus protection too low - Victoria News

I have other family in the healthcare industry and if this thing breaks out, it's often healthcare workers who get hit particularly hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'll have to disagree with you there. The lack of testing kits, yeah that's a resource issue. I would close the border personally to countries with high incidences of the virus, like China, South Korea, Japan etc. I guess the government here doesn't want to appear "racist", but I don't see how that's the case when it's a practical matter. This is coming from someone born in China.

Even if closing the border is excessive, I have an issue with other protocols. People flying in from high-risk areas are not being screened enough. They literally just ask you if you have visited Wuhan recently and/or if you have come into contact with anyone who has been infected with the virus. My cousin returned from China 3 weeks ago (she has a Chinese passport) and that's all they asked her.

For the new cases in Ontario, the patients have been sent home to be in self-isolation for two weeks. This is problematic in a few regards. First, this is entrusting that person to follow that protocol. Second, two weeks is not long enough. There have been cases where someone in quarantine for two weeks have infected others.

I'm a 3rd-year medical student rotating in the hospital, and a lot of the staff at my hospital is not happy how the government is dealing with this situation. The Canadian Nurses' Union in particular: Canadian nurses’ unions warn national standards for coronavirus protection too low - Victoria News

I have other family in the healthcare industry and if this thing breaks out, it's often healthcare workers who get hit particularly hard.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that sees it this way. IMO they should've closed the borders some time ago, I am highly skeptical that they will get this under control anytime soon.

Reactions: Sonic Disturbance
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad