Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
If influenza A is your concern just get a flu shot, no need for paranoia.

Getting a flu shot is one thing, but right now, all we have for the SARS coronavirus is treatment of the symptoms. We are months away from test studies of a vaccination, and probably a year or so from public usage.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
We shall see, for China it's a matter of prestige so the resources are there. Last time around no vaccine for SARS could be completed at all. Either way a year does sound on the optimistic side if this vaccine is meant to be both effective and safe.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
If this virus doesn’t slow down once the weather becomes hotter, we could potentially be seeing a major recession being triggered. This will have a major impact on sporting events as seen with many Serie A games getting postponed and maybe even the Olympics.

Reactions: jd22

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
If this virus doesn’t slow down once the weather becomes hotter, we could potentially be seeing a major recession being triggered. This will have a major impact on sporting events as seen with many Serie A games getting postponed and maybe even the Olympics.

The recession's already started. Coronavirus spreads faster outside China as fears of U.S. impact hit markets

Pretty sure a lot of people are going to lose their jobs, including NHL staff. Only a matter of time before we see smaller and smaller crowds at games.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The flu also hits 10's of millions of people each year. If this virus impacted that many people we would be looking at casualties in the 100,000's if not higher. So it isn't really trivial or a flavor of the month. It is a virus that is easy to spread, has a potentially long incubation period, and a mortality rate of ~2% where as the flu mortality rate is ~.095%. The mortality rate in Iran of COVID-19 is 15%.

It becomes more difficult to calculate a mortality rate when the infection rate is uncertain and probably higher then reported.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I go back and forth between this will die out in the spring to this will be the biggest thing since Spanish Flu.

We decided to stock up on the prescriptions for our asthmatic son and get a little bit extra of non-perishable foods. I don't think this will be as bad as some people make it out to be but gives us the option to isolate ourselves if we get sick.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
It will be bad until you understand that the people to protect IN PRIMIS are elderly people with cardiorespiratory difficulties and immunosuppressed people. It will peak in two weeks and most countries have started taking the situation seriously a week late.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Spread the fear, we need more bloodbath on Wall Street. Looking to pickup some bargains.

Reactions: Exarz

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
I don't understand why people are panicking , the normal flu kills many people every year. 3000 out of 81000 isn't good but its not like everyone who gets it dies.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
I don't understand why people are panicking , the normal flu kills many people every year. 3000 out of 81000 isn't good but its not like everyone who gets it dies.

Older people die, who have serious health problems already in place. I find it very disheartening that there is a lot of discussion about the mortality rate and since it is low then there is no need to worry. Anyone who has an elderly person in their family or simply cares about it has an obligation to pay attention and measure words.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

If the same number of people who contracted the flu also contracted the coronavirus, the number would easily be in the 6 figure range, if not millions. It also spread much easier than the flu.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
COVID-19 is over 200% the mortality rate of seasonal flu. If it isn't contained properly, it is not unlikely it kills significantly more than the flu. Numbers coming in from China alone (the supposed origin of this virus) are roughly 52x lower than actual. It's not something to scoff at. More people dying from cancer doesn't mean you shouldn't wear your seatbelt.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
those of you licking your lips and watching the mkt bottom out, be wary
there's a big feeling out there that the bubble was about to burst anyways and it's just being amplified here with the panic selling...although if you do have any holdings that are very china-dependent/centric, yikes.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Is everyone who you care about in life under 30 and in good health?

If this virus becomes a pandemic, PEOPLE YOU KNOW WILL DIE from it. That's why people are panicking.

It is 200 times more deadly than the flu.

That is to say nothing of the millions that will need to be hospitalized. The medical system doesn't have the capacity to deal with that.

The flu doesn't require 10% of the people who contract it to be in intensive care.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
those of you licking your lips and watching the mkt bottom out, be wary
there's a big feeling out there that the bubble was about to burst anyways and it's just being amplified here with the panic selling...although if you do have any holdings that are very china-dependent/centric, yikes.

Yeah a good correction was long overdue. Let's see how low people are willing to go and how central banks react.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Bruh. 700m-1.4b people got the H1N1 flu in 2009. About a few hundred thousand died.

Assuming the numbers you posted about covid, 0.37% mortality, that ammounts to 37 million deaths if as many people get this as they got h1n1.
Also, covid is more contageous than the flu.

Not trying to sound the panic alarm bells because it's still super early and we don't know the exact rates and factors involved, but blowing off as no worse than the seasonal flu is stupid. This is a serious matter that requires serious attention.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
This is a much different situation than any flu bug that's gone around. We are seeing hardly any real unaltered footage in China, they're not letting it get out. Collapses aplenty

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
This is a much different situation than any flu bug that's gone around. We are seeing hardly any real unaltered footage in China, they're not letting it get out. Collapses aplenty

China's not admitting their flaws, definitely. There's a chance that 2022 Beijing Olympics might be cancelled, too.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
In sweden, a suspected corona infected person called 911 and requested an ambulance with severe breathing problem, when the operator of connected with the ambulance, the female driver REFUSED to take the call because she had an 8 year old baby at home. Tells you the state of panic when ambulance drivers on duty refuse to help! I assume the ambulance driver will be reprimanded some way. They had to send a different ambulance to the patients home, the condition of the patient is unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad