Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alkalinesky

Feb 13, 2019
If there was any time to stop watching conspiracy videos on YouTube and posting random articles on sketchy web hosts, this is it. Listen to the WHO, the health experts, and the medical community.

The fatality rate for this disease so far is reported at about 3%. That's significantly higher than both SARS and swine flu. The unknowns are worrisome, especially asymptomatic transmission times and incubation periods. However, there is still time to control the spread through surveillance, quarantine, and healthy habits like hand washing. It's concerning, but no reason to panic yet.

I wouldn't go on a cruise right now. But I'd still go to a hockey game. Be smart, but don't panic. (This advice is of course location-specific). And definitely expect supply chain disruptions and market corrections, which were overdue anyway. That's my take.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Not sure how much truth is to this story

But, in the comment section from people claiming to be hospital staff, they seem to agree with the video. If this is true, then Sabres players could possibly contract this and spread it through the whole league.

No matter what, I wouldn't go to any crowded places (like a hockey game) right now.

"some people crossing the border from Canada do have the coronaVirus"

LOL Why does that not surprise me? He's probably one of the Americans that still believe that the 9-11 terrorists came through Canada or the BIGGLY power outage a few years back was Canadas fault.

In the video he says his wife is a health care worker testing people for the virus and isn't allowed to wear any protective clothing.
Well, duh, if that was my wife, I would expect her to quit her job. If it was true (it's not) then she is part of the problem, she could spread the virus.

The guys an idiot.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
If there was any time to stop watching conspiracy videos on YouTube and posting random articles on sketchy web hosts, this is it. Listen to the WHO, the health experts, and the medical community.

The fatality rate for this disease so far is reported at about 3%. That's significantly higher than both SARS and swine flu. The unknowns are worrisome, especially asymptomatic transmission times and incubation periods. However, there is still time to control the spread through surveillance, quarantine, and healthy habits like hand washing. It's concerning, but no reason to panic yet.

I wouldn't go on a cruise right now. But I'd still go to a hockey game. Be smart, but don't panic. (This advice is of course location-specific). And definitely expect supply chain disruptions and market corrections, which were overdue anyway. That's my take.

Don't agree with listening to the WHO part as they are highly corrupt. They said from early on till now that travel bans to/from China wasn't necessary. Guess how many countries' governments actually listened to them?

Also, this virus is way more dangerous than both SARS and MERS because it's highly highly contagious (unlike the other 2). Most people getting this might develop a cold from it at worst. But, these people can easily spread it to others who are more vulnerable. There was a girl, in her early 20's, who got this and it only gave her a cold. However, she gave this to her other 5 family members, who all developed pneumonia from it.

Anyways, I say stay away from all crowded places for now. There's guaranteed to be more than the reported cases in N. America.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
There's no way we get through this season without games being cancelled. No chance.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
"some people crossing the border from Canada do have the coronaVirus"

LOL Why does that not surprise me? He's probably one of the Americans that still believe that the 9-11 terrorists came through Canada or the BIGGLY power outage a few years back was Canadas fault.

In the video he says his wife is a health care worker testing people for the virus and isn't allowed to wear any protective clothing.
Well, duh, if that was my wife, I would expect her to quit her job. If it was true (it's not) then she is part of the problem, she could spread the virus.

The guys an idiot.

I agree with you for the most part. The way he presents in his video does make him a bit sketchy. However, it is both the comment section and the fact that there are so very few cases in N. America that makes the # of reported cases very suspicious. As someone already mentioned, there were/are very few people even tested for the virus in N. America since this blew up.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

SARS fatality rate was around 10%. COVID-19 is significantly more dangerous than influenza viruses, though. That being said, calculating an accurate fatality rate at this point is not possible. We've no clue about the actual amount of infected and dead in China. People with mild illness and people who die at home are not recorded.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Where do I order the most effective surgical masks? I figured its better to stock up now, before chaos ensumes and they are all sold out.

Last edited:

Alkalinesky

Feb 13, 2019
SARS fatality rate was around 10%. COVID-19 is significantly more dangerous than influenza viruses, though. That being said, calculating an accurate fatality rate at this point is not possible. We've no clue about the actual amount of infected and dead in China. People with mild illness and people who die at home are not recorded.

Excellent point. My math is only based on what's been reported.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Where do I order the most effective surgical masks? I figured its better to stock up now, before chaos ensumes and they are all sold out.
Health experts have been saying that these masks probably don't make a difference, unless you want to be prepared to not spread the disease in case you get it.

Wash your hands.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail

I went to a PPE clothing place yesterday looking for the non-disposable respirator masks and goggles. These places still have these types of masks in stock. These masks will be great for someone who needs to take care of someone with the virus. I was lucky yesterday as the place I went to got 4 boxes of N95 disposable masks (20 masks each box) just shipped to them. They only cost $30 CAD a box, which is a lot less than what you would find on Ebay, Craigslist, Amazon, etc.. Of course, I bought all 4 boxes along with my reusable respirator mask and goggles.

Anyways, your local Craigslist is probably your only speedy option, but watch out for scammers. Prices will be high though.

Hmm... I wonder how many people will be wearing masks at hockey games now. I haven't seen anyone wearing one on TV yet....

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
Healrth experts have been saying that these masks probably don't make a difference, unless you want to be prepared to not spread the disease in case you get it.

Wash your hands.

If your eyes aren't protected and you're always touching stuff and then touching your face before thoroughly washing your hands, then yeah. N95 masks are only effective in prevention for your nose/mouth area if worn properly. Surgical masks are pretty much useless unless you're the sick one wearing them as to prevent others from catching your illness.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
If your eyes aren't protected and you're always touching stuff and then touching your face before thoroughly washing your hands, then yeah. N95 masks are only effective in prevention for your nose/mouth area if worn properly. Surgical masks are pretty much useless unless you're the sick one wearing them as to prevent others from catching your illness.
Even an N95 mask is only good for some hours. They get wet and lose their effectiveness. Every single health care professional I have heard talking about this has said that they do not make a difference for a normal person. The masks should be saved for health care workers.

Don't take my word for it. CDC guideline:

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Last edited:
Reactions: NomadicCanadian

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Even a mask N95 is only good for some hours. They get wet and lose their effectiveness. Every single health care professional I have heard talking about this has said that they do not make a difference for a normal person. The masks should be saved for health care workers.

Plus there are currently a lot of counterfeit N95 masks entering the market, so if you don't know what you are doing you can do more harm than good to yourself wearing one.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
With several Mod edits being made to this thread today, I'm now compelled to post a note like the last thread I had to do the same.

Drive this conversation back to the impacts on the NHL or we'll have to close this one too.

Reactions: mouser

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Some soccer games in Europe and Japan have been cancelled due to the virus. I wonder how the NHL would deal with it if there was a cluster in a city with a team. They could play the game without any fans in the stands, but would lose out on valuable gate revenue.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
As far as how this would affect interactivity, the greatest risk is misinformation and fear. Common sense is lost during times of hysteria, so I think people should still go to sporting events. You just got to not act like an idiot and go if you don't feel well.

... which is what you would normally do if you have the cold or flu.

It's funny (but not in a ha-ha way) that we trivialize the flu, which kills tens of thousands annually, but freak out over some flavor of the month disease, which while dangerous, has only killed 2,700 people but has had ten times as many recoveries so far in confirmed cases.

Reactions: TSN CAMERA

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
As far as how this would affect interactivity, the greatest risk is misinformation and fear. Common sense is lost during times of hysteria, so I think people should still go to sporting events. You just got to not act like an idiot and go if you don't feel well.

... which is what you would normally do if you have the cold or flu.

It's funny (but not in a ha-ha way) that we trivialize the flu, which kills tens of thousands annually, but freak out over some flavor of the month disease, which while dangerous, has only killed 2,700 people but has had ten times as many recoveries so far in confirmed cases.

Misinformation works both ways. There are people who have it that don't even show symptoms for weeks and yes they're still contagious. "CDC believes at this time that symptoms of COVID-19 may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 days after exposure. Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this with this new coronavirus. " Everywhere around the world countries are planning on shutting down EVERYTHING, there's no way the NHL will be any different (that alone should be more telling than all the "Flu is worse" copy paste news reports).

You could use that same argument for just about anything and it's silly e.g. 1.25 million people die per year from car accidents! The flu is already known about, this is a largely unknown virus and people fear the unknown. What I do know (if the numbers aren't a lie) is that 15% of the detected cases are either in critical condition or dead and these are people who are going to get the best care they can get. That's an extremely high number any way you slice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino