Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
You're going to need to elaborate here. I'm not going through hoops to cater to your argument.

You mentioned that the flu is of greater concern and I elaborated on this point because it's not accurate in the instance these viruses spread drastically. People said the same thing when Ebola was in the news. Is the flu deadlier than Ebola?

The way you're acting, literally any disagreement with your opinion would be interpreted as fear-mongering.

I did in the first post you quoted, he said 1 in six of everyones family and friends is going to be in the hospital for months and everybody is going to start dying,

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I did in the first post you quoted, he said 1 in six of everyones family and friends is going to be in the hospital for months and everybody is going to start dying,
I'm done with you. You've done this throughout the thread and honestly far more interesting conversation is to be had elsewhere. If you're worried about this virus all of the information you require is available on the WHO website and Twitter account.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Is there an age breakdown of the fatalities?

they haven't been giving in depth age data to the public
but the quoted line of this article suggests it's hitting the elderly the hardest.

ICU doctors in China bear the brunt as coronavirus causes rapid deterioration in patients

Clinical records show that the average age of infected patients is 56 while those entering the ICU average 66, indicating older people are more vulnerable to the virus.

also the article is must read for anyone following the outbreak.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
[edit]
So Wikipedia says the doctor may have gotten infected from someone who worked at the seafood market that the virus originated in which gave him an "increased viral load" which is apparently bad. Not educated enough to know if that's a thing that can happen or not. Also says he received the best possible treatment.
viral load is essentially the concentration of the virus in fluid (e.g., blood, mucus, sneeze/cough fluid). one could expect that the longer someone is infected and untreated, a virus will multiply and become more concentrated and generally is then harder to treat. my understanding though is that a lot of factors in the transmission of this virus are still unknown. a real danger is when treatment results in mutation, so far this seems to be relatively stable (and thus, easier to detect and presumably treat).

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder what other, more vital items might be affected by the situation eventually.. like types of foods? Medical supplies? Medication? A co-worker was telling me his blood pressure medication is on "back order" at every pharmacy in the area (not sure why) and that got me thinking of how serious that'd get for a larger period of time or wider area.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I know cruise ships are basically floating petri dishes but the infection rates seem exceptionally high.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Coronavirus live updates: Death toll surpasses 1,000 in mainland China - CNN

Death toll exceeds 1000. Confirmed cases above 43k.

Article also looks at three cruise ships impacted by Coronavirus. Diamond Princes (quarantined in Japan) has more than 100 confirmed cases, including more than two dozen Americans.
Each Cruise ship is carrying over 3000 people (including staff). The percentage of the people infected would be 100/3000 = 1/30 which is 3% infected (less cause the number of people on the cruise ships is higher than 3K).

It's tough for those on board, especially the elderly.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I wonder what other, more vital items might be affected by the situation eventually.. like types of foods? Medical supplies? Medication? A co-worker was telling me his blood pressure medication is on "back order" at every pharmacy in the area (not sure why) and that got me thinking of how serious that'd get for a larger period of time or wider area.

Back when the swine flu was the virus of the year...I was following the situation closely because porcine population was being affected. In Canada we never reached a critical point but pharmacies did receive memos to start and ration insulin distribution (most types are using pigs as main source of the drug).

As a Type 1 diabetic this was something that if it happened could have had major issues.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Each Cruise ship is carrying over 3000 people (including staff). The percentage of the people infected would be 100/3000 = 1/30 which is 3% infected (less cause the number of people on the cruise ships is higher than 3K).

It's tough for those on board, especially the elderly.
indeed

plus people are crowded together in cruises , especially getting on and off the boats. A recipe for disaster

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
In our connected world any type of deadly illness regardless of percentages will have economic and transportation impact.

I personally think given the mass travel professional athletes go on, if even a handful of starters in NBA/NHL came down with this hard there would be decisions made.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
In our connected world any type of deadly illness regardless of percentages will have economic and transportation impact.

I personally think given the mass travel professional athletes go on, if even a handful of starters in NBA/NHL came down with this hard there would be decisions made.

I'm sure the virus will subside by this year or the next.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

I don't think this virus would have much of an effect on a young healthy athlete. 80% of cases are just regular cold or flu symptoms and it's only severe or deadly for elderly people or those with immune disorders.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
FWIW, they are now reporting "cases" in Wuhan area where folks have symptoms, but haven't yet been confirmed as having the virus (added 15K yesterday).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Being based in Mexico, Warrior could get a lot of new business.

Thinking that CCM, Bauer and True may investigate moving production out of China.

Reactions: Fixxer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad