OT: Coronavirus XXXV: Y'all Got Any More of Them Vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Its terrible to say, but most jurisdictions in the world have had something like covid death wards where people were not expected to recover. Those extremely severe poor prognosis cases were not in ICU for several months at a time. They were in another ward, and still getting care, but not expected to recover.

Ethically in Alberta, we have made the decision NOT to have that nature of transfer of any patients, they are remaining in ICU beds. Its an ethical quandary that most jurisdictions have not even had the good fortune, or luxury, to consider, they just ended up with the death ward decisions out of sheer necessity.

But if you're saying that 4.2M people cannot resume more normal lives because of that, it becomes some other kind of thing.

I'm not saying one way or the other what to do with extremely ill patients, its just that you can't restrict a whole province on that basis.
edited for sanity sake.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
are you advocating triaging cases based on life expectancy? thats against all current medical ethics and reserved for overwhelmed over extended circumstances, its not a badge of honour, this is akin to its okay for grandma to die for the economy.

This is not what developed nations with healthcare when other options are available. suck it up and live some restrictions. People deserve all medical help needed to live. If you are arguing the death/virus count is low enough to begin opening and in another breath saying we should let people die so the ICU numbers can down

I don't even know to say. It's not an ethical quandary, its clear you don't work in healthcare and its clear you aren't close with anyone who does, those are shocking words hear from a citizen of a developed nation.

Its what most jurisdictions around the world have had to do. Where the life decisions have had to be made. Note I didnt say one way or the other, and I approached the post as sensibly and even compassionately as I could. Again I'm fine with all patients remaining in Covid ICu care and receiving every possible life saving benefit, I even stated that in the original post, that is fine, but the difference is you can't continue to justify lockdown because we still have 112 ICU cases due to retaining every poor prognosis case. get it?

Its the justification to keep things closed BECAUSE we still have the ICU numbers we do I take issue with. Open up the ICU field hospital buffer at Butterdome if required. They already have that all setup. The province probably shouldn't keep telling us that ICU isn't down, so we can't open.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I'm confused. I just looked and I see a death total on the front page of CNN.

What is there to be confused about? The earth is flat and green oil is the future! Everything but the meme on my facebook feed is a lie. I’ve never read a book (but I still know everything!)

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Its what most jurisdictions around the world have had to do. Where the life decisions have had to be made. Note I didnt say one way or the other, and I approached the post as sensibly and even compassionately as I could. Again I'm fine with all patients remaining in Covid care and recieving every possible life saving benefit, I even stated that in the original post, that is fine, but the difference is you can't continue to justify lockdown because we still have 112 ICU cases. get it?
I edited the post because I didn't my get point across the way I wanted and couldn't find the words that I wanted to say. but suffice it to say, they did so and didn't limit the scope of restrictions or lockdown, they did it because they had no other choice. we currently have the choice. If you open up again and let things get back to normal its possible that the outcome would be such as you say. The virus is still out there and it still making people too sick. Its not the time to relax. Ontario is doing well comparatively and the lockdown we are going through right now is helping tremendously. people are complaining but at xmas time the cases were insane here. the lock down was and is still needed since people could not be trusted to follow guidelines.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I edited the post because I didn't my get point across the way I wanted and couldn't find the words that I wanted to say. but suffice it to say, they did so and didn't limit the scope of restrictions or lockdown, they did it because they had no other choice. we currently have the choice. If you open up again and let things get back to normal its possible that the outcome would be such as you say. The virus is still out there and it still making people too sick. Its not the time to relax. Ontario is doing well comparatively and the lockdown we are going through right now is helping tremendously. people are complaining but at xmas time the cases were insane here. the lock down was and is still needed since people could be trusted to follow guidelines.

The real problem is your last sentence. Albertans can’t be trusted to behave in their own best interest. They suck on the exhaust pipe of the Russo-Sino-Con meme machine. They don’t have enough brain cells left to defend themselves. Look, I’m from Fort McMurray, we’re FUBAR. The ones who are sensible won’t be offended by what I’m saying. The ones who will be vocal and upset are the root of the problem. Probably the same ones that piss on the seat at the gas station and dont wash their hands. I’m not going to shit on them for a lack of compassion and understanding. I’m shitting on them for shooting themselves in the foot. It’s just dumb shortsighted rhetoric and behaviour. Alberta should get first dibs on the vaccine because they’re defenceless in the face of the ‘information war’. Imagine how much more freedom we would have if there weren’t always a lowest common denominator to fluff things up. Might even be an Autobahn between Edmonton and Calgary by now. But you can’t let kids run around the house with sharp scissors all day.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I edited the post because I didn't my get point across the way I wanted and couldn't find the words that I wanted to say. but suffice it to say, they did so and didn't limit the scope of restrictions or lockdown, they did it because they had no other choice. we currently have the choice. If you open up again and let things get back to normal its possible that the outcome would be such as you say. The virus is still out there and it still making people too sick. Its not the time to relax. Ontario is doing well comparatively and the lockdown we are going through right now is helping tremendously. people are complaining but at xmas time the cases were insane here. the lock down was and is still needed since people could not be trusted to follow guidelines.

To be clear I would go back to targeted restrictions in the interim. Some opening up of things and followups to how that is going. I would like to see neighborhood numbers go down to the 100 range, or lower, and we're pretty close to that. Might take another week or two. We're confounded by the delays in vaccines as well of course. We would be having more susceptible populations protected, and thereby less severe cases going forward.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The real problem is your last sentence. Albertans can’t be trusted to behave in their own best interest. They suck on the exhaust pipe of the Russo-Sino-Con meme machine. They don’t have enough brain cells left to defend themselves. Look, I’m from Fort McMurray, we’re FUBAR. The ones who are sensible won’t be offended by what I’m saying. The ones who will be vocal and upset are the root of the problem. Probably the same ones that piss on the seat at the gas station and dont wash their hands.
I had to edit my post. People cannot be trusted to follow guidelines. I firmly believe that if people could be trusted to follow the guidelines the lock downs wouldn't be needed, but people still go out with friends, still shop too much and still have issues with masks. People are working against their own self interests. Then they have the gall to claim that their freedoms ( which are not guaranteed, especially in a health crisis/emergency) are being infringed upon. over 40% of ontarians said they ignored health and gathering restrictions during the holidays. That behaviour is why restrictions are the way they are. Its bad apples ruining it for everyone. Smaller populated areas got away with being able to resist more based on geography and population density, but its there now and kinda slowing down, but still getting people sick. The time for half measures are over, just get it done, increase testing, increase vaccinations, are restrictions and be done with it. There is no delicate balance to be struck, trying to find one is only stretching everything out. No politicians have the balls to get done what needs to be done though.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
why not? the "Christmas bump" never happened...the "New Year's bump" never happened
the largest mall in North America was open the entire Holiday season and cases have been coming down in the beginning of December
and now more things like salon and tattoo parlours are opening up the "bumps" aren't coming
I think people are doing exactly what the government is asking

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
why not? the "Christmas bump" never happened...the "New Year's bump" never happened
the largest mall in North America was open the entire Holiday season and cases have been coming down in the beginning of December
and now more things like salon and tattoo parlours are opening up the "bumps" aren't coming

I have some hope still that you might be right but we’re definitely the slowest learners here. Well, maybe Quebec too.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
im in Ontario, the holiday bump most definitely happened here, we went from 1.2k cases dec 18th to 3.5k cases jan 7.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
The real problem is your last sentence. Albertans can’t be trusted to behave in their own best interest. They suck on the exhaust pipe of the Russo-Sino-Con meme machine. They don’t have enough brain cells left to defend themselves. Look, I’m from Fort McMurray, we’re FUBAR. The ones who are sensible won’t be offended by what I’m saying. The ones who will be vocal and upset are the root of the problem. Probably the same ones that piss on the seat at the gas station and dont wash their hands. I’m not going to shit on them for a lack of compassion and understanding. I’m shitting on them for shooting themselves in the foot. It’s just dumb shortsighted rhetoric and behaviour. Alberta should get first dibs on the vaccine because they’re defenceless in the face of the ‘information war’. Imagine how much more freedom we would have if there weren’t always a lowest common denominator to fluff things up. Might even be an Autobahn between Edmonton and Calgary by now. But you can’t let kids run around the house with sharp scissors all day.
There is an autobahn between Edmonton and calgary except to many f***tards hang out in the left lane.

Reactions: Oilhawks

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Fair points. And I suspect the government agrees with you, and is heading in the direction you suggest, probably in the next week. It is interesting on social media that is seems like 1/2 the people hate the Alberta Govt's COVID response because of too many restrictions, and 1/2 hate them because they want more and longer restrictions. Whatever the decision is, the outrage will be very audible.
Stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don’t blame Kenney for laying low.

Reactions: bellagiobob

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Whatever.

All I know is that while I do care about others' health, I'm sick of the goalposts being changed, and I'm especially sick of these almighty politicians, celebrities, and "experts" who seem to be more concerned with fear mongering and flexing their power than they are with pursuing the wellbeing of the working class and society.

At this point, having moved to the USA for work in 2019, I don't know if I'll ever see my immediate family again. I don't know if I'll ever be back in Edmonton or my hometown again.

And I'm just one person. So many others are struggling with these questions and worse: "Will I ever be able to support my family? Will I lose my business or my home?"

I expect the suicide rate is going to claim more victims then COVID will when all is said and done.

Any high and mighty politician who thinks this existence ought to be sustainable is a sick and twisted individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad