OT: Coronavirus XXXV: Y'all Got Any More of Them Vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
The mental health consequences of this pandemic and the restrictions in place should in no way be downplayed. They will surely be significant, but you are talking about number which differ almost by an order of magnitude here. When all things are said and done this would mean that the suicide rate in the US would be at last 10 times the current level.

"the projected suicide rates per 100,000 increased to 14.0 in 2020 and 13.6 in 2021, resulting in 2114 excess suicides in 2020-2021."

This is compared to 2018-2019. Then you've also got to consider lack of proper health care because many hospitals are limiting procedures, my aunt died back in December of something that rarely ever happens and could've been prevented. Then homelessness, many shelters are closed so there's more to the toll. Finally you've got drug overdoses which have increased massively, a 19-year old relative of mine overdosed (fentanyl) and passed away just before New Years. There's a lot to consider, that and how many outbreaks there have been in old age homes etc.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
66% against getting infected and getting sick, 100% against being hospitalized or dying.

Good enough for me. I'll take it, seeing the cluster**** we're seeing in europe with vaccine deployment... Approve it, get the doses and get on with it.

yep, this vaccine is looking better than those initial reports. A lot of this as well is just how the trials were conducted, who was in the trials, how many, and how susceptible people were within those trials. of course you can get widely different efficacy numbers just due to methodology. I would actually think Johnson and Johnson are probably just coming clean more, and Pfizer and Moderna might have maximized their results. 95% seems pretty high.

Bottomline is if this is effective with limiting severity I would take it, damn straight I would take it. Thats the bottomline for me as well as reducing infection and stopping the pandemic.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Good thing my finger isn't anywhere near the button if this type of thing actually happened. If I'm dying, someone is going with me. In such a scenario why leave the spoils for the victor?

lmao, I love you. This all could've been avoided if we pushed the button much sooner, of course then we'd be dealing with nuclear holocaust, but I've played all the fallout and zombie games so I'm pretty sure I'd survive.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Would still be a game changer and end the pandemic if everybody had it. I mean small numbers would still circulate but it would be a lot harder for the virus to spread.

At the rate Canada is going, I'm guessing not even 1/2 the population will be vaccinated by the end of 2021, even with all the options. Like I said before, my parents got it in less than a month being in Florida, they called in and got two of their neighbors appointments as well. We're not even vaccinating doctors in their 70's yet.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
"the projected suicide rates per 100,000 increased to 14.0 in 2020 and 13.6 in 2021, resulting in 2114 excess suicides in 2020-2021."

This is compared to 2018-2019. Then you've also got to consider lack of proper health care because many hospitals are limiting procedures, my aunt died back in December of something that rarely ever happens and could've been prevented. Then homelessness, many shelters are closed so there's more to the toll. Finally you've got drug overdoses which have increased massively, a 19-year old relative of mine overdosed (fentanyl) and passed away just before New Years. There's a lot to consider, that and how many outbreaks there have been in old age homes etc.
not even mentioning drug overdoses which are on the rise

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
They haven't even been able to organize, standardize, or clarify, or monitor returning travellers even getting tests. Theres no way they'll e able to enforce this, or ensure any adherence. Really they won't this is window dressing nothing all day. Hands up who believes this will actually occur and with everybody?

Just some noise to deflect attention away from the failure to procure the vaccine. Another move among many that is way too late, and should have been made months ago. And travel to many other countries other than the Caribbean ones should have been a priority a long time ago. It’s like Tambo is the PM. Mr Dithers 2.0.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Just some noise to deflect attention away from the failure to procure the vaccine. Another move among many that is way too late, and should have been made months ago. And travel to many other countries other than the Caribbean ones should have been a priority a long time ago. It’s like Tambo is the PM. Mr Dithers 2.0.

Actually, just announced today, the new travel restrictions will require testing and people to stay in designated hotels that will cost people at least $2000. This is from Trudeau, if they actually enforce it is beyond me.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I dont even have to watch and I know the smug look on JT's face, the "moving forward" gesticulating, the calm reassuring voice and cadenced platitudes. Acting 101

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
With those percentages though, you're still going to be wearing a mask and social distancing for a long, long time.

I would when grocery shopping, using public bathrooms, and I'm going to be limiting dinners in restos, more take outs, more patio dining whenever we can.

This is just a thing but I'm very prone to respiratory infection. Colds, Flu (I normally get shots) even bronchitis. Its been great actually not having contracted anything for the 14months. Could be the longest period I've gone with never having a cold or anything at all. It feels great. I'll do what I can just to limit some of the crap you catch in this climate, mostly in our winters. To me its a bit more than just stopping pandemic. We've stopped flu, with kicked the shit out of the common cold, heh. I'll wear a mask once in awhile just to limit all the crap one catches in public indoor places.

One thing its really driven home is that really hardly anything gets contracted out doors. We never wear masks outdoors. Would seem silly to do. my nose runs in the cold, heh. that would be messy as a scarf..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
"We're here for you" I wonder how many times he's said that in 2020 alone? I bet I could put together a 48 min compilation video.

Some tech is in a room somewhere just splicing sound, lights and vision and getting this all right all day. Deepfake PM productions tbh I wouldn't know the difference, he says the same things about everything. "moving forward".. 100 words would capture almost everything. Seen the same speech and peering deep eyes about everything.

"WE had a deep and meaningful talk about the pipeline and feel that things are moving forward in positive directions and with strong recognition of the ties that bind us as nations. we stressed the importance of these projects and further to getting further talks to further talks.."

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Some tech is in a room somewhere just splicing sound, lights and vision and getting this all right all day. Deepfake PM productions tbh I wouldn't know the difference, he says the same things about everything. "moving forward".. 100 words would capture almost everything. Seen the same speech and peering deep eyes about everything.

"WE had a deep and meaningful talk about the pipeline and feel that things are moving forward and with strong recognition of the ties that bind us as nations. we stressed the importance of these projects and further to getting further talks to further talks.."

"So we're giving $200 million to Africa to teach them how to use proper gender pronouns"

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Actually, just announced today, the new travel restrictions will require testing and people to stay in designated hotels that will cost people at least $2000. This is from Trudeau, if they actually enforce it is beyond me.

If we follow the same script we did last spring, by the time the dust settles it will be taxpayers paying for the hotels, as well as room service from 5 star dining establishments.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Pm me what were you going to say.
nah, it's the same every-*******-where. Italy's Gov just blew up. Done, over with. Opposition? Nope, no chance they'll come in and do anything. The only way out is an non-political/technocratic government (which everyone can hate without taking sides). Then in a year or so they parties will get back at being idiots and not wanting to take responsability for any actions taken during this shit.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Definitely, it is and will continue to be a bad situation. For many reasons.

I am a middle-of-pack person, thinking some restrictions are stupid, other are good/necessary. I just reacted to the numbers comparison. I think US is around 50'000/year suicide while we're coming up on 500'000 for covid. It'll never be close imo, of course I could be wrong about that, but that would be insane.

Of course there will be deaths because of covid restrictions, the economic toll has been and continues to be heavy. The owner of my local pub is completely desperate. His kid (gov worker) gives him 100 eur per month to eat, while the debt for holding a license/locazione keeps building up by 10'000 per month. Crazy stuff.

edit: the point about owner/kid is that the father(owner) is ashamed. taking money from his kid to eat. edit 2: maybe that was obvious

Last edited:

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Definitely, it is and will continue to be a bad situation. For many reasons.

I am a middle-of-pack person, thinking some restrictions are stupid, other are good/necessary. I just reacted to the numbers comparison. I think US is around 50'000/year suicide while we're coming up on 500'000 for covid. It'll never be close imo, of course I could be wrong about that, but that would be insane.

Of course there will be deaths because of covid restrictions, the economic toll has been and continues to be heavy. The owner of my local pub is completely desperate. His kid (gov worker) gives him 100 eur per month to eat, while the debt for holding a license/locazione keeps building up by 10'000 per month. Crazy stuff.

edit: the point about owner/kid is that the father(owner) is ashamed. taking money from his kid to eat.

Indeed, it's terrible everywhere. People being evicted (or were) with such high unemployment rates have to assume many people became homeless. Those that are still sticking with it have been stressed to the max over the last year (almost a year) and with how slow they're rolling out the vaccines, we're so far behind they falsely doubled the numbers of vaccinated people out of shame. And yeah, same thing happened in NY where rent is some of the highest in the world, even when the economy is bouncing you need to be well off to own a business in big cities. It's a shame, so many small businesses are going to disappear, more suicides, drug or alcohol issues and the overall debt we've incurred as a Country (thanks to Turdope) I don't think we'll ever be the same, even when he's finally ousted.

Reactions: oilers'72 and LaGu

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I don't imagine they are the only ones.

Any corporation is going to look at subsidies whether they need it or not.

Tons of them. And not really blaming the companies for taking the money when offered. The bad taste is the dividend, which has the smell of being paid with taxpayers money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad