OT: Coronavirus XXXV: Y'all Got Any More of Them Vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Never EVER thought I'd say this 7-10 months ago...but I'm actually relieved that I'm living in the USA instead of Canada right now. USA might have a worse healthcare situation, but in reading this thread, it sounds as though Canada has the far worse governmental situation, which will ultimately affect healthcare in the long run.

Not to get too political, but for as much as I complain about our government, after watching the shitshow down south for the last four years, I will gladly keep our situation, warts and all. ;)

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Never EVER thought I'd say this 7-10 months ago...but I'm actually relieved that I'm living in the USA instead of Canada right now. USA might have a worse healthcare situation, but in reading this thread, it sounds as though Canada has the far worse governmental situation, which will ultimately affect healthcare in the long run.

Under the current regime, you'd pray for that. Or else you'll get:

"675,ooo from the Spanish flu? Hold our Domaine de la Romanee."

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Strikes me as a little odd that we're testing 13K people in a day to come up with 450 cases and 3% positivity. There is now way this is consistent with people legitimately thinking they actually have this, and maybe 10% of the tests are warranted for that reason.. More the case I wonder how much the taxpayer is paying out here for people that need tests for work, travel, or the "I went to a party and now I want the covid test" types..

Further, we've now almost doubled the amount of tests completed vs actual people tested.

This costs ample resources of time, facilities, staff, and the costs of all the test kits.

By all means people who think they are sick should be getting tested no charge. people that are just getting tests for their own reasons should probably userpay at this point.

Reactions: oilers'72

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Strikes me as a little odd that we're testing 13K people in a day to come up with 450 cases and 3% positivity. There is now way this is consistent with people legitimately thinking they actually have this, and maybe 10% of the tests are warranted for that reason.. More the case I wonder how much the taxpayer is paying out here for people that need tests for work, travel, or the "I went to a party and now I want the covid test" types..

Further, we've now almost doubled the amount of tests completed vs actual people tested.

This costs ample resources of time, facilities, staff, and the costs of all the test kits.

By all means people who think they are sick should be getting tested no charge. people that are just getting tests for their own reasons should probably userpay at this point.

The province does not do asymptomatic testing unless it is on people who are arriving from out of country. If you have any of the following symptoms (no matter how minor):
  • cough
  • fever
  • shortness of breath
  • runny nose
  • sore throat
You are required, by law, to self isolate for 10 days or until symptoms resolve (whichever is longer) unless you have a negative COVID result. So you probably do have a lot of people getting tested that don't think they have it. But any of these people might have it and need to test negative before they are allowed to even leave their homes.

It's a once in a century pandemic. Now probably isn't the time to worry about the cost of test kits.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The province does not do asymptomatic testing unless it is on people who are arriving from out of country. If you have any of the following symptoms (no matter how minor):
  • cough
  • fever
  • shortness of breath
  • runny nose
  • sore throat
You are required, by law, to self isolate for 10 days or until symptoms resolve (whichever is longer) unless you have a negative COVID result. So you probably do have a lot of people getting tested that don't think they have it. But any of these people might have it and need to test negative before they are allowed to even leave their homes.

It's a once in a century pandemic. Now probably isn't the time to worry about the cost of test kits.

Thats being a decidedly draconian take on the situation. One fit for a peoples republic..

We live in a winter climate with severe temps. Every time I go outside for an hour in -20-30 windchill conditions my nose runs a bit, strangely its been that my whole life. Indeed this is common in people and an adaptation to severe cold. Should all those people rush for tests. Is there going to be somebody knocking at my door the next time I shovel the whole block and I have to wipe my nose. lol, have we come to that? Oh, a man outside is wiping his nose. He may even have coughed. Call the swat squad!

Get thee to a test immediately harks the herald. ;)

Lest thee have the temptation to leave ones yonder home abandon all hope, for ye have come to the darkside and cavort with evil portent..;)

Its clear what I was stating. People are using AHS services, tests for reasons other than that they actually think they have the pandemic. I would suggest that may be an improper use of those services as well as medical staff, AHS nurses, etc, that could be used for other things, you know to provide health care services aside from Covid-19, that we haven't been seeing in almost a year.

My worry would be that we have abandoned hospitals and AHS to the pandemic. To some future point, with no clear end in sight and no seeming conception of when things might return to somewhat normal usage.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Thats being a decidedly draconian take on the situation. One fit for a peoples republic..

We live in a winter climate with severe temps. Every time I go outside for an hour in -20-30 windchill conditions my nose runs a bit, strangely its been that my whole life. Indeed this is common in people and an adaptation to severe cold. Should all those people rush for tests. Is there going to be somebody knocking at my door the next time I shovel the whole block and I have to wipe my nose. lol, have we come to that? Oh, a man outside is wiping his nose. He may even have coughed. Call the swat squad!

Lest thee have the temptation to leave ones yonder home abandon all hope, for ye have come to the darkside and cavort with evil portent..;)

Its clear what I was stating. People are using AHS services, tests for reasons other than that they actually think they have the pandemic. I would suggest that may be an improper use of those services as well as medical staff, AHS nurses, etc, that could be used for other things, you know to provide health care services aside from Covid-19, that we haven't been seeing in almost a year.

My worry would be that we have abandoned hospitals and AHS to the pandemic. To some future point, with no clear end in sight and no seeming conception of when things might return to somewhat normal usage.

You’ve thrown out a lot of your own ideas and fancies in this thread as if they are fact.

The fact is you don’t have a clue why people are getting tested. You don’t have a clue why hospitalization and ICUs are falling more slowly than you want to believe they should be.

You see numbers and you make up your own reasons for them that fit your world view.

Reactions: Declassified

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Brilliant move. Knows no one will go out anyway in this crap.;)
I don't even know if they opened up everything else that there would be all that many people going out. Who was really going to go out yesterday?

I didn't even want to drive the extra little bit to get gas yesterday. Figured I'd do it this morning. At least if roads were shit there wasn't going to be anyone on them.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

I believe this statement to be false. I would lay money down that we will see this type of event again within the next twenty years.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The health 'experts' do nothing for LTC homes (where the majority of Deaths, Hospitalizations, etc. come from) yet have time for the team to draw up rules so the Bachelorette can come to Alberta. They care nothing except for the circles they drift in and in those you don't become a rock star except by bringing down those Covid numbers. Ghouls.

LEVY: Loneliness and isolation from lockdowns immeasurable for seniors | Toronto Sun

"A couple of days ago, Havas begged her daughter to get her out of there and to leave her out on the street “to die,” said Ritter."

Bachelorette franchise coming to Alberta | Edmonton Journal.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

In Ontario its "NEW OR WORSENING SYMPTOMS" A Runny nose or a cough from the cold or allergies doesn't mean you need to go take a test, if you are sitting around doing nothing and you begin to cough/runny nose then you should get a test. Its common sense, I don't think anyone (except some over zealous schools back in in October) is saying every runny nose = test.

also, some professions require people to get tested every day before a shift. Its not unreasonable for the number of tests to be higher than the population because its possible many people might have been exposed via workplace or shopping multiple times. Its not 1 test per person... exposure events can happen multiple times if one out and about ( limit your trips people).

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Yes, along with other Ppd supplies. I think the correct term is gave away. They also didn't rotate millions of bucks in ppd supplies and threw them in landfills instead prior to the pandemic. They bought tones, warehoused it, and everybody just let it sit there till it all expired. As if that wouldn't be better than what we got.

Canada also allowed the clearing of retail shelves within canada, by operatives that were shipping our retail stock around the world, under our noses. Which is why you couldn't find anything on the shelves for several months.

Blame Trudeau for that. They expired in 2014. Before he was PM. That seems like a Harper issue, not rotating the stock.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
The health 'experts' do nothing for LTC homes (where the majority of Deaths, Hospitalizations, etc. come from) yet have time for the team to draw up rules so the Bachelorette can come to Alberta. They care nothing except for the circles they drift in and in those you don't become a rock star except by bringing down those Covid numbers. Ghouls.

LEVY: Loneliness and isolation from lockdowns immeasurable for seniors | Toronto Sun

"A couple of days ago, Havas begged her daughter to get her out of there and to leave her out on the street “to die,” said Ritter."

Bachelorette franchise coming to Alberta | Edmonton Journal.

Sorry I fail to see how both are connected in any sort of way. It was like those people complaining about the NHL playoff bubble too. Bachelorette is all being done with private money - covid tests, isolation, travel. None of the people on the show will interact with the general population except for the hotel staff.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
If these were around in 2020, do you think they would of caused as much chaos as covid has?
No because unlike covid we chose to allow our immune systems to learn and fight these viruses. With Covid we have chosen to hide and hope it goes away. So what happens in a decade or so when covid re-emerges? I’ll tell you what happens the exact same thing as is happening right now we hide because this seems to be the consensus way that we have chosen to “fight” this virus.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You’ve thrown out a lot of your own ideas and fancies in this thread as if they are fact.

The fact is you don’t have a clue why people are getting tested. You don’t have a clue why hospitalization and ICUs are falling more slowly than you want to believe they should be.

You see numbers and you make up your own reasons for them that fit your world view.

Welcome to the human species. So do you, and anybody.

It was clearly speculation. 3% positivity numbers are pretty clear indication its not just people that are very ill getting tested. Especially in a year where there is no flu. Put it together. Very clear that some other reasons for tests are going on, and if they are work or travel related it should be pay out of pocket, not public expense. Although I could see where your world view says pay for everything no questions asked..

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
No because unlike covid we chose to allow our immune systems to learn and fight these viruses. With Covid we have chosen to hide and hope it goes away. So what happens in a decade or so when covid re-emerges? I’ll tell you what happens the exact same thing as is happening right now we hide because this seems to be the consensus way that we have chosen to “fight” this virus.
reminds of me of the great George Carlin

"trade away their freedom for the illusion of security"

NSFW

22 year-old routine and never more relevant

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Welcome to the human species. So do you, and anybody.

It was clearly speculation. 3% positivity numbers are pretty clear indication its not just people that are very ill getting tested. Especially in a year where there is no flu. Put it together. Very clear that some other reasons for tests are going on, and if they are work or travel related it should be pay out of pocket, not public expense. Although I could see where your world view says pay for everything no questions asked..

Testing has never been reserved for very ill people. It has been for if you exhibit any of the core symptoms regardless of how severe. They’ve added things and removed things at times, but other than at the very start when it was reserved for those who had travelled or close contacts it has always been those core symptoms.

Obviously if you get a runny nose when you’re shovelling because it’s cold you don’t need a test. But if you wake up in the morning and your throat is a bit sore or a you have a new small cough? You bet your ass they want you to get tested. Not only that, you are required to self isolate until you do.

Reactions: joestevens29

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Testing has never been reserved for very ill people. It has been for if you exhibit any of the core symptoms regardless of how severe. They’ve added things and removed things at times, but other than at the very start when it was reserved for those who had travelled or close contacts it has always been those core symptoms.

Obviously if you get a runny nose when you’re shovelling because it’s cold you don’t need a test. But if you wake up in the morning and your throat is a bit sore or a you have a new small cough? You bet your ass they want you to get tested. Not only that, you are required to self isolate until you do.
So you have been locked in your house for over a month and you wake up with a sore throat one morning. Explain why you would go get tested? Unless you had gone to a store or anywhere out in public why would a test be necessary? Is it not possible you just have a sore throat like happened on occasion before the pandemic?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So you have been locked in your house for over a month and you wake up with a sore throat one morning. Explain why you would go get tested? Unless you had gone to a store or anywhere out in public why would a test be necessary? Is it not possible you just have a sore throat like happened on occasion before the pandemic?

Bang, and exactly.

Anecdotally heres 3 common reasons for getting tests that shouldnt really be public paid tests. Amply user pay testing streams exist.

1) I just partied on the weekend and passing around the spliffs I might have got covid (I wish I was making this one up_

2) I need the test for work

3) I need the test for travel.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I would think a fever probably is the big symptom for getting tested. I get a sore throat and runny nose a bit from time to time, but haven't been sick because of it. As mentioned, being outside shoveling snow, or eating some spicy food, or drinking some beer and getting a reaction from it resulting in a clogged noggin and resultant sore throat.

Reactions: AM and oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese