OT: Coronavirus XXXV: Y'all Got Any More of Them Vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So you have been locked in your house for over a month and you wake up with a sore throat one morning. Explain why you would go get tested? Unless you had gone to a store or anywhere out in public why would a test be necessary? Is it not possible you just have a sore throat like happened on occasion before the pandemic?
Second deliberately dishonest argument from you guys where you try and argue logical extremes to... I guess be allowed to break the law and potentially put others at risk? Congrats on that

Have fun in your little echo chamber lol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So you have been locked in your house for over a month and you wake up with a sore throat one morning. Explain why you would go get tested? Unless you had gone to a store or anywhere out in public why would a test be necessary? Is it not possible you just have a sore throat like happened on occasion before the pandemic?
How many people does this apply to?

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
That's a pretty substantial drop in hospitalizations for sure. Another weekly drop like that and we're well under 500.
If this keeps up, the CBC might let up on trashing us as to how we're handling the pandemic.
That’s not possible.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Great news. By springtime Canada will have enough vaccines to give one shots to the same percentage of people that the UK have vaccinated already. But fall we'll catch up to Israel. if shipments are on time..

Officials insist Canada still on track for 4M Pfizer doses by March despite planning data (msn.com)

yes i'm being sarcastic about great news..

Wow, we're still on track for a pathetically slow roll out due to fed acquirement and decisions. Hope people remember all this.

I'm sure they won't

Reactions: oilers'72

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Great news. By springtime Canada will have enough vaccines to give one shots to the same percentage of people that the UK have vaccinated already. But fall we'll catch up to Israel. if shipments are on time..

Officials insist Canada still on track for 4M Pfizer doses by March despite planning data (msn.com)

yes i'm being sarcastic about great news..

Wow, we're still on track for a pathetically slow roll out due to fed acquirement and decisions. Hope people remember all this.

Jr is the Teflon man. Another day, another cutback. The increase dosage to six per vial is not standard, apparently only occurring in 50% of the vials. We will get 30M doses delivered to the provinces on Sept 30 and Jr will tell us it’s a provincial problem now.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Jr is the Teflon man. Another day, another cutback. The increase dosage to six per vial is not standard, apparently only occurring in 50% of the vials. We will get 30M doses delivered to the provinces on Sept 30 and Jr will tell us it’s a provincial problem now.
I was thinking rest of the entire 1st quarter vaccines would all arrive on March 31st in one big batch, and then on April 2nd he would be bitching at the provinces for lagging behind with vaccinations.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
All metrics keep going down every day. Time to at least reopen a few more things before a riot ensues.

I think that will be coming soon. I sensed the frustration in Shandro's voice today when he mentioned that their plans keep having to get altered each day when they get news of further vaccine cutbacks. I think by this time next week if we see hospitalization numbers in the low 400's that restrictions will be loosened. Which means to expect scathing CBC articles about Alberta starting back up right around then.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah I need some transparency. I'm all for measures and stuff but if none of it looks like it makes sense or there is no idea or look into wtf they are doing...it's hard to swallow.

Its what I've been saying for weeks now. They will not reopen until all of active cases, hospital cases and ICU are down. But everything is going down EXCEPT ICU, which is somehow going up.. This pretty much spells out that there area lot of stuck cases in ICU that are there for a long time. So that any new cases requiring care just add to the ones that are not being resolved successfully.

But some cases of Covid never really recover, and can need ICU assistance almost indefinitely. Similar to how extreme COPD sufferers need ventilation for months. The virus pandemic could be over and the ICU cases would still be hanging around 100.

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Its what I've been saying for weeks now. They will not reopen until all of active cases, hospital cases and ICU are down. But everything is going down EXCEPT ICU, which is somehow going up.. This pretty much spells out that there area lot of stuck cases in ICU that are there for a long time. So that any new cases requiring care just add to the ones that are not being resolved successfully.

But some cases of Covid never really require, and can need ICU assistance almost indefinitely. Similar to how extreme COPD sufferers need ventilation for months. The virus pandemic could be over and the ICU cases would still be hanging around 100.

Beyond my pay grade, but not sure there is an answer to reduce ICU levels quickly. Going on the assumption that we have competent staff that are assessing these people correctly and that they require the length of stay that they do.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Bang, and exactly.

Anecdotally heres 3 common reasons for getting tests that shouldnt really be public paid tests. Amply user pay testing streams exist.

1) I just partied on the weekend and passing around the spliffs I might have got covid (I wish I was making this one up_

2) I need the test for work

3) I need the test for travel.
The goal of public paid testing is to test, identify and isolate as many people as possible with the virus and their close contacts, in that spirit, testing should remain publicly paid, otherwise you'll have people in your first group not get tested and more community spread. The good outweighs the bad in every possible metric with public vs private testing. You actually just provided really good reasonings against user pay. In my opinion the only user pay tests should be those for travel since travel is unnecessary at the moment, even then im not entirely against public testing for travel. Its about identifying and isolating.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Beyond my pay grade, but not sure there is an answer to reduce ICU levels quickly. Going on the assumption that we have competent staff that are assessing these people correctly and that they require the length of stay that they do.

Its terrible to say, but most jurisdictions in the world have had something like covid death wards where people were not expected to recover. Those extremely severe poor prognosis cases were not in ICU for several months at a time. They were in another ward, and still getting care, but not expected to recover.

Ethically in Alberta, we have made the decision NOT to have that nature of transfer of any patients, they are remaining in ICU beds. Its an ethical quandary that most jurisdictions have not even had the good fortune, or luxury, to consider, they just ended up with the death ward decisions out of sheer necessity.

I mean of course you try to save every life if you can, fine and good.

But if you're saying that 4.2M people cannot resume more normal lives because of that, it becomes some other kind of thing.

I'm not saying one way or the other what to do with extremely ill patients, its just that you can't restrict a whole province on that basis of how we have specifically structured our ICU decisions.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The goal of public paid testing is to test, identify and isolate as many people as possible with the virus and their close contacts, in that spirit, testing should remain publicly paid, otherwise you'll have people in your first group not get tested and more community spread. The good outweighs the bad in every possible metric with public vs private testing. You actually just provided really good reasonings against user pay. In my opinion the only user pay tests should be those for travel since travel is unnecessary at the moment, even then im not entirely against public testing for travel. Its about identifying and isolating.

No I hear you. I realize all that, and well stated. Logically that follows. But we're at a stage in a pandemic where its been a long long time and frustrations can heighten. Sometimes I'm just venting a bit. Or more often than sometimes..;)

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Its terrible to say, but most jurisdictions in the world have had something like covid death wards where people were not expected to recover. Those extremely severe poor prognosis cases were not in ICU for several months at a time. They were in another ward, and still getting care, but not expected to recover.

Ethically in Alberta, we have made the decision NOT to have that nature of transfer of any patients, they are remaining in ICU beds. Its an ethical quandary that most jurisdictions have not even had the good fortune, or luxury, to consider, they just ended up with the death ward decisions out of sheer necessity.

But if you're saying that 4.2M people cannot resume more normal lives because of that, it becomes some other kind of thing.

I'm not saying one way or the other what to do with extremely ill patients, its just that you can't restrict a whole province on that basis.

Fair points. And I suspect the government agrees with you, and is heading in the direction you suggest, probably in the next week. It is interesting on social media that is seems like 1/2 the people hate the Alberta Govt's COVID response because of too many restrictions, and 1/2 hate them because they want more and longer restrictions. Whatever the decision is, the outrage will be very audible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA