OT: Coronavirus XXXV: Y'all Got Any More of Them Vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
As a person who has strong ties to both Canada and the US, it's disappointing to see the new administration continue the "America First" policy for vaccines at the expense of its closest ally, which (as the article highlights) hamstrung Canada's vaccine supply efforts at the end of 2020. That being said, I have witnessed first hand how well the "America First" policy plays down here, even among moderates and swing voters, so I can understand why they are continuing it on a hot button topic because unfortunately it's always an election cycle down here.

It will take a few years, but it appears one result of this pandemic will be that Canada's ability to manufacture vaccines domestically will be restored. Canada used to have a domestic vaccine manufacturing capacity; however, it was inefficient (even for the '80s) and required modernization. The Mulroney government began the process of selling off the assets rather than upgrading them. The dismantling of the domestic capabilities continued with subsequent administrations (both Liberal and PC) - because it was easy and saved money in the short-term? The H1N1 scare in 2009 should have caused an immediate reassessment by the Harper government about whether Canada should be dependent upon external entities for vaccine manufacturing; they did nothing substantial. Nonetheless, just because Harper dropped the ball doesn't absolve Trudeau from not correcting an obvious error over the 5 years he was in office prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Kinda funny how that works. One us administration leaves and another one comes in and they have the same policies. I wonder if the media will be lambasting Biden for his policies?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I figured hospitalization numbers would be close to the 450 level before we even got to the initial restriction phase on Feb 8. ;) Based on the 4.4% hospitalization rate, and taking the lag into consideration, should be down to around 300-325 within another 10 days, as long as daily case numbers remain similar.

Shit, at this rate, we'll be ready for phase 3 in about a week and a half. Let's have a concert to start March off!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Kinda funny how that works. One us administration leaves and another one comes in and they have the same policies. I wonder if the media will be lambasting Biden for his policies?
Biden is just a relief after all the drama and shitshow of the Donald. But give it a while, and we'll see how everyone likes the way things are going. The U.S. just can't seem to find any middle ground these days.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hey guys.

I ran some tests. Virus is gone. We can go back to making money.
ok-but-consider-this-who-cares.jpg

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Biden is just a relief after all the drama and shitshow of the Donald. But give it a while, and we'll see how everyone likes the way things are going. The U.S. just can't seem to find any middle ground these days.
That’s because no middle ground is how they like it. The big idea of the left is for everyone to be an ant and the big idea of the right is for everyone to be an island. Not a lot of common ground. And of course, prospective emperors like ants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad